U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 06:32 PM

64 posts, read 161,085 times

Advertisements

As the debate for healthcare reform continues, the republican strategy to oppose reform is played out in its usual predictable form. Wedge issues, dividing Americans, us versus them, righteous Americans versus those crazy liberals who threaten our way of life. As the republican party dwindles to the most rural, uneducated, and intolerant members of our society, amazingly there are still those members of our society who believe that out president is not an American citizen.

Republican operatives continue to use the same fear tactics to stall healthcare reform. Republicans have offered zero solutions to healthcare reform. As far as their concerned our current healthcare model is the best in the world. While 13,000 Americans lose their health coverage everyday.

Commonly used wedge issues continue to be the blueprint for agents of nothingness.

Abortion (you must have that child. but don't ask us to vote for services to support that child like head start, WIC, food stamps)

Affirmative Action (They took ur jobs)

Gay marriage (those people are gonna ruin our way of life)

Guns (we gotta protect our families against those people)

Healthcare (were gonna have to pay for those people's doctor bills, our grandkids will suffer if we help those people get healthcare. And besides if we ever lose our coverage we can just take our kids to the Emergency room and the state will pay for it. It can be an extreme challenge to dispel some of these wedge issues. Many people hear these issues over and over and accept them into their heart as the truth. "They’ve listen to their fathers and mothers, aunts and uncles, grandparents, and others and have been convinced that the Democratic party is for “those people”

Us good Christian folks, have our own way of life and we must protect that against those people. Sometimes you just have to go with your gut instead of your brain. Sometimes its just better for people to tell you how to think, because if you over think some of these issues you might open the door for some of those people to come in and change our way of life".

I have friends that I met as co-workers that I still keep in touch with, who don’t have healthcare, who are between jobs, who are diehard republicans who just are afraid to admit that maybe this president can help their family. People who are received their 2nd and 3rd unemployment extension, but claim that the stimulus package is not working. It takes time to heal wounds, it takes to time to get people to listen to a different viewpoints, and not look at everything as republican vs democrat, us versus them, and focus on what can immediately help your family get through these difficult times.

I leave you with this

WHAT DOES THE REPUBLICAN PARTY HAVE TO OFFER IN TERMS OF HEALTHCARE REFORM? (crickets in the background))
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 06:36 PM

5,124 posts, read 5,009,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejuan2 View Post
As the debate for healthcare reform continues, the republican strategy to oppose reform is played out in its usual predictable form. Wedge issues, dividing Americans, us versus them, righteous Americans versus those crazy liberals who threaten our way of life. As the republican party dwindles to the most rural, uneducated, and intolerant members of our society, amazingly there are still those members of our society who believe that out president is not an American citizen.

Republican operatives continue to use the same fear tactics to stall healthcare reform. Republicans have offered zero solutions to healthcare reform. As far as their concerned our current healthcare model is the best in the world. While 13,000 Americans lose their health coverage everyday.

Commonly used wedge issues continue to be the blueprint for agents of nothingness.

Abortion (you must have that child. but don't ask us to vote for services to support that child like head start, WIC, food stamps)

Affirmative Action (They took ur jobs)

Gay marriage (those people are gonna ruin our way of life)

Guns (we gotta protect our families against those people)

Healthcare (were gonna have to pay for those people's doctor bills, our grandkids will suffer if we help those people get healthcare. And besides if we ever lose our coverage we can just take our kids to the Emergency room and the state will pay for it. It can be an extreme challenge to dispel some of these wedge issues. Many people hear these issues over and over and accept them into their heart as the truth. "They’ve listen to their fathers and mothers, aunts and uncles, grandparents, and others and have been convinced that the Democratic party is for “those people”

Us good Christian folks, have our own way of life and we must protect that against those people. Sometimes you just have to go with your gut instead of your brain. Sometimes its just better for people to tell you how to think, because if you over think some of these issues you might open the door for some of those people to come in and change our way of life".

I have friends that I met as co-workers that I still keep in touch with, who don’t have healthcare, who are between jobs, who are diehard republicans who just are afraid to admit that maybe this president can help their family. People who are received their 2nd and 3rd unemployment extension, but claim that the stimulus package is not working. It takes time to heal wounds, it takes to time to get people to listen to a different viewpoints, and not look at everything as republican vs democrat, us versus them, and focus on what can immediately help your family get through these difficult times.

I leave you with this

WHAT DOES THE REPUBLICAN PARTY HAVE TO OFFER IN TERMS OF HEALTH CARE REFORM? (crickets in the background))

Psssst!!! Hey guess what?

IT IS NOT THE REPUBLICANS HOLDING UP HEALTH CARE IT IS DEMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The republicans have ZERO pull right now it is all on the Dems.

Nice try though.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:38 PM

26,684 posts, read 26,308,436 times
I do think that arch-conservatives will fight much harder to defeat their opponents than liberals will. Yesterday, I was called a "hippie" by a conservative when I suggested that it's possible for people to come together and compromise on something when they don't agree. He said that to compromise is essentially to admit defeat and give in to the enemy.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:40 PM

14,969 posts, read 14,955,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I do think that arch-conservatives will fight much harder to defeat their opponents than liberals will. Yesterday, I was called a "hippie" by a conservative when I suggested that it's possible for people to come together and compromise on something when they don't agree. He said that to compromise is essentially to admit defeat and give in to the enemy.
The "enemy"?

Old 07-30-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Psssst!!! Hey guess what?

IT IS NOT THE REPUBLICANS HOLDING UP HEALTH CARE IT IS DEMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The republicans have ZERO pull right now it is all on the Dems.
Nice try...

Conservatives have spent millions on ridiculous television spots against healthcare reform. These television spots are insulting to anyone with half a brain. They are utterly stupid and I can't imagine that Republicans think that lowly of their supporters. And its funny that the neocons are trying to paint this imaginary picture that Dems are at each others throats over healthcare reform. In reality, healthcare reform will pass, Dems are merely taking their time to ensure that this plan is constructed the right way. They are doing what we put them in office to do.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Nice try...

Conservatives have spent millions on ridiculous television spots against healthcare reform. These television spots are insulting to anyone with half a brain. They are utterly stupid and I can't imagine that Republicans think that lowly of their supporters. And its funny that the neocons are trying to paint this imaginary picture that Dems are at each others throats over healthcare reform. In reality, healthcare reform will pass, Dems are merely taking their time to ensure that this plan is constructed the right way. They are doing what we put them in office to do.
You really are a tart. The Dems OWN the Senate they can vote and pass the bill anytime they want. The Reps can do NOTHING about it.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:51 PM

9,366 posts, read 23,559,780 times
I don't think that Republicans are the only ones with wedgie issues.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
You really are a tart. The Dems OWN the Senate they can vote and pass the bill anytime they want. The Reps can do NOTHING about it.
What don't you understand about taking the time to get it right. Unlike the first Bush stimulus plan. Remember that cold day last November when most Americans pulled the lever for Obama and countless Democrats. The majority didn't happen by accident. Its what the American people wanted. Get over it.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:03 PM

48,508 posts, read 88,644,248 times
It also is Obama's spending. That is like saying that the wife who wants that new car when the husband knows they are about to go bankrupt is old finances. What time in getting it right ;they passed the stimulus without even reading it and most admit they have not read the healthycare bills proposed. Conyers says its not necessary. Bascially what is holding put healthcare is a series of want a Rolls on a chevy budget.I want a rolls to but I ain't going to get it no matter how I voted in reality. Promises verus reality in life.If the its different than i thnik then I vote to make me a millionaire; just need to find someone who will give it to me.You can get something for nothing ;get use to it.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
What don't you understand about taking the time to get it right. Unlike the first Bush stimulus plan. Remember that cold day last November when most Americans pulled the lever for Obama and countless Democrats. The majority didn't happen by accident. Its what the American people wanted. Get over it.
OMG!!! The "taking the time" part was what the REPUBLICANS were saying. If Obama had his way this mess would have been passed already but it still comes down to the fact that the Dems can pass whatever they want whenever they want. You are trying to blame republicans for something that does not exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies