Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 08:15 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I will admit that mistakes- bad mistakes- were made in Fannie and Freddie and- yes- some of them were the fault of the Democrats. But I will also say that Democrat programs like the VA Housing and FHA have helped millions of Americans for decades into their first homes. Republicans of course oppose these as they do anything that helps anybody but the rich.
Not to mention FDR's original GI Bill, Ernest McFarland's GI Bill, liberal Republican Eisenhower's extension of the GI Bill, later Democratic Congress extensions of the GI Bill, and the new GI Bill that John McCain alone didnt show up to vote on. (Well, neither did T Kennedy but he was having brain surgery.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 08:20 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
LOL, after Obama and comapny are done it will take decades for the Democrats to recover if at all.
The democrats are taking a lot of criticism as they work to repair this country.

Whereas the republicans are criticizing to repair the republican party!

Old 08-01-2009, 08:22 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,970,206 times
Just another chess move on a forum where most everyone has already made up their minds to account for Obama's fast falling poll numbers.

It's as if they are claiming that polling numbers don't count anymore.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:24 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Just another chess move on a forum where most everyone has already made up their minds to account for Obama's fast falling poll numbers.

They dont matter now as much as they did during the presidential race

Old 08-01-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:

How are the poll numbers for the Republicans doing?

http://www.pollingreport.com/cong_rep.htm

Last edited by jojajn; 08-01-2009 at 08:28 AM.. Reason: add something

Old 08-01-2009, 08:27 AM

They actually matter more based on '10 coming up...fast.

Plus, it matters because you can't simply "ram policies through" when millions of angry constituents of Congress and Senate members are threatening to vote for your opponent and put you out of a job.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
How are the poll numbers for the Republicans doing?
I'm not a Republican, so why should I care?

As far as the independent fiscal conservatives, the numbers are continuing to climb...fast. The only question is how many seats will be lost by incumbents on both sides. Maybe we'll beat the record, whatever that is. Even Dodd the invincible is likely going to lose against Schiff or one of the other "moderates". Putting congressional members out of a job is a sign that people are waking up.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
I'm not a Republican, so why should I care?

As far as the independent fiscal conservatives, the numbers are continuing to climb...fast. The only question is how many seats will be lost by incumbents on both sides. Maybe we'll beat the record, whatever that is. Even Dodd the invincible is likely going to lose against Schiff or one of the other "moderates". Putting congressional members out of a job is a sign that people are waking up.
Would be interested to see some stats on this.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:32 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtAJC View Post
Why must Democrats rewrite history?? Bush spent like a drunk Democrat...that is why most of us couldn't stand him in his second term. BUT...the reality is the Dems were as responsible if not more so than any Republican. The mortgage/housing meltdown which caused our economy to collapse was the work of the Democrats led by Bawney Frank and Christopher Dodd (both Dems) on the Banking Committee. These two buffoons were warned as early as 2005 that the forcing of Fannie and Freddie to purchase a required percentage of minority owned mortgages pushed them to put pressure on banks to make horrible loans. People who could NEVER afford a mortgage were given one. Now some of this was unscrupulous banks and mortgage companies but PLEASE, you know if you make $42,0000 a year you should not be looking at $500,000 homes. Yes, your payments in the first three years may have been at 2% but unfortunately, the people who were getting these loans were such POORLY qualified applicants, that the rate escalated after that to justify the risk the banks were taking. The Dems were told to stop forcing these bad loans (I know the banks willingly made these loans but they were mandated to do so). People were getting mortgages who you and I would not lend 25 cents to for a piece of bubble gum....surprise, surprise when the house of cards literally came crashing down. Barney Frank should be in jail. He gave a DIRECT quote in 2005 that Fannie and Freddie were in "GOOD" shape and that even if they weren't we would not have to "BAIL" them out!!!! Talk about chicken's coming home to roost. This boob was WRONG on both accounts and had a VERY big part in this economic meltdown. Now he says people misunderstood him and the Xanax taking American nod their heads and believe whatever ANY politician tells them!!! I'd love a million dollar home unfortunately I cannot afford it and was taught that you must live within your means....oh, by the way...talk about criminal associations.....i guess Chris Dodd's associations and mortgages with Countrywide, one of the biggest benefactors of these HORRIBLE mortgages, was never investigated by anyone!!???

Great Post. These bad loans MANDATED by the fair housing act caused the financial meltdown. Who started this? Carter. Who continued with it? Every president since Carter. Bush in 2006 was the only president who tried to stop it, but was defeated in Congress.

The funnies thing is that two people most respobsible (Chris Dodd and Barney Frank- Senate and House Banking Committee chairs during the majority of this time), as they presideded over and promoted this through several administrations now blame the meltdown soley on Bush and claim they have a solution! This is like starting a fire and claiming to be a hero for putting it out. Unbelieveable.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:33 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,843,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
I'm a conservative and I don't hate Obama I just don't think he is doing what is best for the country. Now if you want to call my opposition to some of his plans hate go ahead but it is completely dumb of anyone to want the country to fail because if it does we ALL fail right with it.
They think that by throwing around the word hate, it will somehow marginalize the people who disagree with Obama's radical agenda or that it will make us second guess our convictions.
Why not! They've got nothing to lose, except maybe popular support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies