U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Are we getting ripped off with health care system?
Yes, it's time for reform 21 87.50%
No, I love to pay $100 for a bottle of medicine 3 12.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-31-2009, 08:42 PM

9,993 posts, read 9,039,682 times
Default Why is medicine in the US so expensive?

Here's the one thing that nobody in the right wing media will talk about.

Why in the hell is medicine so damn expensive in the United States?
We pay with our tax money for the research of medicine and then get charged absolutely ridiculous prices for that medicine.

$30 billion dollar budget for medical research (tax money)
NIH - Budget

Cheap prescription drugs creating new brand of US tourist in Canada,Mexico
June 2000
http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/162/13/1869
Overall, the survey found that for the 10 most commonly prescribed drugs, average prices were 64% lower in Canada than in Washington state.

The
Arizona Republic notes that in the Mexican border town of Algodones, 28 farmacias are clustered in a 3-block area well known to thousands of Americans who venture in regularly for their medications. Many claim they save US$500 to $600 per trip.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 08:53 PM

1,055 posts, read 779,482 times
I don't care how much cheaper the drugs cost in Mexico, I wouldn't trust them no matter how desperate I was. As to cheaper drugs in Canada, correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the government subsidize the cost some? I mean heck, you can get $4 prescriptions at Walmart, so in some cases it isn't all that bad.

Of course you will always run into the specialty drugs that are fairly new or only used in limited numbers, of course they will be expensive, that's just supply and demand issues.

There is no magic wand to wave over the problem and magically give everyone the medical coverage they want for the price they want, there will be pain one way or the other. The question is how much do you give to folks for medical care and where do you take from? I personally don't want to watch my country's economy to collapse in order to give insurance to everyone. It just doesn't make sense, and yes it will suck somewhere along the line, someone will end up being told no and we will get to read the story, but we will never hear from ones who get told yes, and we will never hear how not giving everyone coverage helped the economy.

I will be honest, I am kinda glad I'm not the one making these decisions, but if forced to do so I will side with the economy. It would be bad, but I rather tell 30 million no you don't get insurance then tell 300 million my plan bankrupted the country.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:04 PM

9,993 posts, read 9,039,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
I will be honest, I am kinda glad I'm not the one making these decisions, but if forced to do so I will side with the economy. It would be bad, but I rather tell 30 million no you don't get insurance then tell 300 million my plan bankrupted the country.
Do you think employment-based health insurance is free?

U.S. Firms Losing Health Care Battle, GM Chairman Says (washingtonpost.com)

Old 07-31-2009, 09:05 PM

11,333 posts, read 7,451,511 times
Too many middle men.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:08 PM

4,060 posts, read 2,336,526 times
Marketing is a bigger contributor to the cost of drugs in the US than research and development.

Like everything else, the drugs we take are produced all over the world. Some are produced in this country, a lot are made in other countries, including Mexico.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:24 PM

4,158 posts, read 1,821,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
I don't care how much cheaper the drugs cost in Mexico, I wouldn't trust them no matter how desperate I was. As to cheaper drugs in Canada, correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the government subsidize the cost some? I mean heck, you can get $4 prescriptions at Walmart, so in some cases it isn't all that bad.

Of course you will always run into the specialty drugs that are fairly new or only used in limited numbers, of course they will be expensive, that's just supply and demand issues.

There is no magic wand to wave over the problem and magically give everyone the medical coverage they want for the price they want, there will be pain one way or the other. The question is how much do you give to folks for medical care and where do you take from? I personally don't want to watch my country's economy to collapse in order to give insurance to everyone. It just doesn't make sense, and yes it will suck somewhere along the line, someone will end up being told no and we will get to read the story, but we will never hear from ones who get told yes, and we will never hear how not giving everyone coverage helped the economy.

The cheap Walmart drugs are 1) Generics that no longer have patent protection and have in nearly every case been superceeded by new and more effective drugs and 2) Are probably made by Chinese or Indian drug manufactures. Some of the companies have been bared from the US or European markets because the drugs have been tainted or produced in factories that do not meet quality or sanitary standards of the FDA (USA) or various European regulators.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
The cheap Walmart drugs are 1) Generics that no longer have patent protection and have in nearly every case been superceeded by new and more effective drugs
No. Newer, yes. More effective? Don't be so sure. Many, many of the older drugs are every bit as effective as the newer ones. It's simply that the off-patent drugs are no longer marketed to the public or the medical professionals.

Quote:
and 2) Are probably made by Chinese or Indian drug manufactures. Some of the companies have been bared from the US or European markets because the drugs have been tainted or produced in factories that do not meet quality or sanitary standards of the FDA (USA) or various European regulators.
One of the largest manufacturers of generic drugs in this country was shut down after many years because it was finally discovered that the drugs were tainted/didn't meet standards. Same thing happened in England. In that case, the problem was related to the production of flu vaccines in 2004. The factory was shut down for unsanitary conditions.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:53 PM

1,882 posts, read 1,951,431 times
Medical costs in the USA are superhigh because!
1. you must pay for the insurance companies markup and their layer of "see what you can do to break this contract" people.
2. pay for all the advertising that is being done in this country.
3. pay for the lobbiests and the bribe money to keep someone from overseeing or competing with the drug industries.
4. pay for the obsene wages of insurance and drug companie ceo's and higherups.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckdoc View Post
Medical costs in the USA are superhigh because!
1. you must pay for the insurance companies markup and their layer of "see what you can do to break this contract" people.
2. pay for all the advertising that is being done in this country.
3. pay for the lobbiests and the bribe money to keep someone from overseeing or competing with the drug industries.
4. pay for the obsene wages of insurance and drug companie ceo's and higherups.
5. pay for the doctors who secretly serve as shills for the drug companies.
6. pay for the ghostwriters who write the journal articles which are published under the names of researchers and doctors.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:58 PM

25,105 posts, read 23,005,411 times
The FACT is, many medications - not all, don't cost $100. These medications are available for $4.00 for a 30 day supply or $10.00 for a 90 day supply.

I do not consider that a "rip off".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies