Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2009, 09:00 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,804,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
I think the better decision is for you to be healed, and 5 others have less quality health care.

Either that or kill off about a dozen 70 year olds who saved and scrimped to have a prosperous retirement. That should free up enough resources for a young guy like yourself and his needs to be met.

That is the way you see it! This "choose between" scenario is totally in your mind. In other words, you are making things up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 09:02 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,911,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Well, in all fairness to the insurance companies they DO have a valid reason for the "pre-existing" condition clause. Their logic is that without such a clause too many folks will simply choose to not purchase insurance until they have a major medical problem - then run out and buy insurance expecting the insurance company to pay for their pre-existing condition care. This is rather like folks not buying auto insurance UNTIL AFTER they have accident - then buying the insurance and expecting the auto insurance company to pay for their repairs. This is why the health insurance companies are willing to participate in reform but are demanding that if they drop the "pre-existing" exclusion clause, that everyone be REQUIRED to have health insurance.

From their point of view, I understand that.
It's a complicated problem - and BOTH sides have valid points.

Ken
Again, another VERY reasonable post. Thanks Ken.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
I think the better decision is for you to be healed, and 5 others have less quality health care.

Either that or kill off about a dozen 70 year olds who saved and scrimped to have a prosperous retirement. That should free up enough resources for a young guy like yourself and his needs to be met.
If he would not be healed, he would die of the melanoma! Are you dictating who lives and who dies?

Old 08-08-2009, 09:05 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,911,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
True. I suppose ideally health insurance should be mandatory all of ones life. That way, the premiums of the healthy are paying for the medical bills of the sick. And the premiums should be on a sliding scale of some sort. Those on unemployment and welfare have to pay at least something towards their health insurance benefits. Perhaps a discount for those who do live a healthier lifestyle of not smoking cigarettes, having a healthier BMI and documented regular exercise habits.

And those that refuse to pay health insurance should just be out of luck if they get sick.

A single health insurance provider might be better and fairer in terms of covering both the healthy and unhealthy people. Or run the numbers and require all health insurance companies to have a certain percentage of their policies be to sick people or those with high risk factors.

If not enough healthy people are paying into the system, then of course, the insurance companies don't want to be stuck with covering the sick patients with preexisting conditions.

And most importantly, we do need to address getting the high cost of the medical bills down. I remember reading about slightly premature twins being born and costing almost $200k in medical bills. And that's outrageous imo.

Do away with malpractice law and instead have a medical review system without getting lawyers involved. There is a lot of fat in the health care system. There was an article on CNN news a while back where someone that wasn't coverage by health insurance negotiated his operation down by half by paying for the procedure himself and negotiating an amount that he could afford to pay.
I'm seeing a lot of great suggestions on this thread from both sides. The bottom line is I think we all care about our fellow Americans, both left and right.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
This really scares me b/c my daughter had melanoma and goes off our insurance on Friday. I guess we will do COBRA for her, but we have checked into that and it will be $500/mo. She is a healthy 22 yr old, except for her history.
If something does not change without healthcare system, she will have a difficult time finding insurance once the COBRA time expires! The people opposed to this change are literally dictating who can get life saving medical care and who cannot!

I have personally seen people with fatal recurrences of cancer because they did not continue with their course of treatment or checkups due to insurance problems.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:32 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,844,138 times
I always think of that American Express add when i think of pre conditions under a UHC........

" Pre Condition Sir.....No Problem"

Old 08-08-2009, 10:32 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,944,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
what do you think will happen with government run health care?
You don't seem to understand the difference for profit and government enterprises. The government does not raise its rates because there is no competition. Actually, with the public option plan the private industries will have to compete with the government. That is better than what we have now.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:37 AM

30,059 posts, read 18,655,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
IMO karma has already caught up to a degree-the action in itself is the punishment. Nobody this hateful and mean can be happy.
I agree. I do not understand how anyone can feel as though acquiring an illness is "karma". That is pretty cold. There are alot of people I don't agree with, but I would never wish them the misery of a severe illness.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:43 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,944,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Again, another VERY reasonable post. Thanks Ken.
Agreed, which is why we need a public option and then require everyone to either take the public option or have private insurance. Problem solved.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:48 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,249,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Agreed, which is why we need a public option and then require everyone to either take the public option or have private insurance. Problem solved.
Americans should not be FORCED to purchase health insurance.

We believe in FREEDOM -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies