Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 08:32 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
What really irks me is how folks just lump all whites as if we all somehow share a common culture. I'm sorry but we whites don't have just one common culture. Whites are made up of diverse cultural groups that have origins in Europe. I don't particularly celebrate holidays such as Oktober Fest as I'm not German.
Blacks are diverse, too, but I don't see people acknowledging that. All over this forum and elsewhere, all I see is how people of African descent are all just "black" and how I am idiotic and stupid when I give the definition of the term African American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
If there are "four" (I'm sure the number is actually higher) blacks who hold high level positions within these fields, then how are they kept out then? As I stated previously, it takes hard work and tons of sacrifices for someone to attain a high level position. A person's skin color has no bearings on it.
I have seen otherwise.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:38 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Blacks are diverse, too, but I don't see people acknowledging that. All over this forum and elsewhere, all I see is how people of African descent are all just "black" and how I am idiotic and stupid when I give the definition of the term African American.
Are you trying to say that Dominicans, Haitians, Indians with short hair, African immigrants, black canadians, black europeans and African-americans don't watch BET 24/7?

Man, you learn something new everyday

Old 07-30-2009, 08:42 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,939,084 times
I wonder if the OP has gotten what he wanted; a divisive, "black vs white" thread.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:44 PM

[quote=Dopo;10030546]
Quote:
Are you trying to say that Dominicans, Haitians, Indians with short hair, African immigrants, black canadians, black europeans and African-americans don't watch BET 24/7?
Nah. They take breaks to load their guns, make babies, eat their burnt rice, beans, watermelon and fried chicken and to write screeds on this forum blaming whitey/cracka/haole/toubab/ti-blanc/gabacho/djab-djab for all their problems.

Quote:
Man, you learn something new everyday
Indeed.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:48 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
This is how you want to have a conversation? Saying I'm wrong, and providing no fact or data to demonstrate that fact?

Have a nice night.
I second that.

Some people are convinced that whites control everything and that they are consciously trying to stop non-whites from achieving anything. It's impossible to argue with such blind thinking.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:49 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
You're right. You're the expert.

I don't know any black people who work hard.
I never stated that black people don't work hard. Maybe I should have stated that having ambition, working hard and making the sacrifices needed are what it takes to achieve high status in a corporation or industry. Anyone can work hard but are you ambitious enough to do what it takes to achieve financial success? Are you making the sacrifices of working 60+ hours a week climbing the corporate ladder (because working 40 hours per week is not going to cut it)? Have you placed a high priority on completing your education (It is rare nowadays to find high level executives who do not possess at least a bachelors degree)? People who are successful have done these things and more just to get to the point of financial success that they now enjoy. What we need to do is to empower our youth versus telling them that the white man will hold them down in life.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:50 PM

19 posts, read 37,235 times
If I may put my 2 cents in...
There will always be debates like this because people can't get over what's happened in the past and look past the differences of others. Be it black, white, asian, latino, polka-dotted, whatever. I find it humerous that in our 200+ years as a country how little we've actually grown in compassion and caring for people of various cultures. I have always said that it's HUMAN nature to hate what you don't understand. And reading this thread just proves it even more. Hopefully one day we americans will come to realize that the differences in us is what makes us all unique. I for one thank the powers that be that I am not a carbon copy of someone else. To me, what makes us different is our attitudes and treatment towards others. I don't care if my neighbor happens to have a better tan than me, if he's a jerk, then I don't like him. Simple. I understand having pride in your heritage. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, until it is brought into a racial debate.

That, of course is just my opinion.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I second that.

Some people are convinced that whites control everything and that they are consciously trying to stop non-whites from achieving anything. It's impossible to argue with such blind thinking.

Whites do have overwhelming control in America. I don't believe they've set up commissions or groups to hold down the brothers and sisters, but I do believe there are enough racists out there to successfully impede progress.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:55 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Well ... it is convenient to just lump a group together into one category and forgive me if I have done this with African Americans. I would prefer that we as a nation to stop categorizing folks as blacks/African-Americans, whites/Caucasians, etc and to treat each person as the unique individual that he/she really is. Frankly, our society is way too hung up on race and this will continue to keep us divided unless we (collectively) decide that enough is enough!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies