U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 02:33 PM

10,587 posts, read 3,813,595 times
Default 64 years ago today

64 years ago today, Aug. 5, 1945, the first atomic bomb ever used in anger was dropped on Hiroshima, Japan. Three days later, on August 8, another was dropped on Nagasaki. Approx. 200,000 people were killed as a result of the two bombings.

Less than 2 weeks later, Japan surrendered, ending WWII. As a result, the planned Allied invasion of the Japanese homeland was called off. The half million American deaths that were expected, plus more than a million Japanese deaths, never happened as a result.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 02:38 PM

132 posts, read 94,850 times
A great day for America. Just lettin them ***** out and surrender conditionally would be no fun. You gotta go for the gold.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:48 PM

29,230 posts, read 18,138,683 times
Uh, maybe a dateline thing? The date is usually given as 6 August 1945.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:54 PM

10,587 posts, read 3,813,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Uh, maybe a dateline thing? The date is usually given as 6 August 1945.
Yup. The date was Aug 5, here in the U.S., while it was Aug. 6 over there.

Just like today, right now. 64 years ago today.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:01 PM

4,619 posts, read 2,093,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
64 years ago today, Aug. 5, 1945, the first atomic bomb ever used in anger was dropped on Hiroshima, Japan. Three days later, on August 8, another was dropped on Nagasaki. Approx. 200,000 people were killed as a result of the two bombings.

Less than 2 weeks later, Japan surrendered, ending WWII. As a result, the planned Allied invasion of the Japanese homeland was called off. The half million American deaths that were expected, plus more than a million Japanese deaths, never happened as a result.

This is a great example of moral relativism. Use of the bomb saved millions of lives and made for a much different post-war Japan. A Japan which not only survived the war but became an economic and technological superpower with greater power than its imperial predecessor. A Japan which kept its pride made peace with its former adversary and is one of our best allies.

The destruction of these cities shocked the world into understanding that nuclear weapons are not just bigger bombs but a real threat to all our survival. I think this is part of the fact that in 64 years no other nation has suffered from a nuclear attack. The nuclear bomb put the terror into the balance of terror that really is the most effective peacekeeper.

For all of this, the United States paid the price that nearly half a million Japanese civilians and about 50,000 military personnel were either killed instantly or died from radiation induced illness because of its action. Germany has the Holocaust, Russia its Gulags and we the Americans have Hiroshima and Nagasaki as our special burden to carry as long as history is written.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:09 PM

1,815 posts, read 1,131,695 times
Quote:
Quote:

Man, I wish I had lived and served in those days:

THEN: Harry S. Truman (the only decent democrat) "Don't screw with us, or we'll melt you."

NOW: B. Hussein Obama "Bill, get over there and get a photo op, and play nice with Kim-Jong Il, he's just a misunderstood little puppy dog. I can't imagine him doing anything bad to the good 'ol U.S.!!"

Old 08-05-2009, 09:21 PM

4,608 posts, read 4,971,911 times
My dad spent some time in the south Pacific during that war and I suspect would have been a part of an invasion of Japan. I also suspect had that been the case I wouldn't be posting this entry. It wasn't going to be pretty.

As I understand, the Japanese were given a warning prior to the bombings. Were the Americans given a warning prior to Pearl Harbor?

Considering the treatment of the Japanese after the surrender, did the Japanese offer equal treatment to POW's in Bataan?

Yeah, there's plenty of moral relativity here. It's over. So is slavery. I bear no guilt for either.

God bless the U.S.A. and those who defend the constitution.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:50 PM

4,619 posts, read 2,093,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
My dad spent some time in the south Pacific during that war and I suspect would have been a part of an invasion of Japan. I also suspect had that been the case I wouldn't be posting this entry. It wasn't going to be pretty.

As I understand, the Japanese were given a warning prior to the bombings. Were the Americans given a warning prior to Pearl Harbor?

Considering the treatment of the Japanese after the surrender, did the Japanese offer equal treatment to POW's in Bataan?

Yeah, there's plenty of moral relativity here. It's over. So is slavery. I bear no guilt for either.

God bless the U.S.A. and those who defend the constitution.

There are other opinions. Many of the scientific staff at Los Alamos and Oak Ridge were on record as opposing the use of this weapon on civilians and insisted on a demonstration of the bomb either by conducting a test and inviting Japanese or a third party acceptable to Japan to see it. Another idea was a demonstration of this bomb off the coast of Japan or in Tokyo Bay where the blast and blinding flash would have been easily seen and the heat and force of the blast felt. When the blast effects films were shown at Los Alamos, some of the staff were violently ill and J. Robert Oppenheimer noted "We are all sons of ******* now". Oppenheimer a few years latter opposed building the super or hygrogen bomb and paid the price of having his loyalty questioned and his security clearance revoked. Scientists weren't the only ones with issues about atom bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The head of the US Navy and several other General staff officers resigned because they felt the use of this weapon of mass destruction was a war crime on a par with what had been done by axis forces against civilians and allied forces.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:16 PM

12,195 posts, read 6,237,353 times
Nothing was accomplished by burning two cities off the map that couldn't have been accomplished with a demonstration 15 miles off the coast of Tokyo.

Lost in all the utilitarian arguments over the bombings, by the way, is the fact that the Japanese were already looking for a way to surrender in July, 1945, rendering the bombings war crimes morally comparable to the Holocaust.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:35 PM

1,964 posts, read 1,635,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman84 View Post

Man, I wish I had lived and served in those days:

THEN: Harry S. Truman (the only decent democrat) "Don't screw with us, or we'll melt you."

NOW: B. Hussein Obama "Bill, get over there and get a photo op, and play nice with Kim-Jong Il, he's just a misunderstood little puppy dog. I can't imagine him doing anything bad to the good 'ol U.S.!!"
What an incomprehensibly childish post. Go back to playing in the yard...let the adults talk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies