Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 05:33 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times

Advertisements

Why does America need changes to Health Care? Things are fine just the way they are.
Why didn't the conservatives put these ideas forth during the 8 years of Bush?
Or, is it that conservatives just discovered on Nov 4, 2008, that healthcare needed changes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 05:34 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,466,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I'd like to start heavily prosecuting people for medical fraud and/or heavily fining them.
Lets start with insurance companies.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:38 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
Liberals are always whining and whining about conservatives not offering solutions to problems like health care, will here's one solution courtesy of Newt Gingrich. I like parts of it, but too much of it is too similar to Obamacare. But it's still better than what the Dems are offering.

Stop Fraud First | Center for Health Transformation

Personally, I like a few of his points, but I have issues.

Number 1 is good. We need to cut down on fraud in every government program.

Number 2 I have a serious issue with. I would hope that (a) only the right people have access to those records and (b) since it’s electronic, it had better be backed up and secured.

Number 3 I also have an issue with. It could easily be fixed in a much better and simpler way by giving all the tax incentives to the individual rather than the companies.

Number 4 I have minor issues with. We should be the best healthcare system in the world, but what if some people prefer alternative methods of medicine which are often looked down upon by the mainstream medical community? My mother being a prime example of how alternative medicine can greatly improve one’s life.

Number 5 is tort reform. Absolutely critical.

Number 6 is something I’m divided on. Research into finding new treatments and/or cures to Alzhiemer’s, diabetes, and other chronic diseases is a good thing. Money would help on that front, but I’m not sure if I’d want government more involved in research than it already is.

Number 1 is good. We need to cut down on fraud in every government program.

Number 2 I have a serious issue with. I would hope that (a) only the right people have access to those records (Who are the right people?) and (b) since it’s electronic, it had better be backed up and secured - WITH HARD COPY (Preferably hemp paper) Electronic is too easy to manipulate. Should be able to keep your own records and not allow doctors or anyone in the "profession" to keep your records without your permission. Not to be shared with the Government without your permission and without any extortive trade-offs, either.

I am currently involved in a federal court case where the judge changed the trial transcript by retyping the electronic word document submitted by the court reporter. Good thing I was able to get a copy of the magnetic tape of the proceedings. Entire witness testimonies and questions were changed by the judge to protect the Government agency. But I've got hard copy! I am hoping to put the judge in prison. The case involves the release of biohazards from lawful control, by bureaucratic stupidity and petty malice. It wasn't the scientists - it was the bureaucrats!

Number 3 Abolish the IRS and the Federal Reserve.

Number 4 I have major issues with. We should be the best healthcare system in the world, but what if some people prefer alternative methods of medicine which are often looked down upon by the mainstream medical community? The European Union and the U.S. have been trying to outlaw supplements and alternative treatments for years.

Number 5 Tort reform is bad. I trust juries more than bureaucrats and "professionals". The patient needs to retain the right to dictate treatment and be responsible for the outcome.

Number 6 Keep the Medical Indulgent Complex and the Government from suppressing effective technology on which they have no monopoly.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:43 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,117,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Seems like Obama has already covered those bases except for number 5.
Being an attorney himself, why would you think he's not touching tort reform?

I think with that alone, we'd be able to bring the costs of healthcare down SUBSTANTIALLY.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:27 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,269,357 times
Because trial lawyers don't want tort reform and they have a strangle-hold over the democratic party.

And ergohead, I agree with you execep #3 because there is no way we are ever going to get rid of the Fed no matter who bad they need to be gone. The IRS could be done away with with a simple fair tax, but that's a whole 'nother topic.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I'd like to start heavily prosecuting people for medical fraud and/or heavily fining them.
Who do you think is committing all this fraud? Hint: it's not, for the most part, individual patients.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:37 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
I find it surprising how similar Newt's plan is to Obama's. Perhaps there is common ground between the two sides.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:27 AM

1,902 posts, read 2,468,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Why does America need changes to Health Care? Things are fine just the way they are.
Or, is it that conservatives just discovered on Nov 4, 2008, that healthcare needed changes?

That is a good question.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
KUNC: You Call That Insurance? (2009-07-27)

Old 07-28-2009, 06:10 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Seems like Obama has already covered those bases except for number 5.
Actually, he has not addressed these points in any depth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies