Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2009, 06:20 PM

351 posts, read 375,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Nope - not a true assertion. Sorry.
Sorry it must be a different greatday who has said how many cars he owns or how he has enough money to allow him not to get vehicle insurance in AZ, or the boat you own. there are too many examples of this other greatdays assertions on his wealth to put on here.
Sorry i must be mistaking you for Greatday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 06:21 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,010,868 times
Quote:
It CAN get very confusing - can't it???

TM - with all the work you have done - and the replies - your fingers have to be POOPED by now!
LOL.. yeah.. and I've neglected my laundry and my house.. LOL.. really I have. Im' just so wrapped up in it I need to pull myself away..LOL.

And I do want to do some further reading on it.. I missed the parts that talk about limiting or controlling MRI's and the like.. so I have to read throgh more carefully and other parts I missed...

On top of my three blogs, my work with the not for profit,my son, my dishes..my work with my husband..LOL. I'm a busy gal.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:22 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Quote:
It CAN get very confusing - can't it???

TM - with all the work you have done - and the replies - your fingers have to be POOPED by now!
I very much admire what you are trying to do. I am just fatigued by all the sideline misinformation . . . You are a real trooper to keep slogging thru/ it.

God bless you for trying to get to the core of what this legislation is all about.

The sad part is . . . all we have to go on is the latest version - we really have no clue what else has been changed in mark up - or what will be changed when Congress reconvenes.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:25 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchcock View Post
Sorry it must be a different greatday who has said how many cars he owns or how he has enough money to allow him not to get vehicle insurance in AZ, or the boat you own. there are too many examples of this other greatdays assertions on his wealth to put on here.
Sorry i must be mistaking you for Greatday.
Permit me - but, I'm not any different than a lot of people.

And putting 15k into a CD for financial liability is cheaper than buying insurance - and LOTS of people have boats in AZ - AZ leads the nation in boats per capita -

Sorry - you are making assumptions with no facts

But - DM me is you have any other comments - its against the rules to carry on like this

Old 08-07-2009, 06:27 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,010,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I very much admire what you are trying to do. I am just fatigued by all the sideline misinformation . . . You are a real trooper to keep slogging thru/ it.

God bless you for trying to get to the core of what this legislation is all about.

The sad part is . . . all we have to go on is the latest version - we really have no clue what else has been changed in mark up - or what will be changed when Congress reconvenes.
Yeah.. and then we'll have to re-read it again..UGGH!! LOL

Old 08-07-2009, 06:35 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Yeah.. and then we'll have to re-read it again..UGGH!! LOL
Ohhhh . . . I dunno, TM. I wonder if Congress is gonna rush back and push it thru/ b/f we have a chance to begin to digest the material. You know they are planning to use reconcilation so they don't have to have a true majority. So if Obama feels he has the vote, there won't be discussion.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:38 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,912,825 times
the problem is going to be the cost, which most people don't want to discuss. The Congressional Budget Office (CBO) estimates the legislation would cost $1.3 TRILLION during its first decade: $438 billion for Medicaid and the Children's Health Insurance Program, $53 billion in tax credits for small businesses that offer health insurance to their employees, and $773 billion in subsidies for a government-administered "insurance exchange" in which people could choose among various health plans, including a newly created "public option."

One reason the tab is so high: The bill defines its target too broadly. U.S. Census Bureau data indicate that nearly 40% of the 46 million U.S. residents who were uninsured at some point in 2007 had annual household incomes of $50,000 or more. Another 23% or so were already covered by existing government programs or could have been. Instead of focusing on the minority who can't afford insurance but are ineligible for taxpayer-funded health care, the House bill takes aim at "the uninsured" generally.

By 2018, the CBO projects, the legislation would provide insurance to 37 million Americans who currently lack it, at a cost of $234 billion. That works out to about $6,300 a person for a year of coverage, which seems pretty pricey, especially because the total cost would be higher: People participating in the insurance exchange would be expected to pay part of their premiums. (in contrast, according to a December 2007 report from America's Health Insurance Plans, the average annual premium for nongroup health insurance that year was about $2,600 for individual coverage and $5,800 for family coverage).

more details here:
http://www.bwcitypaper.com/Articles-...Insurance.html

Old 08-07-2009, 08:45 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
This thread is refreshing. Finally something with a little bit of common sense and substance. Maybe there is some hope for this country after all...

Old 08-08-2009, 12:29 AM

19,023 posts, read 14,198,297 times
Item: 72 year old woman, on SocSec, Medicare, disability, etc. She gripes that when she can get to a doctor, all he does is stare at his computer screen and just feeds her pills. Maybe she's over reacting, but has anyone else noted the "attention span" of physicians diminishing? Or is it resignation to the fact that the elderly won't "get better" and he's just managing the slow decline, as painlessly as he can?

Old 08-08-2009, 12:59 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,304,674 times
If we pass this bill, there is no turning back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Great Britain has been in this plan for years and they all wish
for reversal, which is nearly impossible. Our Health care plan
is the best in world. Why change for a rookie president who
has a resentment for America!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies