Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 06:41 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,167,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
This is from an anti-Obama reporter, so you're probably allowed to read it: President Obama, PAYGO, and the Deficit Hole - Political Punch

Uh-oh, CNN: Obama proposes making 'pay-as-you-go' the law
Thats all well and good. But when will it start? Universal Healthcare comes with a hefty price tag. How will he manage this and keep his promise of not raising taxes?
Will this apply to his multi trillion dollar bailout spending? What about the 800 million to rebuild Gaza?
What happened to his war on pork?
See what I am saying? I am not a republican. More of a Libertarian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 06:43 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,695,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
Good morning Kool Aid gulpers!

Please don't confuse oppostion to Obama's reshaping the US with 'hate'. We don't hate anyone. We do hate the policies that will radically revamp this country and turn us in to one giant version of France, sans culture and food. Now it is true we tend to condescend. But when confronted with sophomoric rants and lectures on the failings of this country that's only natural. You see, we see America's best days have yet to come and you, well, sadly, you never thought this country was all that great to begin with. So we oppose childish things like government run health care, a welfare system that only serves to keep people in poverty, a foreign policy that actively serves to empower our enemies and weaken us at home.
You oppose anything that will help the working people in the country. Always have. The working people are not asking for a hand out but some help. Why should things like healthcare and housing be only for the rich?

Last edited by linicx; 08-01-2009 at 07:26 AM..

Old 08-01-2009, 06:43 AM

29,978 posts, read 18,549,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I think it makes him prone to have to make decisions that weren't even addressed in bush's term!

What did bush do to make health care more affordable?? Oh , ya, he gave the wealthiest 2% of the population a huge tax break....my,my , didn't THAT help the eonomy!!!!
Tax cuts under Bush DID improve the economy. Tax cuts under Reagan DID improve the economy. Tax cuts under Kennedy DID improve the economy.

Remember that Bush inherited an economic downturn and a "dot com" bubble burst from Clinton. His tax cuts did revive the economy. What killed it? It started with the housing crash and escalated. What was the cause of the housing crash? It started with the fair housing act of 1979 in which Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were compelled to provide loans to lower income buyers, many of which would not possible be able to pay those loans. Those loans were bundled and sold among commercial banks and brokerages as investment products, so the "poison" infiltrated through the financial system.

Who is to blame for the housing crash? Everybody who presided over that practice from 1979 to the present. Who was the only president who tried to stop this practice? Bush in 2006- however, the democratic congress killed it. Not that I liked Bush at all, but he was the only president who actually attempted to stop that practice from 1979 on. Note that currently, the dems are blocking an attempt to investigate cheap personal housing loans to senators and congressman from Countrywide Credit, which is now a part of Bank of America. Also note the sweetheart, so to speak, deals that Chris Dodd and Barney Frank recieved from Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, not to mention the affair that Barny Frank was having with an executive (male) at Fannie Mae.

Let us be patient and see how the policies of Obama unfold. The proof will be in the pudding. If Obama cuts unemployment back down to under 4%, cuts the deficit, increases incomes, provides affordable health care to all, I will become a democrat. I think, however, that only Christ could feed thousands with two fish and three loaves of bread, so I remain skeptical. The math simply does not work.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
I'm a conservative and I don't hate Obama I just don't think he is doing what is best for the country. Now if you want to call my opposition to some of his plans hate go ahead but it is completely dumb of anyone to want the country to fail because if it does we ALL fail right with it.
When you people question his citizenship and speak ill of his wife, it has gone far beyond policy differences. I could not STAND The Idiot (W) but I beg that you go through every post in my history here and you will not see ONE attacking his wife, his mother or questioning his citizenship in the United States. Not one.

35,016 posts, read 39,064,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Thats all well and good. But when will it start? Universal Healthcare comes with a hefty price tag. How will he manage this and keep his promise of not raising taxes?
Will this apply to his multi trillion dollar bailout spending? What about the 800 million to rebuild Gaza?
What happened to his war on pork?
See what I am saying? I am not a republican. More of a Libertarian.
Yeah, it is "all well and good," thanks for admitting it. Now we're getting somewhere, maybe.

PAYGO applies to fixed costs, not discretionary spending.

Multi-trillion bailout spending, link to that number?

$800 million to rebuild Gaza, do you mean $20 million?

Could you list some of the pork Obama is funding?

24,364 posts, read 22,950,229 times
They look at Obama's failures and see successes. I bet they see Obama's steady decline in the polls as positive. When Obama leaves office in 2012 (Mod: Edit) will they be cheering louder than the republicans?
Talk about Bizarro World.....

Last edited by linicx; 08-01-2009 at 07:33 AM..

Old 08-01-2009, 06:49 AM

Quote:
There's a saying in politics, 'when the other guy is committing suicide, get out of the way'. In this case 'the other guy' is the Democratic party. I predict significant GOP gains in the House, modest gains in the Senate and several Governorships captured in the mid terms. Your side is over reaching. And faster than I could have hoped. The fatal mistake made by the Democratic leadership was to interpret Obama's victory as some broad endorsement of leftist policies. Obama's election was really an anomoly. People were caught up in the history of the moment. But the democratic leadership couldn't see that. They immediately began over reaching. It started with the ill advised stimulus package, then cap and trade and now health care. They were so desparate have a health care bill ready for the August break because they know their constituents don't want what they're selling, some total revamping of our current system in preparation for a model, universal health care rationing, which has failed everywhere it's been implemented. They wanted to return to their districts with a done deal so they would not have to face their constitutents. Well they failed and now they are about to hold town meetings and they are going to get an earful. Do keep over reaching though. It just makes getting republicans elected in the mid terms that much easier.

Have a gander at this poll. If you dare. And while it's only one poll it should give any Dem. cause for concern.
We are not concerned about polls in a non election year. Sometimes a President has to take a hit in the polls to do what is right for the country. That is what this President is doing. By 2010 things will be better. By 2012 they will hopefully be much better despite the fact the Republicans are doing all they can to make our nation fail.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:51 AM

2,170 posts, read 2,854,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
You oppose anything that will help the working people in the country. Always have. The working people are not asking for a hand out but some help. Why should things like healthcare and housing be only for the rich?
I support unshackling business from the yoke of onerous government regulation and taxation so it can hire more workers. It's really very simple. I'll try to explain: successful business means more workers employed. Unsuccessful business means more unemployed workers. Even you should be able to grasp that.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:52 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,064,536 times
Quote:
I support unshackling business so it can hire more workers. It's really very simple. I'll try to explain: successful business means more workers employed. Unsuccessful business means more unemployed workers. Even you should be able to grasp that.
I suppose you mean taxes and paperwork are the shackles. So why are so many businesses letting workers go? Obama hasnt shackled them yet.

Maybe it's got nothing to do with Obama

Old 08-01-2009, 06:52 AM

29,978 posts, read 18,549,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Most of the time people complain that the President is not getting anything done. This is the first President I recall that is being complained about for doing too much!
Teddy Roosevelt, Franklin Roosevelt, Abraham Lincoln, Reagan, Lyndon Johnson, Kennedy to name a few were criticized for doing too much.

I think the criticism is not so much doing too much, it is doing too much of what many percieve to be the wrong path.

Again, time will tell. Most of the Obama supporters justify anything done by him saying, "at least it is better than Bush!". We are not evaluating Bush anymore; he is no longer president and will be evaluated on what he did by history, but it is somewhat irrelevant now. Let's see how Obama does. He is the president now. I just wonder if things under Obama end up poorly, with a worsening economy, debt, and unemployment as definite possibilities, what his supporters will say then? Probably make some other irrelevant comparisons, like "he is better than Hitler". That may be the only valid comparison left that paints Obama in a favorable fashion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies