Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: do you support the war(s) effort and funding?
republican, yes i support it 5 15.15%
republican, no i do not support it 4 12.12%
democrat, yes i support it 0 0%
democrat, no i do not support it 8 24.24%
independent, yes i support it 7 21.21%
independent, no i do not support it 9 27.27%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 05:22 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times

Advertisements

Afghanistan is where Empires go to die. We never should have gone there in the first place. History has shown that you can bribe Afghanis but you cannot beat them at their own game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 05:26 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,907,371 times
we are slowly shifting into pakistan as well.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:43 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,269,927 times
I'm against all wars at all times.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:48 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,375,785 times
I don't think we should have been in Iraq in the first place, but now that we are there, I find it hard to see us just up and leaving.

Seriously, I think GWB, Dick Cheney, Don Rumsfeld, and several others should be tried for treason. I don't know about executing them, but they were either extremely derelict in their duties, or they flat out lied about the intelligence in the run up to the Iraq war. However, now that we've walked in the party and slapped everyone around, I don't think we can leave without making up for it.

I've always supported the war effort in Afghanistan, and I always will.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:49 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,344,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i guess you would have to post your answer based on whether those reasons were compelling enough in your own mind to justify being in both countries. the fact is that both wars are currently intertwined.

They didn't have to be, I believe the terror training facilities in Afghanistan justified that war, Iraq was little more than Bush's predetermined personal vendetta launched in the frenzy of post 9/11 America.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:51 AM

we are still in iraq. we are now in afghanistan and increasing troop strength. we are going into pakistan. what part of that don't you see as an escalation of war effort?

Old 08-07-2009, 05:55 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,375,785 times
Quote:
we are still in iraq. we are now in afghanistan and increasing troop strength. we are going into pakistan. what part of that don't you see as an escalation of war effort?
We are drawing down troops in Iraq. I think we'll be down to 20,000 or so troops over the next 4 years there.

Afghanistan, we should have been there, and we need to stay there till its done.

I haven't seen us going into Pakistan. Pakistan has nuclear weapons, we can't just go in there and do whatever we want.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:58 AM

820 posts, read 1,202,405 times
This man has spent more time embedded with US and Allied troops than any other reporter in the world:

www.michaelyon-online.com

He knows what he's talking about.

68,326 posts, read 54,344,425 times
Quote:

Uh, when did I say I didn't?

Read your own question, it's about effort and funding. Seems obvious to me if someone supports a war effort they'll support the funding for what needs to be done, if that means escalation then so be it.

But still, they are two separate wars and your question doesn't recognize that fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
We are drawing down troops in Iraq. I think we'll be down to 20,000 or so troops over the next 4 years there.

Afghanistan, we should have been there, and we need to stay there till its done.

I haven't seen us going into Pakistan. Pakistan has nuclear weapons, we can't just go in there and do whatever we want.
We liberated Kuwait eighteen years ago and they have yet to opt for democracy. In the Muslim world more important than freedom and democracy is tribe and religion. We have made the good college try for over seven years and now should realize that we are not going to teach warlords to like democracy and grow cotton instead of poppies.

Now some answer to prevent Afghanistan from becoming a safe haven for Al Qaida. I called the State Department after 9/11, and it reported Al Qaida in forty-five countries, including the United States, but not Iraq. Now we have spread Al Qaida to Iraq and determined to have Al Qaida grow in Afghanistan. What we can't understand is that we are creating terrorism in Afghanistan and Pakistan. The Taliban were our best friends in Charlie Wilson's War -- the only war we've won since World War II. I helped Charlie on the Senate side. I didn't know what was going on, but he was getting Israel to send Stinger missiles to Muslim Pakistan to shoot down the Russians. Now we are determined to turn our former friends into enemies and destroy Pakistan. Yesterday I read an article that it won't be long before charging President George W. Bush with war crimes for killing civilians in Pakistan with drones. Now the same charge could be made against President Obama. Five years ago, I was in Pakistan to learn that Osama bin Laden had a sixty percent approval rating and President Bush was at ten percent. I wouldn't advise an America to walk the streets of any city in Pakistan today. We are ruining Pakistan. Finally, I'm given the answer, "to stabilize Afghanistan." The best way to stabilize is to get out. (senator hollings)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies