Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Overall, do gay pride parades give you a positive or a negative impression of homosexuals?
I'm heterosexual and gay pride parades give me a POSITIVE impression of homosexuals. 14 13.46%
I'm heterosexual and gay pride parades give me a NEGATIVE impression. 63 60.58%
I'm not heterosexual and gay pride parades give me a POSITIVE impression. 13 12.50%
I'm not heterosexual and gay pride parades give me a NEGATIVE impression. 14 13.46%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 02:36 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,438,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Using a gay pride parade to get your impression of gay people or the "gay lifestyle" or "gay culture" (whatever that is)... is about as ignorant as using the St. Paddy's day parade to learn about how everyday Irish people live, work, and dress.

It's akin to going to Mardi Gras in Louisiana as a foreigner, to better understand the straight American lifestyle... and especially, the morals and modesty and mating rituals of the "typical" straight American woman and man (beads for boobs, anyone? -- isn't that how all straight people act?)

It's like going to Brazil during Carnival, and basing your opinion on the Brazilian people based on the colorful characters in the parades and on floats.

Again.... ignorant. No, worse than ignorant.... stupid.
I understand what you are saying but for people who do not have any interaction with gays in their lives that is all they see and no matter how hard someone tries when that is all you know it hard to imagine anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 02:39 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Looks pretty tame to me - but a nice crowd of 20,000 along the main route - our county sheriff was even doing the equestrian event:

Scenes from the Dallas Pride Parade - Dallas - Slideshows

Old 07-31-2009, 02:41 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Using a gay pride parade to get your impression of gay people or the "gay lifestyle" or "gay culture" (whatever that is)... is about as ignorant as using the St. Paddy's day parade to learn about how everyday Irish people live, work, and dress.
Yes, but the reality is that about 1/3 of Americans say they have no close relatives or friends who are gay. That means that it's probably public events like the parades that give them their biggest impression of gays.

Also, about half of Americans say that society is paying too much attention to the needs of gays and lesbians. When you've got half of society saying that they're already hearing "too much" about gay issues, having a controversial parade every year in every city doesn't seem like a very good idea.

National (US) Poll * April 30, 2009 * Gays

Old 07-31-2009, 02:51 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
I think the majority of Americans, like me, are more than willing to accept the gay lifestyle, but they'll never approve of it. That's an entirely different matter which no amount of parades, or whatever, will overcome.

Too many of the more flagrant gay pride parades seem to fluant their difference and that, inevitably, leads to a backlash which only hurts the gay community.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:02 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I think the majority of Americans, like me, are more than willing to accept the gay lifestyle, but they'll never approve of it. That's an entirely different matter which no amount of parades, or whatever, will overcome.

Too many of the more flagrant gay pride parades seem to fluant their difference and that, inevitably, leads to a backlash which only hurts the gay community.
I do appreciate your honest thoughts, but assuming that homosexuals were born to be homosexual and have no control over the fact that they are attracted to the same sex, would you still say that you disapprove of it? If it's not changeable, then would you suggest that they be celibate in order for you to approve of it? (Or would even celibacy not be enough to get your approval?)

Old 07-31-2009, 03:25 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Awww, you hurt my feewings! Seriously, I cannot believe YOU of all people don't find flashing t*ts for beads as perverted. That is seriously whacked.
Flashing breasts for beads is brazen - just as men in leather butt-out chaps is brazen. Neither one of these parade goers is perverted in my opinion - they are brazen.

A perversion can be heterosexual or homosexual and if they're engaging in perverted acts at either parade it doesn't make it any less perverted if it's coming from boobage exposing female Mardi Gras goers, or the Sisters of Perpetual Sin wearing fetish gear at a gay parade.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:25 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I do appreciate your honest thoughts, but assuming that homosexuals were born to be homosexual and have no control over the fact that they are attracted to the same sex, would you still say that you disapprove of it? If it's not changeable, then would you suggest that they be celibate in order for you to approve of it? (Or would even celibacy not be enough to get your approval?)
In the first place, I don't believe anyone was born that way, any more than I believe someone was born to rob banks or murder. Granted, we all are little more than the sum total of our genetics and environment, but just because we are tempted to do certain things does not give us liberty to give into those urges.

Secondly, why should I not expect gay people to keep from doing it? Don't I also expect married folks to keep from having sexual relations with someone outside the marriage contract? Don't I also expect those tempted to rob banks from doing so? Don't I also expect those who have the urge to kill me to refrain from doing so? Of course I do, and so do you. Society is built upon such expectations. Without such expectations, and enforcement of them, we don't live in a civilized society; we live in anarchy where each man can do whatever he pleases.

Thirdly, in spite of all that, I'm more than willing to accept that not everyone can overcome their temptations, any more than I can. Being who I am, and subject to my own failures, I'm in no position to point the finger at anyone.

Fourth, there is the issue of the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence. If I really believe in those documents, and I do, there is no legal, lawful or even God-given avenue to deny those who chose to engage in homosexul activity the right to live as they so chose. I may not, personally, agree with that choice, but I will defend to the death your right to live as you damn well please.

Fifthly, my approval is not necessary, or even required, for you or anyone else to chose the your own path through life. I, and those like me, may think you're misguided and buying a peck of trouble, but that means nothing to you. Nor should it. You, like me, are a free moral agent; free to make your own decisions, to chart your own life, to do whatever you want. Far be it from me to say, "You can't do that," so long as no one else is hurt in the process.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:31 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,438,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
In the first place, I don't believe anyone was born that way, any more than I believe someone was born to rob banks or murder. Granted, we all are little more than the sum total of our genetics and environment, but just because we are tempted to do certain things does not give us liberty to give into those urges.

Secondly, why should I not expect gay people to keep from doing it? Don't I also expect married folks to keep from having sexual relations with someone outside the marriage contract? Don't I also expect those tempted to rob banks from doing so? Don't I also expect those who have the urge to kill me to refrain from doing so? Of course I do, and so do you. Society is built upon such expectations. Without such expectations, and enforcement of them, we don't live in a civilized society; we live in anarchy where each man can do whatever he pleases.

Thirdly, in spite of all that, I'm more than willing to accept that not everyone can overcome their temptations, any more than I can. Being who I am, and subject to my own failures, I'm in no position to point the finger at anyone.

Fourth, there is the issue of the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence. If I really believe in those documents, and I do, there is no legal, lawful or even God-given avenue to deny those who chose to engage in homosexul activity the right to live as they so chose. I may not, personally, agree with that choice, but I will defend to the death your right to live as you damn well please.

Fifthly, my approval is not necessary, or even required, for you or anyone else to chose the your own path through life. I, and those like me, may think you're misguided and buying a peck of trouble, but that means nothing to you. Nor should it. You, like me, are a free moral agent; free to make your own decisions, to chart your own life, to do whatever you want. Far be it from me to say, "You can't do that," so long as no one else is hurt in the process.

Wow!!! you really think that gay's "choose" to be gay? Why would anyone want a life of rejection, being harassed and even killed in some places. You really think that is a choice?

Old 07-31-2009, 03:34 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,278,610 times
Where's the I don't care either way option. If some sort of gay pride parade is going on in San Francisco, I stay away because traffic will suck and drunks will be everywhere, come to think of it, that's always San Francisco.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:45 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Normally I don't give the gay issue a whole lot of thought. What anyone does in their own home is none of my concern. Two guys hanging out?? Who cares anyway? Two guys holding hands or making out will make my head turn once or twice but then I am over it that fast. Too each their own...
The parades that I have seen in the media have in fact disturbed me. Why? Because it would seem that the media will pick the most over the top scenes and portray that as the parade theme. What concerns me I guess is the public S&M displays. I am certain that I would not want young children to view those particular floats.
But then again I have seen some goth folks that by far bothered me more than any gay parade. The dog collars and leash crap for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies