Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 09:42 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,472,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Fortunately this peculiar bit of faux-victim fantasy has no basis in reality. When people say racist things others call them out on it. I defy you to find an exchange in this entire forum in which someone is criticizing, say, the health care plan or federal spending and is called a racist for it.

Its more diffuse than that and you know it. Give your side more credit for god's sake! I do. The OP uses the word "hate" (another shaming word). They may not use the word "racist" when a specific policy is criticized, but rather its thrown out (along with "hate") when Obama himself is criticized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
If they do keep Guantanamo open, I trust there'll be better supervision and Im sure that trials will move ahead apace.
You "trust"? Why?

Old 08-01-2009, 09:47 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,040,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
Its more diffuse than that and you know it. Give your side more credit for god's sake! I do. The OP uses the word "hate" (another shaming word). They may not use the word "racist" when a specific policy is criticized, but rather its thrown out (along with "hate") when Obama himself is criticized.
Only if he's being criticized because of his color, or if people are associating some cliched behavior with him because of his color, nightflight. No other time.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Only if he's being criticized because of his color, or if people are associating some cliched behavior with him because of his color, nightflight. No other time.
"Although the Republicans and their so-called "Blue Dog" conservative Democrats claimed they oppose President Obama's health care plan because it would increase the nation's debt, the real reason is driven by racism and the fact that the majority who would benefit from health care reform are minorities, the poor and families burdened by uninsured health challenges."
Ray Hanania: Opposition to Obama Health Care Reform Driven by Racism Not Fear of Increasing Debt

That took 3 seconds to find. I guess though since I didn't find it on this forum it doesn't count, right?

Old 08-01-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
You "trust"? Why?
Well, I "expect", then. Why either one: because Obama has said from before day one he would start trials and end torture, thereby to uphold the moral principles of the United States. The Obama Admin doesnt have the same mentality the old Emerald City- PNAC crew had, surely you see that.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:56 AM

24,869 posts, read 24,304,054 times
Americans are tired of the partisan bickering from both sides of the aisle. What we need are representatives that are willing to debate, come to an agreement, and then pass a law thats good for everyone.

Ever hear the statement, "Absolute power corrupts absolutely"? The problem with the Republican party, is for 6 out of W's 8 years they had absolute power. No one asked questions, everyone drank the Kool Aid and enjoyed it.

The lefts problem is that they think that the last 8 years was such a disaster, that they've got to push back just as hard. If they continue at the pace that they have been, then they'll lead to the same place that Bush was going towards.

The answer lies in the middle. With a good debate, and reasonable thinking, that will put is in the right place.

Republicans problem, are those that think the United States is a leave it to beaver movie. Their parties ideals are good, small government, small taxes, small military, things like that. If they don't follow their roots, they'll destroy themselves.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Well, I "expect", then. Why either one: because Obama has said from before day one he would start trials and end torture, thereby to uphold the moral principles of the United States. The Obama Admin doesnt have the same mentality the old Emerald City- PNAC crew had, surely you see that.

YouTube - RACHEL MADDOW DESTROYS OBAMA ON LYING TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE

Old 08-01-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
"Although the Republicans and their so-called "Blue Dog" conservative Democrats claimed they oppose President Obama's health care plan because it would increase the nation's debt, the real reason is driven by racism and the fact that the majority who would benefit from health care reform are minorities, the poor and families burdened by uninsured health challenges."
Ray Hanania: Opposition to Obama Health Care Reform Driven by Racism Not Fear of Increasing Debt

That took 3 seconds to find. I guess though since I didn't find it on this forum it doesn't count, right?
Oh, I thought you meant people on this forum, not bloggers. I thought you meant people talking directly to other people on C-D.

Ray Hanania is Arabic, of course he'll be more sensitive to racist or class implications in political policy. And actually I think he's got a point in that post -- it is odd that the Repugs didnt make so much as a whimper when Bush was ratcheting up the debt -- but I dont think it's racism driving them against health care for the poor.

What else you got?

Three seconds to find, yes, computers are amazing

Old 08-01-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
YouTube - RACHEL MADDOW DESTROYS OBAMA ON LYING TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE
Maddow fan? Who knew. Dont you love that she -- Olbermann too -- will get after Obama and Democrats if they think they're going wrong? Unlike the right wing's "pundits."

In this case I think she's making an unreasonable and faux-naive complaint, though. There *is* a GIGANTIC difference between Bush's forget-em standard and what Obama is trying to work out, which I think everyone can agree is uncharted territory.

"I want to be very clear that our goal is to construct a legitimate legal framework for Guantanamo detainees - not to avoid one. In our constitutional system, prolonged detention should not be the decision of any one man. If and when we determine that the United States must hold individuals to keep them from carrying out an act of war, we will do so within a system that involves judicial and congressional oversight."

He explains exactly and clearly what the dilemma is, and what the Obama DoJ is aiming for in creating a new legal framework to handle a new legal problem.

Do you disagree that this needs to be accomplished?

Here:

Transcript Of President Obama’s Speech About Guantánamo And Terrorism, May 21, 2009 | Andy Worthington

Old 08-01-2009, 10:23 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,829,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Wow. One sentence about what Democrat activists have pointed out about Scott Rasmussen.

Why didn't you include this part of the wiki entry:

He has been called “one of America’s most innovative pollsters” by commentator Michael Barone.[citation needed] Rasmussen Reports polls are notable for their use of automated public opinion polling, involving pre-recorded telephone inquiries.[4] These types of polls have been shown[citation needed] to produce accurate results at low cost, although some traditional pollsters are skeptical of this methodology and prefer traditional, operator-assisted polling techniques.[5] Polls by Rasmussen Reports are cited regularly by most major news sources, and as a guest analyst Rasmussen has appeared on a number of news broadcasts, including the Fox News Channel, the BBC, CNN, NPR, and CNBC.
A Fordham University analysis ranked Rasmussen Reports as the most accurate national polling firm in Election 2008.[6]
Reports by Slate Magazine and The Wall Street Journal found that Rasmussen Reports was one of the most accurate polling firms for the 2004 United States presidential election and 2006 United States general elections. [7][8]
Rasmussen Reports conducted the polls featured on the CBS game show Power of 10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies