Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are we getting ripped off with health care system?
Yes, it's time for reform 21 87.50%
No, I love to pay $100 for a bottle of medicine 3 12.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 10:44 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
First off, the local department store, home improvement store, the local Target, KMart etc buy / import their merchandise FROM THE VERY SAME PLACES WALMART does. So, if you have problems with WalMart - I suggest, STRONGLY, you not shop at any other store.

And no, I do not "believe" they are importing medications from sources not approved by the FDA / Federal Government.

Now, if you have PROOF - not rumor or innuendo, to the contrary, I would encourage you to provide that PROOF to Federal Authorities.
I don't. I go out of my way not to. There are online sites for Made in The USA products. I also puchase from fair trade merchants. You are funny. There are so many articles and yet you are denying the truth. Hey, I'm fortunate enough not to be on any meds, but I would certainly be aware of their place of origin if I were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 10:45 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times
It is a little complicated but here goes. Most of the drugs on the market are not better than the drugs that they replace. Your doctor prescribes the new drug and you pay the cost of the new drug. There are no generics for the new drug because the drug company has a patent on the new drug so there can't be any generics made.

The drug companies have to produce the new drugs and say that they are new and improved and convince your doctor and you that they actually are otherwise you would be able to buy the generic form of the old drug for $4 at Walmart.

The drug companies can not get away with this in Europe. The Europeans will not pay the same price for new drugs as we do. The health care system is single pay or government controlled and the government will not pay for a new drug that is almost identical to the old drug, therefore the drug companies have to sale the drug for a much smaller profit, still a profit there as they can here, but it is exactly the same drug.

You would think some entrepreur would figure out that if it is the same drug produced from the same factory in the U.S. why can't we buy the drug in Europe and ship it back to the states and distribute for a profit. Well the drug companies fixed that by lobbying congress to enact laws that prohibit the sale of their own drugs from Europe to the U.S.

There is something you can do. When you go to the doctor and he wants to give you a new drug. Ask him what drug what you have given me 7 years ago. You have about a 94% chance that the two drugs are almost identical and then you can get the generic because the patent has probably expired.

Oh and as far the R&D expense. Of the new drugs that are produced only about 6% are actually new. A third of a Pharms budget is spent on R&D, more of the pharms budget is actually spent on marketing. So when they say we are spending more money on R&D they would be right if R&D stands for Researching new ways to rip the consumer off and developing a plan to carry the fraud.

The Truth About Drug Companies | Mother Jones

Old 07-31-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
It is a little complicated but here goes. Most of the drugs on the market are not better than the drugs that they replace. Your doctor prescribes the new drug and you pay the cost of the new drug. There are no generics for the new drug because the drug company has a patent on the new drug so there can't be any generics made.

The drug companies have to produce the new drugs and say that they are new and improved and convince your doctor and you that they actually are otherwise you would be able to buy the generic form of the old drug for $4 at Walmart.

The drug companies can not get away with this in Europe. The Europeans will not pay the same price for new drugs as we do. The health care system is single pay or government controlled and the government will not pay for a new drug that is almost identical to the old drug, therefore the drug companies have to sale the drug for a much smaller profit, still a profit there as they can here, but it is exactly the same drug.

You would think some entrepreur would figure out that if it is the same drug produced from the same factory in the U.S. why can't we buy the drug in Europe and ship it back to the states and distribute for a profit. Well the drug companies fixed that by lobbying congress to enact laws that prohibit the sale of their own drugs from Europe to the U.S.

There is something you can do. When you go to the doctor and he wants to give you a new drug. Ask him what drug what you have given me 7 years ago. You have about a 94% chance that the two drugs are almost identical and then you can get the generic because the patent has probably expired.

Oh and as far the R&D expense. Of the new drugs that are produced only about 6% are actually new. A third of a Pharms budget is spent on R&D, more of the pharms budget is actually spent on marketing. So when they say we are spending more money on R&D they would be right if R&D stands for Researching new ways to rip the consumer off and developing a plan to carry the fraud.

The Truth About Drug Companies | Mother Jones
Our Daily Meds

Our Daily Meds

Prescription medicines can help you if you get the right drug at the right time. But over the last 25 years, a powerful force has made that less likely to happen. That force is aggressive promotion on the part of the pharmaceutical industry. The big drug companies have learned that if they spend enough promoting a drug – even one that often doesn’t work as advertised – they can earn billions of dollars.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:55 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I don't. I go out of my way not to. There are online sites for Made in The USA products.
Glad to hear it.

Of course, I know how difficult it must be to do without a Microwave, Refrigerator, Television, Toaster, Dishwasher, Sheets and Pillow cases, Soap etc.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:59 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
Quote:
Glad to hear it.

Of course, I know how difficult it must be to do without a Microwave, Refrigerator, Television, Toaster, Dishwasher, Sheets and Pillow cases, Soap etc.

American Made Products Directory - Made in USA, United States Manufacturers

Old 07-31-2009, 10:59 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Here's the one thing that nobody in the right wing media will talk about.

Why in the hell is medicine so damn expensive in the United States?
Money+power. Lobbyists are the catalyst. Remember when Mr. Bush claimed that cheaper Canadian pharmaceuticals were not allowed, because they "couldn't" test them for quality? Well that's only one example of tyrannical money-grubbing pharmaceutical-industry greed.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Glad to hear it.

If you don't think that it is worth going out of your way, that is your business. Yes, it is true that appliances are no longer manufactured here, but linens (organic cotton/hemp/bamboo) are available made here or fair trade places. Soap??? Are you kidding me? Any health food store has soap that is made here. I have soap in my house made in Petaluma, CA and Portland, Oregon. In fact all of my household cleaning products are made in the USA. They might be a bit more costly, but the money is going to American workers and small business owners.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:33 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Republicans: "We have the best health care system in World, period!!!"
Liberal: "Why are medicines so expensive in the US even though taxpayers pay for a lot of the medical research"?

Old 08-01-2009, 06:49 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Money+power. Lobbyists are the catalyst. Remember when Mr. Bush claimed that cheaper Canadian pharmaceuticals were not allowed, because they "couldn't" test them for quality? Well that's only one example of tyrannical money-grubbing pharmaceutical-industry greed.
You can buy drugs made in the U.S. cheaper in Canada but it is illegal to bring them back. We are getting royally screwed.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:27 PM

422 posts, read 756,998 times
I called a clinic to get my toe looked at so they can "say" that yes I need some lamisil for my fungus and they said that would cost around 200 to get the prescription and 70 for lamisil.

270????? freaking crazy

I crossed the border to Brownsville Texas and picked up a 36 tablet box of Lamisil for 10 dollars..problem fixed. Every year thousands of "snowbirds" in case your wondering snowbirds flock to South Texas in the hundreds of thousands to buy Meds in Reynosa, Progresso, and Matamoros. Well they don't just go to buy meds they spend their winters down in south Texas but they partake in the cheap meds there and cheap dental work. I got a crown last year in Mexico in a very nice dental clinic there..cost: 30 bucks. And I was very satisfied. My sister who is a City Public Service worker in San Antonio paid 1000.00 dollars for a root canal with health insurance.

I know get my health care in Malaysia. They are way ahead of us in Health care very nice facilities and more modern than ours with smaller wait times.

It's getting worse and worse here, when I retire, I'm outta here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies