Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 11:43 AM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
I just wish the obese took an effort to lose some weight. The obese don't exactly tend to have the best diet, and a poor diet comes with early health problems. An unhealthy nation isn't the best nation.
I have seen fat people loose dramatic amounts of weight and work hard to keep it off.. some just put it all back on.. their body fights to put the weight on.

My sister-in-laws have yo-yo'ed for years.. always exercising , reading books , eating good and still they have a weight problem. Watching them I know it is genetic.. Look at Oprah , with her money and she can't stay thin . As one ages the metabolism slows for many.

It is still a mystery why some just put weight on so easily while others eat whatever they want and never gain weight.. those are the people who think it is easy to stay thin but they are not like everyone else.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:45 AM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
I have a co-worker who is obese. He is supposedly on Atkin's. He will order copious amounts of fatty meat, but will not order poatato-so it makes the meal OK or he will order a salad and obliterate it with blue cheese or regular ranch dressing, like a whole cup He complains he can't lose weight and I asked him about walking or working out. "Oh, my knees can't handle the stress-so I can't work out." I'm thinking to myself, really!? You can't go to the pool or adopt a truly beneficial diet or start lifting weights? And he has high blood pressure, bad knees , bad back and suffers from depression. AND his ailments get examined when our company of 30 people shops for group insurance. Do you think I am subsidizing his lifestyle through higher premiums? Do you think losing weight would benefit his health? Do you think it erodes some of my respect for this individual?

This same individual always is amazed and asks, "How can you eat so much?" I respond, "I actually have to work really hard to eat this much and not gain weight." I ride about 120 miles a week at a pretty fast clip. I have not been riding the last 2 weeks due to a sore back and it shows on the scale; 5 pounds heavier. So now I have adjusted to keep the gain from becoming more by reducing portions and paying more attention to what I eat.

On the past comments about Michelle Obama; I think she is a good example about a REALISTIC example of a relatively healthy, middle aged woman. These stick figure super models that too many young girls and women idolize are travesties!

Bottom line; I put the effort into staying in relatively good shape and yes, it does require a conscious effort. If I, and so many others can do it, why can't the excuse laden, denial ready obese individuals do it? Why WON'T they?!
The guy has depression and other health ailments and while I can understand your point of view, let me hit you with some hidden costs.

See, he could be saying that he shouldn't have to be paying into the retirement portions of Soc. Security \ Medicare or the company pension etc. because he'll never live long enough to collect but you will. In fact, your healthy lifestyle means that you will likely collect soc. security for a long time as well as have numerous survivable medical procedures like hip, cataracts etc.

The irony being that healthy people generally cost the same over the long haul as the obese and smokers.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:12 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
Some obese people can't help their weight, but most can. This is clear when you look at other nations with different lifestyles ingrained in their culture.

I don't hate obese people, but it's time we start societally shunning obesity rather than acccepting it as the American way of life.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:55 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Some obese people can't help their weight, but most can. This is clear when you look at other nations with different lifestyles ingrained in their culture.

I don't hate obese people, but it's time we start societally shunning obesity rather than acccepting it as the American way of life.
And there you have it folks.

When you see a fat person....give them a look of total disgust.....just like you do a smoker.

It the new AMERICAN WAY.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:57 PM

8,885 posts, read 5,365,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post

When you see a fat person....give them a look of total disgust.....just like you do a smoker.

It the new AMERICAN WAY.

Can I do the same for illegal immigrants and welfare/food stamp recipients?

Old 07-10-2012, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Can I do the same for illegal immigrants and welfare/food stamp recipients?
Why of course you can!......... And you should!

It's the PC thing to do. Public ridicule is a good thing. It is for their own good, after all. It will encourage them to conform....turn their lives around.....don't ya know.

Follow the example of the anti-smoking ads that show smokers as vile, ugly people with yellow fingers and teeth and deeply wrinkled skin skulking around in the shadows smoking their nasty cigarettes. Filthy, dirty creatures to be shunned.

It is your duty as an American. It is for the greater good.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:33 PM

Quote:

It the new AMERICAN WAY.

No, the American Way, quite clearly, is to be a morbidly massive 450-pounder struggling to waddle into a Jack In The Box with a big gulp in one hand and a pack of Hostess Twinkies in the other...before going home to watch 4 straight hours of TV before passing out in a food coma after another bag of chips.

Wake up, people - this is not normal.

There is a massive obesity epidemic of unheard of proportions in this nation. We have entire generations of people who think that fast "food" and soft drinks are fit for human consumption (they're not) and that it's normal for people to look like massive steers. As a society, it would behoove us to re-calibrate this perception as rapidly as possible. There are significant costs associated with our present collective course.

And, by the way, OF COURSE we should want to discourage people from smoking.

Last edited by ambient; 07-10-2012 at 11:47 PM..

Old 07-10-2012, 11:48 PM

As the smoking rates have fallen.....the obesity rates have risen.

Coincidence? I think not.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:14 AM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:

Polio rates have fallen too. Maybe obesity prevents polio.....

Old 07-11-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:

Correlation does not equate to causation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies