Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 10:17 AM

785 posts, read 1,049,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
how did you get permission to answer for John Mark and Larry assuming you did.if you are to scarred to ans a simple question then don't but don't try to answer with this kind of BS
Yes I called Jon Ensign, Mark Sanford and Larry Craig personally to get their permission to write about how neither of them can keep it in their pants on a City Data forum. What do you think?

Its obvious that a man that goes awol from his job to screw his mistress in Argentina, (Sanford) a man that has an affair with a campaign staffer (Ensign)and a man that solicits sex in a public bathroom (Craig) aren't against having casual sex. If the were against it, they wouldn't have done these things. Duh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Why do people like you always forget people like John Edwards when you mention something like this.

It has no party so why keep trying it?
Because the question was about if CONSERVATIVES CAN HAVE CASUAL SEX.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Political conservatisim is supposed to be about being conservative about government power. Its morphed into the "family values" party by a bunch of religious hacks.
And alot of these religious hacks can't even keep it in their pants.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:26 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,947,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
One conservative poster said that true conservatives only approve of sex when it's between a man and a woman and "influenced by love".

To the conservatives: Can you have casual sex outside of a committed heterosexual relationship and still call yourself a conservative?
Failure is a concept of attempting to obtain a goal, but falling short. If a person fails, does that make them a failure? Or is it the person who accepts failure that becomes so? Is not success merely a goal obtained through a learning process of failed attempts?

The point is, while some may do so against their ideal, it does not mean they embrace that failure. It merely means they fell short of obtaining it.

Failure in the presence of weakness does not mean acceptance and does not conflict with a persons belief of such.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:35 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,453,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfields View Post
And alot of these religious hacks can't even keep it in their pants.
Quote:
Statistics: According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, 36.9 percent of 14-year-olds have had sex - more than one out of three. Among 12th graders, 66.4 percent have had sex.
Sexual promiscuity in adolescents - teenagers and sex

You know what they say about forming habits early. Party affiliations have zero to do with it. However liberals tend to think sex ed only works... I don't know what it's suppose to be working on though.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Sexual promiscuity in adolescents - teenagers and sex

You know what they say about forming habits early. Party affiliations have zero to do with it. However liberals tend to think sex ed only works... I don't know what it's suppose to be working on though.
What I was wrote had nothing to do with sex ed. Stop changing the topic.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:50 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,685,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
You do realize that the insidious supplanting of religiousity into conservative political ideology is a truth and a scary one at that, don't you? Surely you can't be that stupid not to notice the flagrant azzkissing to the evangelicals or are you?
Hey man, if you need to make the argument that half of the Country are bible thumpers to make your agenda appear more valid, more power to ya.

The logical people in this country realize that a small fraction of the fringe don't represent the entire group. Only dishonest people trying to push their agenda by way of demonizing the opposing argument by attempting to invalidate their opinion need do that.

What ever works for ya.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:52 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,705,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
As I said in my original post, the statement about casual sex and conservatives was made by a conservative on this forum; it wasn't my idea.
Said conservative not representative of all conservatives.

While I tend to tilt conservative, there are aspects I don't agree with -- namely injecting religous morals into politics. These politicians from all parties who get caught with their pen in someone else's inkwell would be just as immoral and incapable of maintaining a committed relationship if they were janitors, teachers, doctors or Indian chiefs.

Monogamy is a social more which some individuals are incapable of sticking with.

Unmarried, uncommitted individuals who find themselves in a casual sex situation are merely following what instinct has hardwired into our minds.

IMHO the only thing that matters is that the individual who represents me perform his job honestly with pride and integrity.

To answer the original question:

Yes, I believe someone can have casual sex and be a conservative.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:09 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,935,923 times
It all depends on your definition of the word "conservative".

Conservative, to me means small government involvement in your day to day life. I don't think that government has any business being involved in regards to what you do in your bedroom with another consenting adult or with what you put into your body. So long as you don't infringe on the rights of others I feel people should be free to do as they wish.

I've identified more with the right in the past but currently feel like a man without a home. I call myself a conservative becuase I want government to BUTT OUT of our lives.

I feel the penalties for drug use need to be severely reduced if not removed altogether. Prison space and law enforcement resources should be instead be focused on corruption and violent offenders.

I feel welfare and entitlement programs to able bodied people and ALL illegals need to be drastically reduced.

I feel that all should have the right to free speech.

I feel that I should have the right to own a gun and defend myself and my property at all times.

I'm anti affirmative action but for stiff penalties for those that deny people their civil rights based on race or religion.

I'm very pro death penalty

Feel we should allow anyone to become a citizen provided they do it the right way (legally, have a sponsor, have a job or are a student, pay taxes, obey our laws and are willing to learn our language and culture).

I hate bible thumpers but hate hippies/rabid anti man feminists and race baiters even more.

I supported Dubya but felt Clinton did a pretty decent job also.

I'm a man without a country!

We need a third party!

The comic Patton Oswald said it best when he said somethign along the lines of "We need Republicans that can accept gays and Democrats that will reduce social spending".

Old 07-29-2009, 02:09 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,661,576 times
Thanks to the minority of responders who answered the question. It seems that the question alone really ticked off a lot of people - namely, many who consider themselves to be conservative.

As a couple of people said, the answer to the question depends on your definition of "conservative". There are many social conservatives who believe you're not a true conservative unless you are socially conservative, including the one who inspired me to ask this question. He basically said, "Conservatives find it distasteful to talk about sex that is outside of a heterosexual loving relationship." I doubted that this generalization was true, but I wanted to get some feedback from others.

I think this highlights one of the conflicts in the Republican Party between those who want to emphasize social conservatism and those who believe the Republican Party should primarily be about fiscal conservatism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies