Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 03:38 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,946,021 times

Advertisements

Should schools ban teachers in religious garb?
First Amendent center (http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/commentary.aspx?id=21892 - broken link)
Oregon Gov. Ted Kulongoski breathed new life into an old debate when he signed a law on July 16 protecting religious freedom for all workers — except for teachers in public schools.
Sikhs, Muslims, Jews, Seventh-day Adventists and adherents of other faiths are celebrating the Oregon Workplace Religious Freedom Act because it requires employers to make reasonable accommodations for workers who wear religious clothing or need to take holy days off.
But many of the same groups are bemoaning the failure of the law to include public school teachers, reaffirming a nearly century-old Oregon statute prohibiting teachers from wearing “sectarian clothing” in the classroom. Muslims, Sikhs and others who wear religious attire as an obligation of faith are effectively banned from teaching in Oregon’s public schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 04:18 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,590,583 times
You can't have it both ways. You don't want prayer in school, you don't want religion in school, you don't want creationism taught in schools, but you want to allow teachers to dress in their religiously correct grab, which is the same thing as teaching their religion.

You are there to teach, nothing more, nothing less. By wearing any clothing that detracts from the lessons being taught you are cheating our children of the education (such as it is these days). Personally I say go ahead, let them wear what they want, but then let me put a cross on the wall of my class room, let me celebrate Halloween and Christmas the way I desire, let me have my choices as well.

Since we know those things won't happen, we have to realize we can't let any religious thing happen. It is only fair.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:41 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
I actually don't have a problem with this. If Muslims, Sikhs and others who wear religious attire as an obligation of faith are effectively banned from teaching in Oregon’s public schools are they also banned from any job requiring a uniform?

Old 08-06-2009, 05:51 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I actually don't have a problem with this. If Muslims, Sikhs and others who wear religious attire as an obligation of faith are effectively banned from teaching in Oregon’s public schools are they also banned from any job requiring a uniform?
Well now what do you think ? Policeman, fireman, military ?
No, you have to draw the line. This is their choice to make.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:19 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,946,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
yep.... they will dress in regulation uniforms ..

Personally I would like it if all teachers were required to wear a standard uniform as befitting thier status as a teacher .. ends alot of the crap of what to wear

what I found interesting was it has become a fist amendment issue

Old 08-06-2009, 06:54 PM

507 posts, read 678,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
You can't have it both ways. You don't want prayer in school, you don't want religion in school, you don't want creationism taught in schools, but you want to allow teachers to dress in their religiously correct grab, which is the same thing as teaching their religion.

You are there to teach, nothing more, nothing less. By wearing any clothing that detracts from the lessons being taught you are cheating our children of the education (such as it is these days). Personally I say go ahead, let them wear what they want, but then let me put a cross on the wall of my class room, let me celebrate Halloween and Christmas the way I desire, let me have my choices as well.

Since we know those things won't happen, we have to realize we can't let any religious thing happen. It is only fair.
You are combining two entirely different issues. When a women places a hijab over her head, she is covering her own body, and her action have no impact on others. It would be a completely different situation if she required the girls in her class to cover, and told all of the students that they had to pray five times a day facing Mecca. This action would be forcing her faith on others, the first action of simply covering her head is not.

If you are in a public school and you place a cross on the wall, require children to pray in school, or learn creationism, you are teaching faith. When an individual wears religious clothing, such as a cross, that is not teaching anything. If you ask the average person why Sikh men cover their heads, they probably have no clue why even though they have likely seen men covered in such a way. If my religion requires that I wear black shoes everyday, and I do, why would children assume that I am wearing black shoes because of religion, they may just assume that I like black shoes. Again, wearing something does not necessarily teach anything.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:26 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,314,645 times
Public schools are secular places. Teachers should not wear religious clothing.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:33 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well now what do you think ? Policeman, fireman, military ?
No, you have to draw the line. This is their choice to make.
I am agreeing with you. Work place dress codes should be followed and if they can skip the "religious attire" for a uniform they can skip it at school.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:39 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,582,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faworki1947 View Post
Muslims, Sikhs and others who wear religious attire as an obligation of faith are effectively banned from teaching in Oregon’s public schools.
Good thing Oregon is just one of 50 states. These folks are free to ply their religious trade in any other state or to seek employment somewhere outside Oregon's public schools.

This is in no doubt stark contrast to the "freedoms" these folks would enjoy in theirown homelands.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:08 PM

18,714 posts, read 33,372,489 times
Do remember that many of the people who would wear "religious clothing" are American born, and the U.S. *is* their own homeland.

That said, I sure wouldn't want to see a teacher in full burka drag in a public school.

A lot of the Muslim "covering" is a matter of modesty, or perceived modesty, like a head scarf or something.
People certainly wear a cross necklace or some such symbol. Where do you draw the line?
Should an obersevant Jewish teacher not wear a yamalke in public school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies