Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 03:48 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,681,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicWings View Post
John Wilkes Booth was a Democrat.
I'm sure you are aware that the Republican party was founded as the liberal/progressive party to challenge slavery and the Democratic party was the conservative party at the time of John Wilkes Booth's life.

It was not until the 20th century that they switched roles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 03:48 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,467,279 times
Quote:
Originally posted by LogicWings
John Wilkes Booth was a Democrat

Who cares??? That was 144 years ago!

Old 08-04-2009, 03:52 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,159,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicWings View Post
No one on the right wants to destroy the Republic. We want to save it.
Wasn't that the mentality of Aryan Nations in Idaho?

Old 08-04-2009, 03:56 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,681,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
What a bunch of lies...........
Thank you for your well reasoned, rational response. Let's analyze your charge.

Quote:
Even though all economic indicators suggest that things beginning to improve,

Absolutely true. Whether it lasts or not is anyone's guess, but as of right now the Dow is on a consistent upward climb, house sales are up significantly, retail is up, car sales are up (Ford posted first positive sales)...

Quote:
the right wing media seems to be ratcheting up the propagana and lies about Obama's policies (for example, completely misinterpreting a small section of the bill as "death care").

Absolutely true. There is a well-orchestrated campaign to make people fear health care reform that is based on lies (like "kill granny", which if you read the legislation is not at all what it is calling for and is completely voluntary).

Quote:
Followers are crashing town hall meetings and basically getting whipped into a frenzy like they were during the campaign when they were yelling things like "terrorist" and "kill him" at rallies before the McCain campaign stepped back on the rhetoric that was whipping people into such a frenzy.

Absolutely true. Just heard an NPR story on how it is a coordinated campaign by the same group that organized the tea parties with the only goal being to disrupt the order of the town hall meetings, not engage in a policy debate. A memo issued by the organizer stated precisely that.

As for the rally comment, I heard with my own ears those statements. Some might charge they were plants, but that has never been verified. So, as it stands, people at Palin and McCain rallies were calling Obama a terrorist and one called out to kill him. True.

Quote:
One heavily armed woman scouted out a military base to plan a terrorist attack against it because Glenn Beck convinced her it was a FEMA camp.

Absolutely true. Just happened this week.

Quote:
I realize Clinton faced the same irrational fear before going down as one of the most successful presidents, but I'm increasingly concerned Obama won't survive long enough to reach that point.

Professional historians have ranked Clinton 15th overall amongst presidents, so that statement is true as well.

In conclusion, my statement was not "a bunch of lies". I await your apology

Old 08-04-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LogicWings
No one on the right wants to destroy the Republic. We want to save it

Actually, armed rebellion would destroy the Republic according to Glenn Beck. He might be too liberal for you, but here's the clip.

Beck implores viewers to not turn violent: "Just one lunatic like Timothy McVeigh could ruin everything" | Media Matters for America

Old 08-04-2009, 04:02 PM

539 posts, read 699,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Okay, so I've perused this thread since getting home from work, and I think I can categorize the responses to bluefly.

1. Conservatives who pooh pooh the whole thing and think he's being "rediculous" and "fearmongering"

2. Racists who probably wouldn't mind seeing him killed

3. Conservatives who think it's okay based on what the left did to Bush.

3. Conservatives who can't stand Obama yet don't want him dead.

Bluefly asks a rational question and he gets attacked by all these people. I think he has a point. I'm really worried about his safety. Hell, Glenn Beck had to tell his followers not to get violent! Do you think he just said that for fun, or was there a reason?

How can you not be worried when the leaders of the right are either de-humanizing him, or not shutting up those who are?

Oh, and for those who think Bluefly's being rediculous, what do you think about this article from the UK telegraph?

Barack Obama faces 30 death threats a day, stretching US Secret Service - Telegraph
Racists.....do you mean Professor Gates? Or do you mean the racist preacher Wright.

Maybe you mean this racist group:

Why does Fard Mohammad and any Moslem murder the devil? What is the duty of each Moslem in regard to four devils? What reward does a Moslem receive by presenting the four devils at one time? -- Because he is one hundred percent wicked and will not keep and obey the laws of Islam. His ways and actions are like a snake of the grafted type. So Mohammad learned that he could not reform the devils, so they had to be murdered. All Moslems will murder the devil because they know he is a snake and also if he be allowed to live, he would sting someone else. Each Moslem is required to bring four devils, and by bringing and presenting four at one time his reward is a button to wear on the laple of his coat, also a free transportation to the Holy City of Mecca.

—Master Fard Mohammad (Nation of Islam)

Perhaps Imade a mistake and you really meant these racists:
New Black Panther Party

United Nuwaubian Nation of Moors

Black Hebrew Israelites

Nation of Yahweh

Old 08-04-2009, 04:08 PM

No, I meant racists like the people I mentioned in my previous post. The ones who float over here from stormfront from time to time

So you think that just because I'm "liberal" that I'm going to automatically defend the nation of Islam and Jeremiah Wright? (Never heard of the rest of 'em) But it's a nice way to dodge my point. How about you try and prove me wrong instead of this tit-for-tat stuff?

Old 08-04-2009, 04:10 PM

539 posts, read 699,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I'm sure you are aware that the Republican party was founded as the liberal/progressive party to challenge slavery and the Democratic party was the conservative party at the time of John Wilkes Booth's life.

It was not until the 20th century that they switched roles.
Are you saying there were no Liberal or Centrist Democrats in the Antebellum era?

Lincoln did not give a hoot if the slaves were freed or not..it is well documented.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:19 PM

500 posts, read 908,659 times
The right wing is nothing but racists and jesus freaks, evangelicals who are awaiting end times. Those two groups are the biggest threat to American safety.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:24 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,442,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Even though all economic indicators suggest that things beginning to improve, the right wing media seems to be ratcheting up the propagana and lies about Obama's policies (for example, completely misinterpreting a small section of the bill as "death care").

Followers are crashing town hall meetings and basically getting whipped into a frenzy like they were during the campaign when they were yelling things like "terrorist" and "kill him" at rallies before the McCain campaign stepped back on the rhetoric that was whipping people into such a frenzy.

One heavily armed woman scouted out a military base to plan a terrorist attack against it because Glenn Beck convinced her it was a FEMA camp.

I realize Clinton faced the same irrational fear before going down as one of the most successful presidents, but I'm increasingly concerned Obama won't survive long enough to reach that point.
Yes, I am very concerned. Look at the lynch mob mentality online. While most of these people are harmless cowards behind a keyboard it only takes one loon with easy access to a gun to complete what they day dream about all day on the internets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies