Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 04:09 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Why does anyone care what Bill Maher thinks? He's an arrogant self-agrandizing slob that isn't at all funny when he tries to be funny, what did he ever do in life that he should be famous for doing it? He's boring as all hell. He seems to believe he's far more intelligent than any other person in the USA - but what is that based upon?
Be consoled that when Jesus returns (to the USA, of course) Maher will be in the first wave of those sent off to hell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 09:15 PM

377 posts, read 326,260 times
[quote=doctorhugo;13093613]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhorn View Post
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for making it easy to reply to what has become a lengthy exchange.

You and I define common-sense differently. You restrict it to an infantile 'what you see is what you have' sense. I give it much greater weight than your dismissive definition. (Btw, you never addressed my Will Rogers example) If common-sense were so common then we'd have more "common" people around like a Will Rogers, a Harry Truman, a Studs Terkel,... I could go on, but you still wouldn't get it. Too bad! You have your opinion and I have mine and never shall they ever agree. And like I already said, the proper usage requires the hyphenation I use it as the meaning is dependent upon the inter-relationship of the meanings of BOTH words. Common-sense is an acquired ability, not an inherent characteristic or a given Pavlovian response mechanism. It requires the cultivation of observation and rational analysis. A sense, an awareness, an intelligence of observation...pay attention...common to all things observed resulting in a sometimes profound conclusion, but always a valid point. That is the common reference you fail to observe. Pity you cannot realize that.
What you're describing is not 'common' nor is it' related to the idea of any sort of phenomenological sense.

You seem to equate people with a gift for eloquence (Rogers/Terkel) with CS.

Why would you do that? By the fact of their work, Rogers and Terkel are conveying ideas that are anything but common.

Your tortured definition of CS as something acquired (and by all accounts, cultivated) takes it out of the realm of the common.

If CS were as profound and cultivated as you aver, it wouldn't be common now would it?

Old 02-28-2010, 11:55 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Maher is certainly one to talk of intelligence.
Does he think because he's on TV and a bunch of leftist neo-comms think he's cute, that equals intelligence on his part?

Old 03-01-2010, 12:03 AM

301 posts, read 282,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I have to agree with Maher because of the results of November 4, 2008. I do wonder how many of that 53% that voted the way they did are not OMG voters today.

Anyway here is some Maher for left leaners.

Newsmax.com - Bill Maher: U.S. Stupid If It Can Elect Sarah Palin (http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/maher_americans_stupid/2009/07/28/240765.html?s=al&promo_code=8445-1 - broken link)
Your thread title *US Full of Stupid People" certainly seems to be true, based on just looking at those die-hard supporters of Sarah Palin...IMO that is absolutely stupid.I saw Maher on Larry King Live and he made a statement that the Democrats should stick to their positions on issues instead of backing down simply because somebody (Republicans) complained about those positions, LIKE, having the terrorist trial in New York City near the site of the 9/ll attacks. He made the point that most folks in the U.S. are not bright enough to understand all the complexities of some of those issues, however, he did say that MOST PEOPLE have a gut feeling about strength and weakness; he said when people would support strength when they sensed it, and that the DEMOCRATS needed to not be backing down to the Republicans and trying the bipartisan thing because there is NO WAY IN HELL that the Republicans are going to cooperate.Get your stories straight.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:53 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times
Could it be the Democrats are finally speaking up and not agreeing with Obama on a lot of issues.

NA, from Maher's viewpoint they are just stupid.

Republicans do not have to cooperate, they are NOT the majority. It's only the Dems who can block it and they are doing just that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies