Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 07:30 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,670,294 times

Advertisements

^
start another thread about teachers unions. Totally off topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 07:31 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,039,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
I wasn't aware that we don't have a choice. I must have missed the memo when I chose what school to send my child to.
So you can pick the school you want your children to go to without financial consequence?

Old 07-28-2009, 07:31 AM

1,930 posts, read 1,819,646 times
I love Bill Maher. He really hits Palin hard often.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:32 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,041,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
I feel that their heavy mix into politics has only hurt the education system. Over the last 30 years since the NEA has backed the Democratic Party can you tell me that the public school system has improved?

The teachers union is a group of self interested union bullies. They want no accountability directed toward their teachers by getting them tenured out the ass. Then they lobby against school vouchers and choice when children maybe able to get a more fulfilling education at another school. The unionization of teachers has significantly hurt our education system.

Teachers unions say 'jump,' Congress says 'how high?' | Washington Examiner (http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/columns/TimothyCarney/Teachers-unions-say-jump-Congress-says-how-high-40384837.html - broken link)
Lobbyists are the ruin of America in many,many ways....but I still fail to see how THIS has hurt education.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:37 AM

37,757 posts, read 40,852,602 times
Yup, we're stupid and that effete little snob sniffing his rarified air has it made in the shade. You see, on networks that are beholden to ratings to survive, the number of people watching Maher would matter but Maher is only playing to the Hollywood crowd because HBO doesn't get its money from advertising. It gets its money from number of subscribers to HBO not number of HBO subscribers who watch Bill Maher. Bill Maher exists for Hollywood. HBO wants Hollywood to vote for Bill Maher awards. So HBO serves up Maher and original series that will please that Hollywood crowd that votes on awards for television. To the rest of their subscribers, they offer movies.

So sure he attacks conservatives. He's in it for the accolades from people who vote for awards in Hollywood. He's not in it for the number of people who watch his show.

If you can get your movies, elsewhere, think about dropping your HBO subscription. If asked why, tell them - Bill Maher.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:39 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,504,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
We elected Bush twice (well, almost twice) and almost elected Palin.

The evidence is pretty stark. We're stupid.

How many times will you people fall into this?

These same "stupid people" elected Obama. Doesnt say much for Obama.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:44 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,041,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
How many times will you people fall into this?

These same "stupid people" elected Obama. Doesnt say much for Obama.
So YOU voted for Obama too

Old 07-28-2009, 07:48 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,504,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
So YOU voted for Obama too

Nope. But didnt vote for Bush in either of the last two elections either. Actually didnt vote at all the last two elections.

The one that's stupid is the person saying that Americans are dumb because they elected Bush twice yet forgetting that these same, apparently "dumb" people also picked Obama this time.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:48 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,809,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
I think since he thinks we are so stupid that he should go to France and see if he can get a TV show.

YouTube - Bill Maher Discusses Palin, Gates Arrest, Health Care Reform On CNN

and ur offended why americans are stupid when u have people saying tey want to protect u and then yet tanper with the patiot act and constitution and americans sy nothing, and many of these same americans are saying/crying we're now a communist country we're dumb but yet we can have tea parties and **** cause its for partisan reasons

Old 07-28-2009, 07:52 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,149,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
The only problem with Bill Maher is that he tells the truth.
The main reason why he is despised. The stupid ones live in their bubbles and don't take kindly to anyone trying to put dents in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies