Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 02:37 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
True enough unfortunately.... but then I don't think she would be able to keep the baby....

Trouble with the sterilization policy is where's the line?
I know that question arises with other issues but I don't see a big requirement to introduce this one.
You're willing to incarcerate a person for destroying the rights of another, their child, yet you hold her reproductive rights higher than the rights of a child that could be born to her again.
I don't get it.
Why pass on her genes to another human?

You don't want to know my stand on birth control.
I believe in negative population growth, and if it were up to me, and I'm well aware that it is not, everyone would be sterilized from birth.

Last edited by chielgirl; 07-27-2009 at 02:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 02:45 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
I wonder why her family members would have left her alone with the baby knowing she had severe mental problems

Old 07-27-2009, 02:49 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,564,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
You're willing to incarcerate a person for destroying the rights of another, their child, yet you hold her reproductive rights higher than the rights of a child that could be born to her again.
I don't get it.
Why pass on her genes to another human?

You don't want to know my stand on birth control.
I believe in negative population growth, and if it were up to me, and I'm well aware that it is not, everyone would be sterilized from birth.
Tried to rep ya. I can't understand it either. Something this heinous & people worry about violating someone's right to have kids. Give me a break.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:52 PM

558 posts, read 818,822 times
I have a question for everyone. If her mental illness could be cured or its symptoms suppressed, do you think she should be allowed to be treated and released?

I'll reserve my opinion for the time being.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostInTheShell View Post
I have a question for everyone. If her mental illness could be cured or its symptoms suppressed, do you think she should be allowed to be treated and released? I'll reserve my opinion for the time being.
Do people who get life in prison for murdering someone, do they get the same option? Or is it just this particular person?

Old 07-27-2009, 02:56 PM

558 posts, read 818,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Do people who get life in prison for murdering someone, do they get the same option? Or is it just this particular person?
I don't know, but if I had to guess, I'd say that many mentally ill people who've killed others have been executed or sentenced to life in prison. And yes, my question applies broadly to mental illness in general.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostInTheShell View Post
I don't know, but if I had to guess, I'd say that many mentally ill people who've killed others have been executed or sentenced to life in prison. And yes, my question applies broadly to mental illness in general.
I think pretty much everyone who kills someone & it's not self-defense has mental problems.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:04 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,033,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I think that one is a no-brainer.
Oh, snap!

Old 07-27-2009, 03:10 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,646,342 times
Default No second chances!

And I don't mean she should be sterilized because I don't want to open that door. I mean she should either be confined to a maximum security prison or sanitarium for the rest of her life, or she should face the death penalty. I don't care how crazy she is, this cannot go unpunished. The story mentioned that other crazy woman who got away with killing her kids. Not guilty by reason of insanity. How is that even possible? You may be found insane, and that may be enough reason not to put you to death. But that doesn't mean you are not guilty of the crime which was committed. It's like our society will search for any way they can to decriminalize a criminal.

The bottom line in any case like this should be there is a person or persons who are no longer alive because of the actions of another. True, maybe they are insane. But that doesn't change what they have done. And, if they are truly insane, they should be uncontrollable and wild all the time. Just as the woman must have been when she stabbed, dismembered, and ate her child. You don't just snap out of that sort of psychosis all of a sudden and say, "Wow, did I do that?" If you are crazy enough to do this sort of thing, you should never again be allowed to walk with others in society. Live or die, you should never be seen again.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:12 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,351,683 times
I think it is interesting in addition to the lack of compassion being demonstrated here by those who are quick to judge, no one has mentioned that the woman had two healthy children who were unharmed during her breakdown nor that she apparently had a previous mental health issue nor that her husband had just walked out leaving her to care for three small children. That is a lot of stress, especially for one who may be suffering from post-partum depression on top of everything else. Why is there no outrage at the father's behavior? Isn't he equally responsible for the welfare and safety of his children?

I find this thread disturbing for two reasons: one, the lack of compassion for the mentally ill, usually by the same people who p*** and moan about all their tax dollars that support mental health and then act so alarmed when people fall through the cracks because mental health budgets are dramatically being slashed. Second, the fundamental chauvanism that pervades our society and holds women to a higher standard of conduct. Why isn't any one suggesting that the guards who rape female prisoners be sterilized? Or men who walk out on their families? If it is okay to suggest sterilization for a woman whose children end up needing public assistence, then surely dead-beat dads are equally good candidates for forced sterilization. It is a far easier procedure and would cost the taxpayers far less. Surely he was aware of her condition: he had eyes, didn't he? Couldn't he see that something was wrong? Why isn't he responsible for abandoning those children and not insisting she and they have constant supervision? Didn't he contribute to the neglect that allowed this tragedy to happen?

I am all for this woman being held accountable for her actions, but what's good for the goose is good for the gander, eh? The knee-jerk solutions I am hearing here are not viable. And, BTW, she did try to commit suicide. If you are bent on placing blame, there's plenty to go around; so don't forget Dad for contributing to the situation. The woman needs to recieve mental health care, in a prison for the criminally insane, if that sets your little hearts at peace, and if at the end of her treatment, she is deemed to still be a threat, she can be transferred to a women's prison to serve out the rest of her sentence. Just make sure Dad doesn't walk off with a get out of jail free card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies