Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 12:29 PM

1,477 posts, read 2,198,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
an oxymoron, originally meant as a policy to reverse the affects of discrimination. Unfortunately in order to do that you have to discriminate. That's why I think its an oxymoron.
I have mentioned this definition in another thread, but I will provide it here also. I like using Beverly Daniel Tatum's definition of racism. She defines it as: "a system of privilege based on race." I like this definition because it does not focus on racial prejudice (which we all possess). Instead it focuses on the systemic nature of racism, and on the systemic privileging based on race.

I do not believe that there is such a thing as reverse racism. Racism is racism, plain and simple. Now, there could be a reversal in the system of privilege based on race.However, there has been no such reversal. Thus, I would have draw the same conclusion that thriftylefty drew -- i.e., reverse racism is an oxymoron.

Last edited by davey123; 07-30-2009 at 12:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 12:31 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,301,832 times
Racism basically means you feel superior to another. If I call a white guy whitey or something, that doesn't mean I feel I'm superior, I may be pissed because I think HE feels superior to me. Or I'm just pissed about my own situation. It depends.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:31 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,515,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
Is that like when someone is making a racist comment while walking backwards???

Its what they call NASCAR in Europe.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:36 PM

769 posts, read 887,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
Racism basically means you feel superior to another. If I call a white guy whitey or something, that doesn't mean I feel I'm superior, I may be pissed because I think HE feels superior to me. Or I'm just pissed about my own situation. It depends.

Depends if you consider "whitey" to be a racial slur. By your reasoning I could drop the N bomb because I'm upset and it would not be racist, yet I feel like I would have a hard time convincing anyone of it.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:38 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,110,516 times
It is when white males suddenly discover that not ALL the toys belong to them.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:40 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,593,793 times
What is "reverse racism"?

No such an animal. Racism is racism no matter who is involved...no double standards..

Old 07-30-2009, 12:42 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,515,195 times
Its when dumbasses believe that only white people can be racist so you have to explain it to them in an elementary way so they can understand.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:58 PM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times
Default what is it?

It is urban legend.

Reverse racism is a lawyerly term used to take advantage of the weight, being labeled a racist, carries.

Everyone has racist tendencies but not everyone is a racist. Reverse racism, to be valid, thoeretically, can only occur if the reference point/ race never changes. All people from all races have the ability to achieve the racist threshold. To think otherwise would be racist.

No one definition has been established and accepted for being a racist. The threshold is raised or lowered for convenience of argument and political advantage.

If I use medical terms in my conversation it doesn't make me a doctor.

A theoretical term useless to non academic creatures.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:19 PM

4 posts, read 5,072 times
Please define minority !

If you really think about it isn't the word minority racist ?

Last edited by another lazy american; 07-30-2009 at 04:00 PM..

Old 07-30-2009, 03:23 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times
Reverse racism is when those who are 'expected' to be racists suddenly surprise us....such as if a cell of the Ku Klux Klan, in a remote part of Alabama, suddenly decided to host a picnic for local blacks, and the robed 'klansmen' circulated throughout the picnic, hugging the ladies, shaking the hands of the gents, kissing babies, and generally acting so outrageously "sweet" toward their black guests that it became almost 'embarrassing'.

THAT would be 'reverse racism'....racism 'done backwards'.

A similar example would be if MEChA or NCLR held a rally demanding that illegals LEAVE the USA, and that they had launched a new platform of demanding more civil rights for US-born Blacks, Whites, and Asians. That would be 'reverse racism'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies