Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 11:22 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
You can't argue logic with those who spread misinformation and fear, the way of argument itself is presented is the entire problem with politics today. The opposition is no longer some one with a difference of opinion and ideas...they are evil incarnate, hate the country, unpatriotic, mentally ill, and will destroy the earth. Once we as people give value of the winner take all, anything to win, and my way or the highway philosophies we all lose. Debates stop, coexistence stops, and we are left with two propaganda spewing hate groups that work against each other because the others viewpoint is the one of the Antichrist...not because proposals would gain the most value.

Even if I agree with the ends the means are important as well. If some one just lies to convince people it's just a distasteful. I don't want misinformation to win the debate or even to continue that type of argument. Tort immunity is terrible, just as much as retroactive withdrawal.
I agree. This is a sound argument. However, you realize this type of inflammatory speech exists on both sides. I was both suprised and not suprised by the White House's position asking people to report e-mails and websites. That is the type of activity that Liberals used to accuse the Bush administrations of doing yet they have resorted to these same tactics. Furthermore, labeling people a "Mob" to those who protest at Town Hall meetins is hypocritical. I remember the Bush administrations would label the media "The Liberal Media" as manipulating people when polls would show opposition to the administration's policies. Now these same liberals are resorting to those tactics by demonizing and dismissing those protestors when in fact they have real concerns. And if this is just a "manufactured" effort as the Dems claim, theny why didn't they "manufacture" a similar response. It's been a week now. You would think they would do something similar to respond. Or perhaps these people are genuine and do have real concerns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 11:37 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I agree. This is a sound argument. However, you realize this type of inflammatory speech exists on both sides. I was both suprised and not suprised by the White House's position asking people to report e-mails and websites. That is the type of activity that Liberals used to accuse the Bush administrations of doing yet they have resorted to these same tactics.
Both should be smacked around for doing it! When one is tolerated because people agree with them it just makes a bad example for everyone It's just that those who are screaming the loudest are those with conservative views, where really I feel extremists have really hijacked the party who I feel share many values.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:55 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Both should be smacked around for doing it! When one is tolerated because people agree with them it just makes a bad example for everyone It's just that those who are screaming the loudest are those with conservative views, where really I feel extremists have really hijacked the party who I feel share many values.
At the same time, it's easy to dismiss a voice simply because it's loud. The truth is there are times when loud voices are accurate despite it's unappealing tone. I feel that people immediately dismiss a message because of it's emotional response rather than looking past that and seeing the message. When people are being sincere, they often do lose control of their emotions. I don't think people are just being obnoxious when they say Obama is trying to socialize medicine. And I don't think the people at those town hall meetings are manufactured. I think it's demeaning to those people to label them that way rather than consider they have a point and are genuinely upset. It's just another gaffe by the Obama administration. It's one thing to demonize the media or politicians but now they are demonizing the American people directly. That's not wise. If I'm the President, the last thing I want to do is belittle the public by saying their outrage is manufactured.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies