Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 11:17 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,533,798 times

Advertisements

The Cash for Clunkers program was designed as a rebate for turning in cars and purchasing a new one. Essentially, it returned taxpayer money to the taxpayers as an incentive. By Wednesday, 22,782 vehicles had been purchased and $96 million had been spent, and the program was out of money in days. Meanwhile, the spending from the stimulus package is slowly making its way throuugh the red tape and the vast majority of it has not been spent and will not be spent until 2010 and 2011.

Some car dealerships are now in a position of not knowing whether or not deals they made will be reimbursed. Some have stated that they have huge sums of money now at risk and have stopped with the program. Should they not get full reimbursement, they have lost money and now have the trade-ins that are wothless because they had to be destroyed. Congress must vote to see if they can get enough money to reimburse these dealers because they had not planned for this and there was no effective way of tracking the money and letting dealers know if the money was still there for the program.

Does this offer support for the position that the best way to stimulate the economy would be to give the money back to the taxpayers versus running it through the government process?

Does it demonstrate that the government's ability to run programs effectively is poor and that there are unintended consequences?

Discuss...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 11:21 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,247,424 times
My understanding is that Cash for Clunkers received another $2 Billion in funding...

Do you have a link to your stories about mass-hysteria among auto dealers who fear they won't get their money now??

Old 08-03-2009, 11:27 AM

13,608 posts, read 20,656,973 times
Does Cash For Clunkers Offer Support for Conservative Viewpoints?

No, because a liberal Democrat came up with it- or copped it from Germany.

Had a Republican done the same, it would be the Democrats complaining about it.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:28 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,247,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Does Cash For Clunkers Offer Support for Conservative Viewpoints?

No, because a liberal Democrat came up with it- or copped it from Germany.

Had a Republican done the same, it would be the Democrats complaining about it.
<Applauds> ... Pretty much.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:30 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,768,603 times
Quote:
Essentially, it returned taxpayer money to the taxpayers as an incentive.
Not quite. It gave money to citizens who might not have been able to afford a new car - the money comes from me and you and those who are taxpayers.

Another wealth redistribution.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:34 AM

23,154 posts, read 26,038,809 times
No.
It MIGHT have come closer had there been a requirement to "buy American"

Old 08-03-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
My understanding is that Cash for Clunkers received another $2 Billion in funding...

Do you have a link to your stories about mass-hysteria among auto dealers who fear they won't get their money now??
Do you have a quote from my post about mass-hysteria? These links and quotes support the statements I actually made.

washingtonpost.com
"The program's official Web site buckled under a flood of requests to process transactions, leaving dealerships uncertain about whether the sales qualified. And some car sellers say they are out as much as $1 million because the government has been slow to process reimbursements."

"Congressional leaders from Michigan on Friday questioned officials from the Transportation Department about how the program is administered, whether dealers are reimbursed in a timely fashion, and on technical glitches that have made it difficult to determine how many exchanges have taken place and how much money has been paid out. "

"He has taken in 260 clunkers but has yet to receive the roughly $1 million he says the government owes him. His staff recently spent eight hours on the government's Web site trying to process one claim. "

U.S. Car Dealers Concerned ‘Clunkers’ Money Already Running Out - Bloomberg.com

"The trade group for U.S. auto dealers is concerned that the government’s $1 billion program to get older, less fuel-efficient vehicles off the road will run out of money before the retailers can get reimbursements.

“It’s a real concern,” John McEleney, chairman of the National Automobile Dealers Association in Washington and the operator of General Motors Co., Toyota Motor Corp. and Hyundai Motor Co. outlets in Iowa, said yesterday. “It’s obviously not going to last through the end of October and it may not last another week.” "

"NADA has expressed its concerns to the Transportation Department about diminishing funds, primarily because dealers are required to destroy the “clunkers” before they can apply for the government reimbursement. They must put sodium silicate in the engine and run it, which ruins it beyond repair. If the money runs out and the car is already destroyed, the car dealer would be stuck with a ruined car and no reimbursement."

Old 08-03-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Not quite. It gave money to citizens who might not have been able to afford a new car - the money comes from me and you and those who are taxpayers.

I don't disagree with you on this point. My point was about the broader question of tax cuts versus the government's shovel ready projects for a quick stimulus.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:04 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,029,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post

EXACTLY, And when these people default on their car payments it will demonstrate that liberal, wealth distribution policies fail. Just like the housing bubble on a smaller scale.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:05 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,178,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post

I don't have any links but I have seen New car dealers here on the news saying they are worried if they will be paid or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies