Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 04:42 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,439,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
One little problem doing what you desire: ITS NOT CHILD ABUSE.

The problem is, you simply do not agree with the way she handles things - and, because she is doing something you do not agree with - you think it is legally wrong.

Well, there ain't no owners manual for raising kids - putting kids on leash's is not illegal - period.

No charges

That child could have been hurt very badly. What if they smashed their head on something? Or got cut with something on the floor? Just because nothing did happen does not mean she did not put her child in danger by doing this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 04:45 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,424,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
That child could have been hurt very badly. What if they smashed their head on something? Or got cut with something on the floor? Just because nothing did happen does not mean she did not put her child in danger by doing this.
But he wasn't. We put our children in danger everyday simply by putting them in a car, by letting them play on playgrounds, by letting them cross the street. That's not a measure of abuse. Life is full of dangers and this particular one doesn't rise to the level of abuse. To claim this is abuse cheapens the concept of abuse and is an insult to those who have truly been abused.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:49 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,252,821 times
Quote:
IT'S NOT CHILD ABUSE.

I'm afraid that you are going to have to accept that people will raise their children differentlly than you might - and you may not agree with those methods - but, it DOES NOT mean it is child abuse.

I use to "drag" my kids around the floor with them holding a rope - they love it. And my Dad did the very same thing to me when I was a kid

Old 08-06-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
But he wasn't. We put our children in danger everyday simply by putting them in a car, by letting them play on playgrounds, by letting them cross the street. That's not a measure of abuse. Life is full of dangers and this particular one doesn't rise to the level of abuse. To claim this is abuse cheapens the concept of abuse and is an insult to those who have truly been abused.

When I put my child in a car they go in a car seat all protective measures taken. When my child plays on the playground I am constantly supervising them and telling them no to things that can hurt them, all protect measures taken, when my child crosses the street they hold my hand, all protective measures taken. This woman DID NOT TAKE ANY PROTECTIVE MEASURE. She could have carried the child, put them in a stroller, put them in a cart she did nothing to protect her child from harm.

If she treats this child like this in public I can only imagine how she treats him in private.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
IT'S NOT CHILD ABUSE.

I'm afraid that you are going to have to accept that people will raise their children differentlly than you might - and you may not agree with those methods - but, it DOES NOT mean it is child abuse.

I use to "drag" my kids around the floor with them holding a rope - they love it. And my Dad did the very same thing to me when I was a kid
Did your dad drag you though a store where there were many thing you could have hit your head on or was he careful enough to do it where you would not get hurt. I would also love to know what she did when she reached the parking lot and asphalt.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:02 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,946,266 times
O sweet geezus lots of you sound like bleed'n hearts.. your baseing the so called abuse on what ifs.. the kid was a brat .. sure mom coulda done this diffrently but she didnt .. kid got a free drag & didnt get hurt ..... and prolly had fun being dragged .. the mall was carpeted no harm done ..

being kind to a kids little ego by allowing them to be turdblossoms in public just galls the crap outta me ..kids today for the most part arent taught to mind in public like they should be because parents are so afraid of the cops being called on them for acting like a parent that things like this happen ..

Old 08-06-2009, 05:09 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,252,821 times
Quote:
Did your dad drag you though a store where there were many thing you could have hit your head on or was he careful enough to do it where you would not get hurt.
No - just around the corral with the horses having to move real fast -

Fact is - you cannot insulate and isolate your kids all the time. There is going to be a time when you have to let go. They are going to fall off that swing and skin their knee. They are going to fall of the bike and scape their elbow.

Neither you, nor I, know anything about the facts in this video - and if I may - you are really jumping to conclusions without having any or all of the facts -

Old 08-06-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
No - just around the corral with the horses having to move real fast -

Fact is - you cannot insulate and isolate your kids all the time. There is going to be a time when you have to let go. They are going to fall off that swing and skin their knee. They are going to fall of the bike and scape their elbow.
You are correct but when you are the one causing the scraped knees and elbows that is very different.

Quote:
Neither you, nor I, know anything about the facts in this video - and if I may - you are really jumping to conclusions without having any or all of the facts -
You are correct I don't know what the child was doing but I know the mother had better options and since she is the adult should have made those choices. I simple don't think anything the child did warrants them being dragged across the floor.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:22 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,424,965 times
Quote:
When I put my child in a car they go in a car seat all protective measures taken. When my child plays on the playground I am constantly supervising them and telling them no to things that can hurt them, all protect measures taken, when my child crosses the street they hold my hand, all protective measures taken. This woman DID NOT TAKE ANY PROTECTIVE MEASURE. She could have carried the child, put them in a stroller, put them in a cart she did nothing to protect her child from harm.
She was sliding the kid down the middle of a wide aisle of a big box store with a smooth floor surface. Where's the danger?

There are people who think that hovering parents who constantly warn and protect a child of all the dangers -- real and imagined -- in this world are doing the child no good. These are the parents who grow up to become helicopter parents, hovering over their adult children trying to protect them from harms -- real and imagined. It stifles maturation for that child. They stay children, even when they are chronologically adults.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
She was sliding the kid down the middle of a wide aisle of a big box store with a smooth floor surface. Where's the danger?

There are people who think that hovering parents who constantly warn and protect a child of all the dangers -- real and imagined -- in this world are doing the child no good. These are the parents who grow up to become helicopter parents, hovering over their adult children trying to protect them from harms -- real and imagined. It stifles maturation for that child. They stay children, even when they are chronologically adults.

Ok so because I don't drag my child across the floor I am over protective and stifling. Great logic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies