Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 08:40 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,052,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Best question of this thread.
Yet no one seems to want to answer it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 08:52 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
"why is there an al-Qaeda in the first place?" There's no quick, glib answer, and it's a little dismaying to see a right winger ask it.

Do you mean, why did al-Qaeda overtly involve the US? Or, why has [the radical groups we lump together and call "al-Qaeda"] grown so much? Or...?

Old 07-31-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
"why is there an al-Quaeda in the first place?" There's no quick, glib answer.
I understand that. and actually originaly said something to that effect but deleted it after. I just believe America keeps digging its own holes in recent foreign affairs. Recent as in starting with Vietnam.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:00 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
I understand that. and actually originaly said something to that effect but deleted it after. I just believe America keeps digging its own holes in recent foreign affairs. Recent as in starting with Vietnam.
This is conspiracy-theoryish, but it's a hugely interesting perspective and does factually explain the birth of bin Laden's al-Qaeda. If you read it just be patient, go past the partisan stuff for the history only. I dont think this was ever shown on US TV (maybe, not sure).

The Power of Nightmares - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-31-2009, 09:05 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
I love how some RINO nitwits still like to play world cop.
I'm amazed how some nitwits like to retreat like cowards and give the regime that enables terrorist training camps a free pass. Not to mention allowing Bin Laden a free pass as well. People like you are a danger to this country. Disgusting.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:06 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Al Quaeda is but a rogue, competing faction of the CIA.

Though a divorce of convenience, messy as are most.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:09 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
I love how some RINO nitwits still like to play world cop.

I'm neither a RINO, a nitwit nor a proponent of playing world cop.

But, least we forget, the war in Afghanistan is not a world cop exercise, it's a totally legitimate, fully justified act of self defense because that's where the 9/11 attacks originated.

Do I like the way we've been doing it? No, the previous administration dropped the ball, badly, but that's no reason to just quit and go home, leaving those who would harm us again in control of the field. The new administrations plans have a good chance of success, so give them time to work before throwing in the towel.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:11 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
Quote:
Do you wonder why there is an Al Queda in the first place?

No, I don't wonder about it. I already know, but this isn't the place for a long diatribe on what caused the rise of al Queda and similar groups. Suffice it to say that they are there, they're still active, they mean us harm and we cannot simply walk away and pretend they're not.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
No, I don't wonder about it. I already know, but this isn't the place for a long diatribe on what caused the rise of al Queda and similar groups. Suffice it to say that they are there, they're still active, they mean us harm and we cannot simply walk away and pretend they're not.
and The US means no harm? The US is responsible for plenty of deaths as well. I am no anti war hippie but the more I learn about this so called war on terror the more it sounds like the war on drugs.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:26 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Actually, Obama campaigned relentlessly on the platform that he would end combat operations in Iraq and ramp them up in Afghanistan in order to pursue Al Qaeda.

I think his opponents assumed he was a dove based on propaganda and not really paying close attention, but he laid out a pretty intensive military strategy and now he's following through.

So, yes, redeploying troops to more effectively fight the war on terror is the hope and change for which we voted.
Thank You, you beat me to it.
Casper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies