Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2009, 01:54 AM

4,657 posts, read 8,681,221 times

Advertisements

I saw a clip of one of the health care town hall meetings from Wisconsin and a really old gentleman, got up and shouted, "read the bill, you work got us, not the other way around." and a large portion of the audience, most, if not all appeared to be well over 60 started chanting in unison, "read the bill."

My questions are three fold:

1. It appears that the left is trying to demonize those of us that are very concerned about Obama trying to socialize healthcare, by calling us "lunatics", "extremists", and paid actors; what's extreme about wanting our elected officials to read a bill that will radically change this country forever, before the vote on it?

2. Do you not want your elected officials to read the bill? If not why not?

3. These people were quite old, yet many here are saying that they were bused in and are paid actors. Is there any proof of this whatsoever?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 02:01 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,749,554 times
I believe the fact that so many left wing extremist on this site actually seem to believe these are paid actors and not just angry Americans demonstrates just how out of touch most of the left wing lunes actually are.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdevelop2 View Post
I believe the fact that so many left wing extremist on this site actually seem to believe these are paid actors and not just angry Americans demonstrates just how out of touch most of the left wing lunes actually are.
It's direct talking points from The Daily Kook and Media Manipulation Matters; directly. But I'd really like honest answers to my legit questions. I'm really concerned at the lack of critical thinking that is becoming so widespread amongst our populace.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:09 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,562,741 times
There's nothing wrong with being concerned. Being concerned doesn't make you a lunatic. The ones who get labeled lunatics are the ones who go to town hall meetings and scream and shout to the point where no one can be heard and no one is allowed to complete a sentence.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
There's nothing wrong with being concerned. Being concerned doesn't make you a lunatic. The ones who get labeled lunatics are the ones who go to town hall meetings and scream and shout to the point where no one can be heard and no one is allowed to complete a sentence.
I wouldn't call them lunatics, I'd call them rude, but I agree with you nonetheless. What about my specific questions though?

Old 08-05-2009, 02:15 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,562,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
I wouldn't call them lunatics, I'd call them rude, but I agree with you nonetheless. What about my specific questions though?
There's nothing wrong with them wanting their representatives to read the bill.

Of course, I want members of Congress to read the bill.

I have no idea if they're being paid to storm the town hall meetings. I think it would be a good idea for all town hall meetings to require that the attendants be registered to vote in that particular district, or at least have proof that they live in the area.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:20 AM

436 posts, read 950,969 times
Obamination is just as ignorant and sheepish as Bush Inc. supporters were.

It's amazing when the political minority raises concern over the political majority's policies. They're viewed as lunatics and extremists.

Welcome to the propaganda matrix.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:21 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,056,092 times
They are concerned citizens that know our government has quit listening to the people for far too long and they have had enough. Just look at illegal immigration. The majority of everyone in this country is against in poll after poll. Congress and the president are bombarded with calls, emails and faxes and do they listen? NO.

We have seen Democrat members of congress and this president insult and belittle concerned citizens and make comments like people are insane if they expect them to read anything. hussein obama's wrecklessness has woken up the people that have never been active in politics. They have had enough and when hussein obama wants to ram another bill down our throats without even reading it when it concerns our very health, enough is enough!

It is our Democrat congress that are the lunitics along with their messiah.

Last edited by dcsldcd; 08-05-2009 at 03:08 AM..

Old 08-05-2009, 02:22 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,784,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
^^ Exactly.

And in response to the OP's questions,

1) Is answered perfectly above

2) Who do you think wrote the bill? If they haven't read the whole bill, they've certainly read as much of it as any other bill they've voted on in the past. Chanting "read the bill" to a senator or representative is akin to surrounding a dry cleaners and chanting "do my laundry"...

3) Perhaps people are somewhat skeptical because if they really were "quite old", they certainly wouldn't have any health insurance company covering them.. they would already be on the government plan. Any additional privatization of their health insurance would only hurt them (they aren't in any way, shape or form profitable to insure or treat)... government plans, at least, would leave their care up to the politicians. And old people vote in droves, so they'd continue to get the best healthcare the government can offer... so clearly, those elderly shouting down their representatives in town hall meetings are working against their own self interest. Therein lies the suspicion that someone has put these poor folks up to it...

Old 08-05-2009, 02:29 AM

436 posts, read 950,969 times
As far as reading the bill goes - I can recall a time, shortly after 09/11, when the Congress passed an Act with very little time to read or research it. The ramifications were tremendous, but was swiftly passed through by both sides.

More of the same $hit, just a different, bolder chapter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies