Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 08:10 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,700,214 times

Advertisements

I have a nice house in a good neighborhood. I have two great cars. I have food in the cupboards, refrigerator and freezers.

If the above is so true, what am I so unsatisifed? I want more! I want a bigger house with a private bathroom for my wife and I. My cars are fine, paid off and in great condition, but I'd love a new truck! I would love to have my very own truck. And food, we have so much food, yet there is never anything to eat so I head out the door to pick up food at a local restaurant.

While the above is true about me, why is this so prevalent in the American society today? Why are we so obsessed with bigger is better. Give me more stuff! I blame it on effective marketing and advertising. You'll note in another thread that I am in the marketing field.

I blame it on living in suburbia and having all the conveniences at our fingertips. When I was away from the city for a few days I didn't think about all the "stuff" I wanted (not needed). No billboards screaming at me to buy this product or watching tv and being with restaurant ads, new toys for me.

I'm tired of wanting and buying things. It's exhausting! No really, have you ever felt mentally exhausted when you don't have what you think you should have?

Have you ever felt this way before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 08:32 PM

68,284 posts, read 54,079,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
I'm tired of wanting and buying things. It's exhausting! No really, have you ever felt mentally exhausted when you don't have what you think you should have?

Sometimes one of life's little ironies gets it right and for someone in marketing to say the above........................................

I'm editing to add: Haven't had a great craving for shiny new stuff in a long time because all it really is is stuff

Old 04-23-2007, 08:36 PM

56 posts, read 161,128 times
Default Clinton quote

In answer to your post, I think Bill Clinton said it best "********* Jack (or Hoosier_guy in your case) , I got mine"
So whenever you feel exhausted as you say you do - just take the opportunity to look down on others who have (much) less then you and pass them the Clinton quote. Maybe then you'll feel better about yourself - or maybe you'll just feel superior.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:37 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,186,383 times
I have a 12 year old home I built myself, a 17 year old truck, an 8 year old Honda Civic, we live pay check to pay check, and I want to downscale! Sounds crazy? But I'm not into material things and I thank God daily for the riches of His grace He has freely given me.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:37 PM

23,000 posts, read 34,288,819 times
There was a time I wanted more stuff. When I first got married we bought a bigger better house and it was fun fixing it up and decorating it, it was my first home. But now it's become a burden. It's too big for two people, too much to dust and clean so now I want less, smaller house with less stuff in the country. I don't want things the way I used to, I'm learning to appreciate the "little" things in life. I don't want a bunch of "stuff". Anyone looking to material things for happiness is going to be disappointed.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:40 PM

23,000 posts, read 34,288,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
I have a 12 year old home I built myself, a 17 year old truck, an 8 year old Honda Civic, we live pay check to pay check, and I want to downscale! Sounds crazy? But I'm not into material things and I thank God daily for the riches of His grace He has freely given me.
No it doesn't sound crazy to me! God has bless me well above anything I could ever have hoped for.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:41 PM

212 posts, read 857,096 times
maybe materialism, resulting from not getting enough of the "important things in life"...the best things in life are free right? and add in some selfish human nature, lack of appreciation for what you do have, and maybe never experiencing scarcity first hand....and the list goes on.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:47 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,130,950 times
I know what you mean it's exhausting to not have everything you think you need. It's so much more peaceful to just be happy and satisfied. No worrying about money or having not tried this restaurant or that or having that new spring wardrobe or what would make your life easier.
I think it all comes down to inner peace. Having your priorities straight and knowing what's really important in life. Look at many people in Africa or in the Philippines, they have so little compared to us and yet they are so much happier than many Americans.
I do think a lot of it is that we live in a world where we are constantly bombarded with "buy this and that and you'll be happy". Media seems to equate having "stuff" with being happy. Those stupid diamond commercials nauseate me; as if a rock is a symbol of love and will make you happy. And that's all it is is "stuff". You can't take it with you!
In the words of Sheryl Crow "it's not having what you want it's wanting what you have" (those might not be the exact words
It's a very wise man that has everything he needs and wants for nothing.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:50 PM

14,496 posts, read 26,526,859 times
Thumbs down thats capitalism at its best

Quote:
I have a nice house in a good neighborhood. I have two great cars. I have food in the cupboards, refrigerator and freezers.

If the above is so true, what am I so unsatisifed? I want more! I want a bigger house with a private bathroom for my wife and I. My cars are fine, paid off and in great condition, but I'd love a new truck! I would love to have my very own truck. And food, we have so much food, yet there is never anything to eat so I head out the door to pick up food at a local restaurant.

While the above is true about me, why is this so prevalent in the American society today? Why are we so obsessed with bigger is better. Give me more stuff! I blame it on effective marketing and advertising. You'll note in another thread that I am in the marketing field.

I blame it on living in suburbia and having all the conveniences at our fingertips. When I was away from the city for a few days I didn't think about all the "stuff" I wanted (not needed). No billboards screaming at me to buy this product or watching tv and being with restaurant ads, new toys for me.

No ;

actually after a certain age and some education some people realize things will not make you feel better. American culture is sadly lacking today.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:51 PM

68,284 posts, read 54,079,395 times
Quote:

It dawns on me that your version may be cleaned up and sanitized but Mic k Jagger said the same thing over 40 years ago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies