Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2012, 03:11 PM

8,852 posts, read 5,322,746 times

Advertisements

[quote=buddy5;25056472]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post

That's what all the expert's say. Obesity shortens overall life span.

As Mom used to say, ''There ain't no fat people in nursing homes''.
She never worked in any of the nursing homes I did.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzane View Post
True I just dont understand how they can look in the mirror but still gain weight with their lazy lifestyle it's like they dont care about attracting a mate - I for one being a fit male will never date someone who shows such disrespect for their own body, it sickens me
Perhaps they're not interested in attracting you.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:32 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,575,309 times
Quote:
I for one being a fit male will never date someone who shows such disrespect for their own body, it sickens me
Quote:
IF you want to live your life avoiding sex because your worried about STD's then good for you,but I enjoy sex with strangers, it turns me on (BTW i use protection)
"Consistent and correct use of male latex condoms can reduce (though not eliminate) the risk of STD transmission. To achieve the maximum protective effect, condoms must be used both consistently and correctly. Inconsistent use can lead to STD acquisition because transmission can occur with a single act of intercourse with an infected partner. Similarly, if condoms are not used correctly, the protective effect may be diminished even when they are used consistently. The most reliable ways to avoid transmission of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), including human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), are to abstain from sexual activity or to be in a long-term mutually monogamous relationship with an uninfected partner. However, many infected persons may be unaware of their infections because STDs are often asymptomatic or unrecognized."
CDC - Condom Effectiveness - Male Latex Condoms and Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Quote:
Anyway lets not let this thread get hijacked by jealous nerds who cant get any so they justify not getting any by preaching the dangers of STD's. Keep up with the one night stand stories they are gold
So you are aware of the dangers of STD's but then think that you can lecture fat people about *their* disrespect for *their* bodies? Please. Nothing but absolute hypocrisy from someone who obviously suffers from very low self-confidence.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:36 PM

2,134 posts, read 3,032,063 times
They're a lot of fat people in nursing homes. They just aren't very old people. I've seen morbidly obese patients make it up to their early 70s but that seems to be the cut-off (I've never seen a very fat person over 75 or so). There a lot of middle age people who end disabled and suffer chronic health problems due to their obesity. Last night I had a 400+lb patient who whined when I told her to lift her own leg up when she wanted me to stuff another pillow under her tree trunk sized leg. This patient has been admitted to my unit at least 8 times this year due to non-compliance. Of course Medicare will not pay the full costs of her stay because it's the hospitals fault she is non-compliant. So she gets to be her big non-compliant self for free! Not to worry though. You can only go into fluid overload so many times before you mess around and your heart gives out for good. Some people think MD can fix anything so they keep being non-compliant until they get that surprise from the MD who says we can do no more and advises hospice.

[quote=buddy5;25056472][quote=jerseygal4u;25056371
That's what all the expert's say. Obesity shortens overall life span.

As Mom used to say, ''There ain't no fat people in nursing homes''.[/QUOTE]

Old 07-07-2012, 03:41 PM

371 posts, read 441,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
This is a tired old ploy used by liberals, and the sheeple in the Democratic Party fall for it every time.

You demonize a group of people, whether its the "rich", Wall Street executives, tobacco companies, or DOW Chemical. Once the politicians have you despising the very air they breath.... it makes it easy for the politicians to pass legislation to destroy their companies, over tax them, or just write laws to unfairly single them out for some penalty or punishment, that would otherwise never be tolerated by the people, or allowed under the Constitution.

Today they are trying to pass 0bama's health insurance plan, so its all about demonizing doctors, insurance companies and the obese. Tomorrow they will want to pass energy carbon tax legislation, so the evil doers will be big oil, coal-fueled power plants, people who use electricity and drive gasoline powered vehicles.

Liberal democrats always need their sheep hating some specific group or individuals, so they can tax them, destroy them, or marginalize them and control them.
The only obese person I hate is Rush Limbaugh. Oh, and maybe Chris Christie.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:52 PM

[quote=Jasper03;25064734]They're a lot of fat people in nursing homes. They just aren't very old people. I've seen morbidly obese patients make it up to their early 70s but that seems to be the cut-off (I've never seen a very fat person over 75 or so). There a lot of middle age people who end disabled and suffer chronic health problems due to their obesity. Last night I had a 400+lb patient who whined when I told her to lift her own leg up when she wanted me to stuff another pillow under her tree trunk sized leg. This patient has been admitted to my unit at least 8 times this year due to non-compliance. Of course Medicare will not pay the full costs of her stay because it's the hospitals fault she is non-compliant. So she gets to be her big non-compliant self for free! Not to worry though. You can only go into fluid overload so many times before you mess around and your heart gives out for good. Some people think MD can fix anything so they keep being non-compliant until they get that surprise from the MD who says we can do no more and advises hospice.

We had one woman who was obese and 84 years old. The DON kept trying to put her on a diet. Every morning her breakfast would arrive minus toast, and every morning she'd yell about it. The head nurse always ordered some for her, saying at age 84 why on Earth was the DON worried about restricting her carbs.

As an aside, age 84 is the oldest patient our local bariatric surgeon successfully performed a gastric lap-band on.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13JERM View Post
The only obese person I hate is Rush Limbaugh. Oh, and maybe Chris Christie.
I don't think Rush is obese anymore.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:09 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,540,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
This is why people don't or can't understand the difference between obesity and having a large frame.

Michelle Obam doesn't look obese,not even overweight.
She looks like she has a large frame. I don't see any fat jiggling on her.
Plus,your just looking at her on camera or pics,and everyone knows that they add 10 pounds,making people seem bigger than they are.
This is sooo true. Plus, she's a very tall woman at 5'10. It's the same height as Nicole Kidman (or at least, around the same height) and their frames are vastly different. Michelle will never look like Nicole, she simply doesn't have the bone structure for it.

Even when I was 130 lbs at 6'1 I was called fat by some people because I have a large bone structure. My ribcage is very deep, my legs are strong and my shoulders and hips are wide naturally. I'll never look like Gisele, and it's very nice to see a woman like Michelle who has a body similar to mine.

Quote:
True I just dont understand how they can look in the mirror but still gain weight with their lazy lifestyle it's like they dont care about attracting a mate - I for one being a fit male will never date someone who shows such disrespect for their own body, it sickens me

We get it, you hate obese people, you can quit obsessing about it on multiple threads. Nobody is forcing you to hang out with obese or fat people. I do honestly hope you don't get cancer or some other disorder that makes you gain a lot of weight very quickly. I used to have your attitude until I was put on a medication that made me gain nearly 50 lbs in less than 3 months. My tune has certainly changed.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:11 PM

2,134 posts, read 3,032,063 times
[quote=Minethatbird;25064914]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
They're a lot of fat people in nursing homes. They just aren't very old people. I've seen morbidly obese patients make it up to their early 70s but that seems to be the cut-off (I've never seen a very fat person over 75 or so). There a lot of middle age people who end disabled and suffer chronic health problems due to their obesity. Last night I had a 400+lb patient who whined when I told her to lift her own leg up when she wanted me to stuff another pillow under her tree trunk sized leg. This patient has been admitted to my unit at least 8 times this year due to non-compliance. Of course Medicare will not pay the full costs of her stay because it's the hospitals fault she is non-compliant. So she gets to be her big non-compliant self for free! Not to worry though. You can only go into fluid overload so many times before you mess around and your heart gives out for good. Some people think MD can fix anything so they keep being non-compliant until they get that surprise from the MD who says we can do no more and advises hospice.

We had one woman who was obese and 84 years old. The DON kept trying to put her on a diet. Every morning her breakfast would arrive minus toast, and every morning she'd yell about it. The head nurse always ordered some for her, saying at age 84 why on Earth was the DON worried about restricting her carbs.

As an aside, age 84 is the oldest patient our local bariatric surgeon successfully performed a gastric lap-band on.
So that makes two fat old people. How common is it really? I'd like to know what percentage of people over 75 are obese. Meaning 300lb plus in need of bariatric beds etc obese?

Old 07-07-2012, 04:16 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,540,687 times
[quote=Jasper03;25065106]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post

So that makes two fat old people. How common is it really? I'd like to know what percentage of people over 75 are obese. Meaning 300lb plus in need of bariatric beds etc obese?
My Mom (and my Grandmother and aunt at one point as well) has worked at a convalescent home for nearly 20 years now and I did a lot of animal therapy there growing up. I'd say around 25-30% of the folks over the age of 75 are obese to the point of being nearly bedridden. This is only one home though, so it's largely anecdotal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies