Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2009, 08:00 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times

Advertisements

HICs in individual markets have a monopoly which allows them to drive up the cost because of no competition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 08:01 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Just like what's going to happen with Social Security one day.
All that money deducted from our paychecks and where is it ? *poof*
That's right, poof. Just like many have lost in the private sector-401k-poof pensions-poof bank accounts-poof home equity-poof and now with health insurance-poof!

Old 07-31-2009, 08:24 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
healthcare should be non-profit...
nobody should be able to profit from someone else's disease
Restaurants, food service, and food manufacturing should be non-profit...
nobody should be able to profit from someone else's hunger.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:31 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
we already have that problem..
my mother is a hospital administrator in seattle..
and 80 percent of the doctors she gets under contract are from canada.. educated in canada....
They come here and make 3 times what they make in canada..
I think a doctor should be well compensated for what he/she does.. absolutely..but the hospitals and insurance companies that govern the entire system should not be profiting..
just because you work for a non-profit agency doesn't mean you don't get paid...
Healthcare is about CARE and COMPASSION for others..
The only reason why doctors are paid as much as they are.. is because it's not about care anymore.. it's about business.. and when it's run like a business.. it's about stifling competition and capturing market share... which creates demand for your services.. if you're ok with equating human healthcare services to that of a hair dresser... then you have some serious priority and or perception issues...
allowing a BUSINESS to control a service that people can't go without where it's a matter of life or death is not a business.. it's a cartel...
Is there anything in 0bama/Pelosi care to lower the educational costs or malpractice insurance costs faced by doctors?

If 0bama care is going to "squeeze" the compensations to doctors and the insurance companies, how will doctors pay off their student loans and pay their malpractice insurance? Where will the incentive come from to become a doctor?

Old 07-31-2009, 02:24 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
well lucky you...
I have pretty good healthcare through my job as well, but because i'm gay.. my partner isn't allowed to be covered on it because we aren't married..I am a teacher and get state benefits...
SO.. essentially we have to pay seperately for his..

Huh...newsflash. I'm gay, too. Still covered under my wife's insurance bc of domestic partnership.
And if I weren't? I'd go buy my own damn insurance. Already looked into it. Can get on a great plan for about 300 bucks a month.

my sister and her kids live with my partner and I.. and her deadbeat ex-husband refuses to insure the kids..and my sister was a stay at home mom, and lacks the ability to provide for the kids herself without going on the state for health insurance...so here we are in a full house situation.. and uncle boiseguy and partner are trying to provide for the household...and faced with unfair, ridiculous restrictions and exceptions to rules which cost us an arm and a leg.. when it doesn't even have to be like this...and it shouldn't...

You are right. It shouldn't be like that. My friend had the exact same thing happen to her - stupid deadbeat husband left her with their daughter, stiffed her for child support, and didn't even pick up the kid's insurance. SO SHE GOT A JOB. And sued the crap out of him. Guess who just got back-paid for all her insurance premiums and child support?

Sounds like there are more system problems in your case than actual healthcare/insurance problems. The system fails in other places and you want to fix the symptom instead of the disease.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:32 PM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Is there anything in 0bama/Pelosi care to lower the educational costs or malpractice insurance costs faced by doctors?

If 0bama care is going to "squeeze" the compensations to doctors and the insurance companies, how will doctors pay off their student loans and pay their malpractice insurance? Where will the incentive come from to become a doctor?
Doctors belong to the same club as everyone. My insurance rates are skyrocketing and so is the doctor's. It is said that if we can put caps on lawsuits then doctor's rates will lower and then mine will. I see a common thread here, evil doctors, patients wanting everything for free, hungry lawyers, saintly insurance companies.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:35 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Restaurants, food service, and food manufacturing should be non-profit...
nobody should be able to profit from someone else's hunger.
Why is it so hard for to you to comprehend the problem with health insurance companies having no competition or regulation? Were you born after the Wall Streets bailouts? Do you really think that your analogy is on target?

Old 07-31-2009, 02:59 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,346,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
As I interpret this, that's a profit margin of 6.5%. People who own these stocks aren't making a killing.

It was down in 08 to 14.5% (down from 29% in 2004).
(return on shareholders equity)

While 14% isn't 29%, I'd take any positive percent on my dollar these days.

[please note: i know little about annual reports and the like, and i have a financial manger handling my investments for me......)

Last edited by plannine; 07-31-2009 at 03:08 PM..

Old 07-31-2009, 04:15 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Wait a minute, I am a healthcare provider, are you saying I do not have a right to make a profit?
It depends on how much profit and at what expense to a patient. If you are paid a bonus by insurance companies to not run tests or provide treatments then I would consider this profit a conflict of interest to a medical provider.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:21 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
I know of no one who is paid a bonus to deny needed tests or treatments. I would like to make sure everyone who works has a government agency sign off on how much they can make like they are trying to do on Wall Street and in health care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies