Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 08:03 PM

872 posts, read 1,848,641 times

Advertisements

For those who like the program so much...walk down the street and hand your wallet (or a set amount of cash, say $100) to each of your neighbors. Tell them to go spend YOUR money on THEMSELVES. That is exactly what the government is doing with your money.

Lower taxes absolutely do work. Remember what started the downfall of this economy was over-inflated home prices that jumped up way too fast. That was in large part to the government basically requiring lenders to give loans to people who were not qualified but apparently its everyone's "right" to own a home. As foreclosures quickly ramped up, it began a trickle effect into other areas of the economy and led to a lower consumer confidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 08:28 PM

485 posts, read 1,452,138 times
If your objective is to stimulate the auto industry as Obama's clearly seems to be because of his indebtedness to the unions, then this was a successfull program. If you want attach environmental benefits, I think that it is less clear. Most people who are using a "clunker" as their main means of transportation would have probably traded it in in the near future without incentives OR they are not in a financial position to purchase a new vehicle. Therefore many believe it to be a waste of taxpayer money.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:58 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,221,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Naw. That post merely pointed out that there's not much thought going into these programs that the Government comes up with.
So, unless a government program is applicable to every imaginable scenario, it is a failure and an example of government stupidity?

Both of my cars get 30+ MPG. Thus I am ineligible to receive any direct benefit from this program. I still support the program, however, because it benefits me (and everyone else) indirectly in numerous other ways.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:14 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,862,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
So, unless a government program is applicable to every imaginable scenario, it is a failure and an example of government stupidity?

Both of my cars get 30+ MPG. Thus I am ineligible to receive any direct benefit from this program. I still support the program, however, because it benefits me (and everyone else) indirectly in numerous other ways.
i honestly would like to know how it benefits you.

it is your money shoved into a program, (that voters had no say in) going to the banks so that they can earn more interest. it wasn't limited to american cars, so it helped wall street with foreign car stocks. GM sales went down 18% in july, so how did that help GM and the fact that americans are on the hook for GM's success now?

honestly, where is the benefit to america?

Old 08-06-2009, 08:25 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
honestly, where is the benefit to america?
You can't be serious.

Here is a small sampling of the benefits:

More work for auto workers, auto parts suppliers, and owners/employees of car dealerships.

Better fuel economy.

Decrease in reliance on oil.

Fewer high-pollution vehicles on the road.

Cleaner air.

Lots of newly available scrap metal.

Less money spent filling the tanks of new, more efficient vehicles, compared to older, less efficient vehicles. Thus people have more money, which they can save or spend elsewhere, benefiting the economy even further.

All of these things benefit all of us to varying degrees.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:19 AM

872 posts, read 1,848,641 times
Yeah, its obviously helping with the oil prices...oh no wait, oil is going UP and quickly since this program began.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:25 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,804,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
I'm glad the President is "hurriedly" trying to stimulate the ecomony with a program that's been a proven success. 160,000 cars sold is a success. I guess you'd rather he use the repub slogan of "Just say no" to stimulate the economy.

What I got with Cash for Clunkers - Caroline Radtke: SUV to diesel (1) - CNNMoney.com
How many MORE autos than in a normal July were sold???

Old 08-06-2009, 09:42 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc2005 View Post
Yeah, its obviously helping with the oil prices...oh no wait, oil is going UP and quickly since this program began.
Nobody said anything about gas/oil prices.

People who own fuel efficient vehicles spend less on gasoline per mile driven, than people with less efficient vehicles. This will always be a fact no matter how much a gallon of gas costs, or how much a barrell of oil costs.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:52 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,663,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
Transportation chief: ‘Clunkers’ is huge success - Autos- msnbc.com

"WASHINGTON - Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood proclaimed "cash-for-clunkers" a roaring success Wednesday just as the Senate seems poised to push the popular program back into high gear with another $2 billion in cash.

LaHood said that in just a brief time, "the government has proved we can get money out the door and sell almost 160,000 cars."

LaHood is a Republican and former congressman from Illinois. In an interview on CBS's "The Early Show," he called the car-purchase program "a huge boost for the economy."
Um is it just me or does 160,000 cars probably not equal the billions they spent with money for old cars and we did this all with money we dont even have.
Hmmm must be that government math again.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:54 AM

31,387 posts, read 36,921,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marysally View Post
If your objective is to stimulate the auto industry as Obama's clearly seems to be because of his indebtedness to the unions,
What unions would those be in those state subsidized Honda, Toyota, BMW and Mercedes plants?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies