Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2009, 11:14 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
One of the rare times we can be GRATEFUL for government incompetence.

Don't worry, they'll get it together soon.

"Community organization" at its best!
You seem to be HOPING for more violence. Surely you aren't? Surely you would like town hall meetings to be peaceable forums for discussions about potential laws and policies coming from the government. Surely you would like our elected representatives to have the opportunity to hear directly from their constituents on these issues, and for those representatives to have the opportunity to respond to their constituents' concerns.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 11:16 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,779,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Why does this have to be so divisive? Why can't people talk about important issues like health care?
Conservatives have been wondering that ever since their Congressmen started reciting the same talking points over and over, telling flat lies about the Health Care plan and changing the subject whenever anyone tried to ask them awkward questions.

Why ARE these citizens shouting down the Congressmen?

The answer is simple: They don't want the Congressmen filling the time of the meetings with lies.

It's easy to find TV and radio shows that have both conservative and leftist guests, where the guests get asked questions about political matters. And in nearly every one, when the leftist gets asked about an indefensible agenda such as govt-run Health care or Social Security etc., the leftist either changes the subject or starts telling bald lies ("you won't lose your present health care", "you can always purchase your own private health care under the House plan", etc.).... and then keeps talking in that vein, running out the clock and preventing any debunking or actual discussion.

People watching those shows are inevitably frustrated (except for viewers who rotely believe and see nothing to question), but can do nothing about it. And they watch opportunity after opportunity to slide past, with no progress toward a solution that will work.

Finally, come the Town Hall meetings where they themselves can participate... and where an actual lawmaker will be present. Great so far... but when the meeting starts, they hear the same bald lies start up. And when they try to question them, the questions are ignored, subject changed, and the lies resume.

But now, unlike a TV show they can only watch silently, they can do something about it. They can't make the congressman tell the truth. But they can at least let him know what they think of statements like "Govt health care will cover 40 million more patients but cost less with no reduction in quality".

They can't make him discuss the absurdity of such statements, or even get him to acknowledge that questions have been asked. But they can at least stop the flow of lies, finally... and they do exactly that.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:17 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,779,270 times
Quote:
You seem to be HOPING for more violence.
You can always tell when a leftist can't answer the points made. He changes the subject and starts telling lies about his opponent.

(yawn)

Old 08-07-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Conservatives have been wondering that ever since their Congressmen started reciting the same talking points over and over, telling flat lies about the Health Care plan and changing the subject whenever anyone tried to ask them awkward questions.

The answer is simple: They don't want the Congressmen filling the time of the meetings with lies.

It's easy to find TV and radio shows that have both conservative and leftist guests, where the guests get asked questions about political matters. And in nearly every one, when the leftist gets asked about an indefensible agenda such as govt-run Health care or Social Security etc., the leftist either changes the subject or starts telling bald lies ("you won't lose your present health care", "you can always purchase your own private health care under the House plan", etc.).... and then keeps talking in that vein, running out the clock and preventing any debunking or actual discussion.

People watching those shows are inevitably frustrated (except for viewers who rotely believe and see nothing to question), but can do nothing about it. And they watch opportunity after opportunity to slide past, with no progress toward a solution that will work.

Finally, come the Town Hall meetings where they themselves can participate... and where an actual lawmaker will be present. Great so far... but when the meeting starts, they hear the same bald lies start up. And when they try to question them, the questions are ignored, subject changed, and the lies resume.

But now, unlike a TV show they can only watch silently, they can do something about it. They can't make the congressman tell the truth. But they can at least let him know what they think of statements like "Govt health care will cover 40 million more patients but cost less with no reduction in quality".

They can't make him discuss the absurdity of such statements, or even get him to acknowledge that questions have been asked. But they can at least stop the flow of lies, finally... and they do exactly that.

Hope this helps.
No it doesn't help. You claim they deliberately disrupt the meeting to stop the Congressman from lying. Is that because they are prophetic, they can see into the future, so they perceive they have an obligation to stop the Congressman from speaking? Why?

Why?

I've asked you this before, and you never answered. Why do they have to stop the Congressman from lying? If they think the Congressman is going to waste their time by lying, why don't they spend their time elsewhere, like at a rally, spreading the truth? If they think the Congressman is going to waste my time by lying, don't you think I should have some input into whether I think it's a waste of time? Maybe I would rather waste my time hearing his lies, than waste my time hearing people chant, "liar, liar, liar..." At least then I would have the chance to know what his lies are, a chance to do my own research and make up my own mind. Is there something wrong with other people making up their own minds?

Old 08-07-2009, 11:23 AM

5,475 posts, read 12,240,734 times
Quote:

Hope this helps.
Thanks LA

Well put.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:24 AM

5,475 posts, read 12,240,734 times
Quote:
No it doesn't help. You claim they deliberately disrupt the meeting to stop the Congressman from lying. Is that because they are prophetic, they can see into the future, so they perceive they have an obligation to stop the Congressman from speaking? Why?

Why?

I've asked you this before, and you never answered. Why do they have to stop the Congressman from lying? If they think the Congressman is going to waste their time by lying, why don't they spend their time elsewhere, like at a rally, spreading the truth? If they think the Congressman is going to waste my time by lying, don't you think I should have some input into whether I think it's a waste of time? Maybe I would rather waste my time hearing his lies, than waste my time hearing people chant, "liar, liar, liar..." At least then I would have the chance to know what his lies are, a chance to do my own research and make up my own mind. Is there something wrong with other people making up their own minds?
So what? Now we can only attend town hall meetings if we agree with Congressmen and trust their words? Who wrote those rules?

Old 08-07-2009, 11:25 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Here's a video of the some of the violence at the St Louis town meeting.

Really, the violence doesn't seem to be organized.

Video: Footage of violence and arrests after Rep. Russ Carnahan town hall discussing health care (http://www.examiner.com/x-5738-St-Louis-Political-Buzz-Examiner~y2009m8d7-Video--Footage-of-violence-after-Rep-Russ-Carnahan-RMO-town-hall - broken link)

From what I could see they were all wearing the same union's tee shirts and engaging in violence. In my book that is organized violence.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
So what? Now we can only attend town hall meetings if we agree with Congressmen and trust their words? Who wrote those rules?
No, where did I say that?

I think that we should totally be suspicious of our Congressmen and of all our elected officials. We should question everything. And town hall meetings are the perfect venue for asking questions, and then going home and trying to verify those answers. I just don't appreciate it when town hall meetings are subverted, and some of us who vote, some of us who have questions, don't get to voice our questions because another group of people think that only their concerns matter, only their questions should be heard, and that it is somehow justified to drown out the answers with their shouts.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
From what I could see they were all wearing the same union's tee shirts and engaging in violence. In my book that is organized violence.
Wow, we really do see things differently. I saw a man in a white shirt shouting and inciting some violence. He was later leaning against the police car being questioned. I don't know if he was one of those arrested or not. I saw a woman (? it looked like a woman to me, but the picture was dark and not very clear) in a gray shirt being handcuffed. At one point there is a man on the ground, and he's wearing the union T-shirt. So I don't know, I guess we all see things differently based on our perspectives, even when it's through the eye of a camera lens.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:36 AM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
If those "citizens" were minorities
I bet $1 million that Foxnews wouldn't call them "citizens"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies