Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 07:35 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterK View Post
So would you suggest we get our information from a more reliable source...say, the President? Cause he never lies.
Breitbart.tv » Uncovered Video: Obama Explains How His Health Care Plan Will ‘Eliminate’ Private Insurance
You notice how cleverly each line is clipped from speech to speech?

The only way to confirm that now is to check each speech in it's entirety. Classic deceptive move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 07:37 AM

769 posts, read 887,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
, ignoring propaganda.

I realize a lot of conservatives spit out whatever they hear, but liberals are guilty of the same crimes. What I think we should do, everyone has to watch the news channel of their opposing viewpoints. This way they can see things from anothers shoes, and scrap what they believe is crap and come up with their own ideas. When people only watch their own partisan news channels the media bridges gaps for them and independent thought is lost.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:38 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post

The only way to confirm that now is to check each speech in it's entirety. Classic deceptive move.
Yeah I was going to say - people should post transcripts or full videos so stuff is in context....when people post edited youtube propaganda videos as fact, I dont know how they can do that.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:39 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,050,636 times
Quote:
I realize a lot of conservatives spit out whatever they hear, but liberals are guilty of the same crimes. What I think we should do, everyone has to watch the news channel of their opposing viewpoints. This way they can see things from anothers shoes, and scrap what they believe is crap and come up with their own ideas. When people only watch their own partisan news channels the media bridges gaps for them and independent thought is lost.
But the News channels are all garbage. It is sensationalist, divisive reporting to gain ratings. Fox , msnbc,cnn, they are all the TMZ of politics.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:44 AM

Quote:

I realized selective quoting can misguide. I think the point is, Obama is very progessive minded, this was known before he was President or even a candidate. From his studies in college it is clear he is in support of a system of government far different than ours. Does that mean he would make a bad President, not at all. Presidents are in place to be a leader and do the will of the people, not their own agendas. So when he started talking government healthcare, it is a legitimate concern that he would push for a single payer government system. Whether we get that or not, it will be a while before we know, as it wouldn't be an immediate thing.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:45 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,908,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Been there, done that for 8 years with G. W. Bush who shoved a war down my throat and it disgusted me.

What did I do? I waited and when the chance came, I voted for change. I certainly did not make up lies and plaster them on message boards.
how are you with the new war? i hope everyone looks at these pictures and thinks about our soldiers today:
An Artery of Opium a Vein of Taliban

Old 08-04-2009, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Yeah I was going to say - people should post transcripts or full videos so stuff is in context....when people post edited youtube propaganda videos as fact, I dont know how they can do that.

Like when MSNBC cropped McCain saying that it was not important that we bring the troops home from Iraq, and it wasn't even youtube!

Old 08-04-2009, 07:47 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
how are you with the new war? i hope everyone looks at these pictures and thinks about our soldiers today:
An Artery of Opium a Vein of Taliban
I have said this since 9/11.

Afghanistan is where we should be fighting the war on terror, not Iraq.

I was not against a war from the beginning, I was against that war being in IRAQ rather than where we could fight the people who attacked us 8 years ago.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:51 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times
Quote:
i'm of the opinion that people should skip the tv news altogether, especially the news channels. it's a mess, the stories are super abbreviated, everyone involved comes off like idiots.

that orly taitz interview is the first time i've seen something from a news channel for a while - it was just terrible. the interviewers looked like bullies, were not listening to her, were talking over her and basically acting like schoolchildren ganging up on someone. that is not news, that is not an interview. that is just bludgeoning someone over the head with your ideology.

they need to let HER bludgeonininess shine through, let her say her piece and then counter her civilly. she is a nutjob and i could hear her *trying* to spout the same old discredited theories the birthers use, which could have been easily refuted. but the way they treated her actually made me feel sorry for her. if i was sympathetic to her, i'm sure i would have seen that interview as reinforcing my belief that the media just wants to squash opposition to the president.

that being said, i do read news from newspapers and other news sources on the internet, and i do read things with opposing viewpoints. know thine enemy and all that! it's annoying when people are woefully misinformed about the other side's views, and i try not to be that way myself. it's good to know where people are coming from. outside of real wackos and internet trolls, i can usually get why people feel the way they do. most people are pretty reasonable and just have different views on how the world works and/or how it should work. and most people have the best interests of the world or at least the country in mind.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:54 AM

1,515 posts, read 3,331,257 times
Quote:
Yes, I would be angry.

No, I wouldn't be posting fake conspiracy theories about his eligibility for President.

No, I wouldn't be posting fake stories like "McCain wants to kill GRANDMA".
Really because for eight years all I heard was Bush rigged two elections.

And for 7 years I heard that "Bush did WTC."

Yes, Liberals are far more even tempered and rational than Conservatives...

Honestly, Liberalism all about emotion, there is nothing cognitive about Liberalism, because Liberalism destroys wealth, freedom, and values that it doesn't like. Conservatives doesn't need a massive amount of Cognitive Dissonance in order to justify their beliefs.

We know what we believe, why we believe it, and we have the facts on our side.

I was at CPAC last year and had the pleasure of hearing Rick Santorum give an excellent speech, and in it he said (roughly):

"If you go to the Senate and they are having a debate about poverty, Conservatives will have charts, and graphs, and statistics outlining their positions. Liberals will have a picture of a man sleeping on a sewer grate."

The point is that Liberalism is purely about emotion, and not facts. If it was, there would be no Liberals in the world, because the facts reside with the Conservatives... "what feels good at this moment" resides with the Liberals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies