Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2011, 12:27 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,285,342 times

Advertisements

When Did it Become Okay to Start Hating the Obese?

When you get sandwiched between two of them on a long flight.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:59 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,312,593 times
It's easy to lump people together into a "box" or category and view them as "things." As sub-human creatures who don't have any feelings or rights whatsoever...This is how black slaves used to be treated in the early days of our country...I don't want to be part of a "witch hunt" and hate and blame and persecute people just because they are different than me...I'm not "all that!" I'm not perfect! I make mistakes! I'm not totally "on the ball" in every area of my life. And I don't feel that I have the right to set myself up as "god" and judge and jury when it comes to other people's so called imperfections...I don't have the right to throw stones at others because I'm far from perfect myself.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:21 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
It's easy to lump people together into a "box" or category and view them as "things." As sub-human creatures who don't have any feelings or rights whatsoever...This is how black slaves used to be treated in the early days of our country...I don't want to be part of a "witch hunt" and hate and blame and persecute people just because they are different than me...I'm not "all that!" I'm not perfect! I make mistakes! I'm not totally "on the ball" in every area of my life. And I don't feel that I have the right to set myself up as "god" and judge and jury when it comes to other people's so called imperfections...I don't have the right to throw stones at others because I'm far from perfect myself.
Black slaves have no control over the color of their skin - that is discrimination because of a God-given thing. Obese people are very able to put down the cheeseburger and hit a treadmill. This is in no way a good comparison.

Although, I do agree that we shouldn't lump obese people into a "box"....I don't think they would fit (unless the box is big!)

Old 08-23-2011, 02:28 PM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Hate? Thats a strong word. I dont hate the obease. I question their decision making tho. When I'm at an all you can eat Buffet and I eat 2 plates of food while an obease person eats 4 in the same period of time, I think don't they even care about what they are doing to themselves? Obviously not. Or when you see an obease person supersize their meal. wtf. Its hard to gather sympathy for that mentality.
I'm 48 years old. I have old battle wounds, survived cancer and work out. I have the same waist I had when I was 20. I have bought the same size jeans for 30 years. 30/32's.
I noticed at 40 I was starting to be a tight fit. I changed eating habits and started doing more running. Its all about choices with some exceptions.
People like to use those strong words to drum up sympathy when in fact most obese are just really annoying to most in our daily lives. Long plane flights next to someone who is obese and reeks of BO is sickening. I don't hate that person they are just really annoying. When I'm at work with a cart and have to wait for multiple elevators because all the jumbo riders fill it I get annoyed. When I'm at the store and an obese person is so big getting around them is nearly impossible it's annoying. I worked with this woman who was so big she kept breaking all of our office chairs, yep, really annoying to go and sit down and the chair is now a recliner.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:33 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,304,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Black slaves have no control over the color of their skin - that is discrimination because of a God-given thing. Obese people are very able to put down the cheeseburger and hit a treadmill. This is in no way a good comparison.

Although, I do agree that we shouldn't lump obese people into a "box"....I don't think they would fit (unless the box is big!)
lol

Old 08-23-2011, 03:10 PM

I just don't feel contempt and resentment towards "bigger" people...Their size doesn't bother me. I grew up in an era when it was ok to have curves. In fact most people didn't want to appear too thin. Back then being thin meant that a person might be poor or sickly...Then "Twiggy" came along and changed everything. And young women across the country started starving themselves so they would be thin too...Anorexia and bullemia became big health problems...I'm glad that we don't all look the same. I don't want to live in a "cookie cutter" type of world. I don't hate and loathe "bigger" people. I don't need to make fun of them....Airlines need to provide adequate seating for all of their customers. It's unrealistic to assume that we should all be the same size!

Old 08-23-2011, 03:29 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
Quote:
Airlines need to provide adequate seating for all of their customers.
Statements like this are one of the reasons society "doesn't like fat people". What exactly constitutes "adequate seating for all of their customers"? Who determines this and based on what? The average seat is something like 17" (heard this on the show Airline). For most people around the world, that's more than enough room.

Quote:
It's unrealistic to assume that we should all be the same size!
I think it's more unrealistic to require/force/ask airlines to spend the money to install dedicated "obese person seats". If a person can't fit in one seat, he or she should pay for two. If a person can not fit into two seats, then he or she should pay for three. So on and so forth.

The same goes for hospitals (like the one nearest me) that had to buy new MRI machines to handle persons greater than 300-500lbs, buy double-wide hospital beds, and increase the width of certain doors in the building to handle the new double-wide hospital beds.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:04 PM

I grew up in an era where companies went out of their way to accomodate all of their potential customers...This was a "given" Companies didn't try to wiggle out of spending money and then blame their lack of caring and inadequacies on a certain segment of the population like they do today...This kind of stuff would have been unheard of back in the old days and considered blatant disrespect and discrimination...Corporations have figured out how to justify all their cut-backs and downsizing and rising medical fees by getting us to blame each other versus "owning up" to any of it themselves...And it's become sickening and disgraceful. Adults go around acting like mean-spirited and bratty kids attacking "bigger" people or smokers or senior citizens or parents with kids or some other "scapegoat of the month." Politicians use these same tactics too. We've become a society of "angry lynch mobs" and this is sad and even potentially dangerous.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:37 PM

674 posts, read 698,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post

Thanks for the laugh!

Old 08-23-2011, 04:39 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,196,723 times
No one is advocating hatred, but some are starting to see over indulgence and over abundance as a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies