Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2010, 08:42 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times

Advertisements

Also some people are born with more fat cells. They don't go away even when you diet. I believe Oprah has more fat cells than the average person because it is a battle for her constantly. As she ages it will be harder to burn it off and it will be harder to work out when your body gets older. Some of us have it easy and it will never be an issue. That is why some don't have any clue to understanding why some people are fat. Some are born predestines to being heavier. As I see it, one cannot turn a Golden retreiver into a poodle nor would I want to.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:50 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Also some people are born with more fat cells. They don't go away even when you diet. I believe Oprah has more fat cells than the average person because it is a battle for her constantly. As she ages it will be harder to burn it off and it will be harder to work out when your body gets older. Some of us have it easy and it will never be an issue. That is why some don't have any clue to understanding why some people are fat. Some are born predestines to being heavier. As I see it, one cannot turn a Golden retreiver into a poodle nor would I want to.
No, but I can make my fat Golden a skinny one pretty quickly if I wanted to. Diet and activity is all it takes. I'd say the amount of people who honestly try and are disciplined but can't lose weight are about the same percentage as the one's with thyroid disorders.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:52 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettys View Post
Fat people do it to themselves and then complain about how they're treated. No sympathy here.

They don't have a choice. They were born like that. They don't do it to themselves!

Oh wait... That's Gay, not obese. What was I thinking

Old 10-20-2010, 09:12 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
Hypothyroidism is not the only metabolic disorder that causes or contributes to obesity.

Diabetes does:

Quote:
In 2001, adult diabetics were more than three times as likely to be extremely obese than nondiabetic adults and over one and one-half times as likely to be obese.

PCOS does
:

Quote:
Between 5 and 30 percent of women have some characteristic of PCOS. The disorder is probably the most common hormonal abnormality in women of reproductive age and certainly is a leading cause of infertility. PCOS patients were once dismissed as"fat" women with no self control.

Certainly, many metabolic derangements improve with weight loss, but PCOS is not "cured" by weight reduction. Almost always, individuals with PCOS gain weight very easily and lose it only with great effort.
Just these two cover a significant percentage of the population; much more than 1.5%. Blaming a person for struggling with a metabolic disorder-facilitated weight problem is like blaming a one-legged rock climber for being unable to climb Everest. Some will be able to do it, but the vast majority will struggle, and cycle.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:42 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,461,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
They don't have a choice. They were born like that. They don't do it to themselves!

I suppose that was an attempt at humor? Or are the writer's on strike again?

Old 10-20-2010, 11:54 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,819,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
The reason I don't believe the "born with more fat cells" argument is that obesity is MUCH more common than it used to be, So either a higher % are born with more fat cells than in the past OR there are different reasons to explain this such as less physical activity,larger portion sizes, etc.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:03 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,819,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
When did it become the "in" thing to HATE period? This is disgusting!!!!

I can't believe this thread is still alive. I am not fat nor am I skinny. But the HATE on this thread keeps me coming back. Do you people not see how WRONG it is to single out groups to HATE???

This is the plan...divide and conquer. And sadly it's working well.
Just because the OP believes more people hate the obese doesn't mean more hate actually exists. I doubt that it does myself. Did you ever think those concerned about the health risks of obesity may LOVE them and want the best for them. Even those who are purely superficial and think obesity looks unattractive may not have hatred in their heart but merely a preference.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:08 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,569,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

Actually smart one, some people are born obese.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:24 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,322,250 times
Fat people are disgusting to look at. Have you ever been at a restaurant... or at a buffet in Las Vegas and seen them shovel food down their gullet.. they are disgusting, they should be banned from public places so as to not offend those with superior genes. like me

Old 10-21-2010, 07:08 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Hypothyroidism is not the only metabolic disorder that causes or contributes to obesity.

Diabetes does:

PCOS does
:

Just these two cover a significant percentage of the population; much more than 1.5%. Blaming a person for struggling with a metabolic disorder-facilitated weight problem is like blaming a one-legged rock climber for being unable to climb Everest. Some will be able to do it, but the vast majority will struggle, and cycle.
Nowhere in the diabetes article does it state that DIABETES CAUSES OBESITY. Is diabetes a result of obeseity? Yuppers. Thats like saying bad knees cause obesity, but how did those knees get bad in the first place? Most likely from having to carry around weight that they were never designed to handle. I'm pretty sure (and have seen it with my own eyes) that if the obese were to bring their weight a little closer to the accepted BMI level these diabetic numbers would drop significantly. I don't think you can argue that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies