Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Overall, do gay pride parades give you a positive or a negative impression of homosexuals?
I'm heterosexual and gay pride parades give me a POSITIVE impression of homosexuals. 14 13.46%
I'm heterosexual and gay pride parades give me a NEGATIVE impression. 63 60.58%
I'm not heterosexual and gay pride parades give me a POSITIVE impression. 13 12.50%
I'm not heterosexual and gay pride parades give me a NEGATIVE impression. 14 13.46%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 07:05 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
The difference is that, unlike those who attend Mardi Gras or St. Patrick's Day events, gays are trying to achieve legal and political goals. There's little doubt in my mind that the parades are hurting those causes. There's nothing wrong with having fun and being wild, but when it's in a public parade, gays shouldn't be surprised that significant numbers of people will have a negative reaction to it.
I see your point. Seeing as gays are trying to gain acceptance, it would behoove the parade participants to keep things respectable but fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 07:08 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Just wondering: Are you also against the festivals that take place following gay pride parades, or is it just the parades that bother you? I doubt most people have a problem with the festivals, but with your harsh reactions, I'm wondering how you feel about them.
Ya might want to consider stopping the nit-picking while you think you're ahead.

It's precisely this absolute obsession with your sexuality that causes others to lose that "sympathy" you and others, like TANaples think due you.

I don't "advertise" my sexuality to the world. I think that would be crude, vulgar and no one's business but my wife's and mine. 'Nough said?

Old 07-31-2009, 07:16 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Definitely a very negative impression.

I have seen some videos that could not be put on TV.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:16 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I see your point. Seeing as gays are trying to gain acceptance, it would behoove the parade participants to keep things respectable but fun.
I suspect the majority of parades are just that. The one in Milwaukee is totally tame, a few guys in underwear or dressed up in drag, that's about it.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:18 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,440,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
People like to eat drink and be merry, no matter what race, or sexual orientation. When they drink they act stupid, no matter who they are.

You are 100% correct which is exactly why I do not drink.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:20 PM

968 posts, read 1,039,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I think that would be crude, vulgar and no one's business but my wife's and mine. 'Nough said?
Uh, how gross. Your WIFE. Stop advertising your heterosexuality.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:28 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Ya might want to consider stopping the nit-picking while you think you're ahead.
I was interested in your opinions. I wasn't nit-picking. If you don't like a question, you can easily ignore it.

Quote:
It's precisely this absolute obsession with your sexuality that causes others to lose that "sympathy" you and others, like TANaples think due you.
I'm not obsessed. Again, I was just asking you for your opinion. My impression is that you have a major problem with homosexuality, and so I wanted to get a better understanding of your opinion. It's interesting that you criticize me for wanting to talk about it (on a thread about a gay-related issue, no less) when you post your opinions about it on nearly every thread about gay people. Who's obsessed?

Quote:
I don't "advertise" my sexuality to the world. I think that would be crude, vulgar and no one's business but my wife's and mine. 'Nough said?
No, it's not "nough said". I have my opinions. You have yours. You don't get to dictate how other people behave. I guess that's news to you. Maybe no one has ever told you that before.

If you don't want to talk about your sexual orientation, then don't. And if you believe that talking about the subject is "crude and vulgar", then don't come in to all of the gay-related threads simply to condemn homosexuals, as you have done repeatedly on this forum.

Go find something else to focus on if this is all so offensive to you.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:41 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
I was interested in your opinions. I wasn't nit-picking. If you don't like a question, you can easily ignore it.

I'm not obsessed. Again, I was just asking you for your opinion. My impression is that you have a major problem with homosexuality, and so I wanted to get a better understanding of your opinion. It's interesting that you criticize me for wanting to talk about it (on a thread about a gay-related issue, no less) when you post your opinions about it on nearly every thread about gay people. Who's obsessed?

No, it's not "nough said". I have my opinions. You have yours. You don't get to dictate how other people behave. I guess that's news to you. Maybe no one has ever told you that before.

If you don't want to talk about your sexual orientation, then don't. And if you believe that talking about the subject is "crude and vulgar", then don't come in to all of the gay-related threads simply to condemn homosexuals, as you have done repeatedly on this forum.

Go find something else to focus on if this is all so offensive to you.
::::sigh:::: I knew you couldn't/wouldn't leave it alone. The subject isn't "offensive" to me, nor did I say it was. Recommend you read a little more carefully and suspend your biases for a moment before you do so. By the same token, I didn't say the subject was "crude and vulgar." See same recommendatron!

Never tried to dictate to others about their behavior. Have simply expressed opinions. Again, please see above recommendation.

So just why is it you want my opinion?

Old 07-31-2009, 07:50 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
::::sigh:::: I knew you couldn't/wouldn't leave it alone.
Correct. I don't stop giving my opinions on a subject just because some anonymous guy on a message board tells me to stop.

Quote:
So just why is it you want my opinion?
I was interested in your opinion because your statements about gays are noticeably more condemning than the statements from the others, even those who have negative things to say about gay pride parades.

My question, again: Are you also against the festivals that take place following most gay pride parades? If so, why?

Old 07-31-2009, 09:08 PM

36 posts, read 42,910 times
Perhaps the most suitable word is preference..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies