U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2009, 03:46 PM

2,857 posts, read 5,990,395 times

Advertisements

I hope he gets a big burly roommate to keep him warm at night.

William Jefferson verdict: Guilty on 11 of 16 counts - NOLA.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 04:07 PM

10,582 posts, read 8,284,072 times
Damn, when I heard he had $90,000 in small, unmarked bills hidden in his refrigerator, I was sure he was innocent of any wrongdoing.

I'm shocked, shocked.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:10 PM

2,857 posts, read 5,990,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Damn, when I heard he had $90,000 in small, unmarked bills hidden in his refrigerator, I was sure he was innocent of any wrongdoing.

I'm shocked, shocked.
I have to correct you there. He kept his money in the freezer, not the refrigerator. Everyone knows that money lasts longer in the freezer.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:25 PM

5,915 posts, read 7,257,724 times
Good, we need to vigorously root out corruption.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:28 PM

17,788 posts, read 19,809,651 times
I remember this story but I also remember that the Democrats were very, very angry and created a new law that allowed all senators/representatives to carry out illegal activities within their offices... How? I seem to remember they created a new law that banned ALL police, FBI, CIA, etc from ever trying to search their offices for criminal activities... so nice of them...

Old 08-05-2009, 04:29 PM

14,969 posts, read 14,216,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I remember this story but I also remember that the Democrats were very, very angry and created a new law that allowed all senators/representatives to carry out illegal activities within their offices... How? I seem to remember they created a new law that banned ALL police, FBI, CIA, etc from ever trying to search their offices for criminal activities... so nice of them...
Is this for real?

Old 08-05-2009, 04:33 PM

44 posts, read 47,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
I hope he gets a big burly roommate to keep him warm at night.

William Jefferson verdict: Guilty on 11 of 16 counts - NOLA.com
The Democrat culture of corruption continues unabated.

What can you expect from a group whose primary objective is continuing the butchery of more than 1,000,000 innocent, unborn babies every year.

Abortion is the Democrats' litmus test for all Supreme Court nominees, and their prime directive. Imagine, your most important goal being the murder of helpless babies, up to and including those who could be delivered and survive.

abortionno.org/Resources/pictures_3.html

Old 08-05-2009, 04:39 PM

17,788 posts, read 19,809,651 times
Here is a tidbit...

William J. Jefferson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"On 2006 July 10, Chief Judge Thomas F. Hogan for the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, ruled the FBI raid on Jefferson's office was legal,[35] rejecting the claim, of both Jefferson and the Bipartisan Legal Advisory Group of the United States House of Representatives, that the search violated the Constitution's Speech or Debate Clause, separation of powers principle, and the Fourth Amendment. Chief Judge Hogan, in a 28-page ruling, acknowledged that the "facts and questions of law presented here are indeed unprecedented," but wrote that it is "well-established" that a Congressman is "generally bound to the operation of the criminal laws as are ordinary persons," and the Speech or Debate Clause does not "make Members of Congress super-citizens, immune from criminal responsibility.'"[36] Hogan, in his conclusion, wrote:"

I stand corrected, it was both the Democrats and Republicans in the House that opposed the search... I remember that after Judge Hogan ruled it was a legal search, a lot of democratic lawmakers were screaming that they were going to enact a new law to protect senators/representatives from searches due to criminal activity... I am not sure what happened after that but they sure weren't happy when the Judge ruled that they are liable for crimes even those committed in their offices... However they were in the minority... most of democrats wanted Jefferson out... and Nancy Pelosi did the right thing to keep him shunned (I know, its shocking that Liz did something right)...

HOWEVER...

"Later, however, in that same month, a three-judge appellate panel unanimously overruled Hogan's decision and affirmed that the Department of Justice could not review Jefferson's files until Jefferson had seen what files were taken and which of those pertained to his work as a legislator. The appellate court directed that Hogan, the judge who originally authorized the controversial search and seizure, should ascertain whether Jefferson's claims of legislative privilege extended to specific seized files that the lawmaker might cite.[38] On March 31, 2008, the United States Supreme Court denied further review.[39]"

Old 08-05-2009, 05:44 PM

10,691 posts, read 11,696,938 times
COLD HARD CASH!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies