Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2009, 11:35 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,842,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Nobody is taking your freedom away. And you can't take my freedom away either. You've the freedom to keep quiet and support liars. I've the freedom to call y'all what you're.
You are sitting here defending citizens turning in other citizens for using their freedom. Yes you are all for us losing our freedoms. You can try and put a pretty little bow on it all day long. Its still you are for me and others losing our freedoms.

You keep talking about liars and supporting a liar while you sit here and defend a liar and support them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 11:36 AM

3,689 posts, read 10,414,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You'd be more persuasive if you quit believing people are turning others in to the govt. That website is for getting ACCURATE information, not RW talking points.
I do have to disagree with you here.

From the White House Blog, I have placed in bold the important words used.

"There is a lot of disinformation about health insurance reform out there, spanning from control of personal finances to end of life care. These rumors often travel just below the surface via chain emails or through casual conversation. Since we can’t keep track of all of them here at the White House, we’re asking for your help. If you get an email or see something on the web about health insurance reform that seems fishy, send it to flag@whitehouse.gov."

The only way to report Casual Conversation is by name.

The Sedition Act of 1918 was deemed at first by the public as being a "Patriotic" act. and ended with 2000+ people being held as political prisoners for being critical of Woodrow Wilson, his administration, and WWI

The sedition act was used in combination with the Espionage act to allow for the government to arrest citizens and deny them first amendment rights.

We have this little email address now to gather "information" We have several government produced documents calling people that are critical of the government as "extremists" and we have the beloved Patriot Act.

The seeds have been sewn. A precedent has been set in the early 1900's. I am not sure if that is what might happen, I just do not want to find out if it will.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:37 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Do you demand that Obama tell you the truth? Cause you do know he has lied to you right?

Seriously you need to move to Cuba no kidding dude cause you are all for me losing my freedoms.
I will call Obama a liar, if I see him as such. I've no reason to, nor feel the need to.

As for Cuba, well, the situation is no different there than what you folks are trying to create here, except at the other extreme. If I can't stand y'all trying to turn this country into a mess, it makes no sense to move to a country already in a mess. May be you should consider instead. Y'all are a minority anyway.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Reporting a lie is not the same as turning another person. You're sharing a piece of misinformation being spread by crooks, not their names and addresses.

Reporting is reporting no matter how you try and spin it.

lmbo@ you thinking that " reporting" an email our gov cant find out the name and how do you know people arent turning in names and addressess.

Last edited by Reads2MUCH; 08-09-2009 at 03:37 PM.. Reason: no personal comments

Old 08-09-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
I will call Obama a liar, if I see him as such. I've no reason to, nor feel the need to.

As for Cuba, well, the situation is no different there than what you folks are trying to create here, except at the other extreme. If I can't stand y'all trying to turn this country into a mess, it makes no sense to move to a country already in a mess. May be you should consider instead. Y'all are a minority anyway.
OMG Help me off the floor. Come on you think Obama is nothing but honest with you? Of course you arent going to call Obama a liar because he is your Fidel. You have to do whatever it takes for your Fidel.

Last edited by Reads2MUCH; 08-09-2009 at 03:38 PM..

Old 08-09-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
I do have to disagree with you here.

From the White House Blog, I have placed in bold the important words used.

"There is a lot of disinformation about health insurance reform out there, spanning from control of personal finances to end of life care. These rumors often travel just below the surface via chain emails or through casual conversation. Since we can’t keep track of all of them here at the White House, we’re asking for your help. If you get an email or see something on the web about health insurance reform that seems fishy, send it to flag@whitehouse.gov."

The only way to report Casual Conversation is by name.

The Sedition Act of 1918 was deemed at first by the public as being a "Patriotic" act. and ended with 2000+ people being held as political prisoners for being critical of Woodrow Wilson, his administration, and WWI

The sedition act was used in combination with the Espionage act to allow for the government to arrest citizens and deny them first amendment rights.

We have this little email address now to gather "information" We have several government produced documents calling people that are critical of the government as "extremists" and we have the beloved Patriot Act.

The seeds have been sewn. A precedent has been set in the early 1900's. I am not sure if that is what might happen, I just do not want to find out if it will.
They're asking you to report anything fishy you see via emails or on a website. Not asking to report names, or even casual conversations.

I would. And anybody who doesn't lie, should have no reason to be afraid.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Talking to you is like talking to a wall. You sit here and talk about someone else doing something while you are doing it and when someone points it out to you, You just ignore it and keep posting the samething over and over again.

Reporting is reporting no matter how you try and spin it. Really you would do well in cuba.

lmbo@ you thinking that " reporting" an email our gov cant find out the name and how do you know people arent turning in names and addressess.

I give up you belong in Cuba. Really
If I were reporting lies, I would be Rush Limbaugh minus the millions he makes out of his sheeple.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:43 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:

Reporting is reporting no matter how you try and spin it.

I looked at the website referenced. I clicked on the contact link. So, if you have a question, you can e-mail it in and maybe it will get answered. Believe it or not, I don't trust the bureaucracy all that much myself, maybe you'll get an answer and maybe you won't. But all you have to do is ask your question, e.g. "I heard euthanasia is beign proposed for seniors". There is no mention of stating WHO told you that, etc.

If you're worried about your isp, go down to the library and e-mail from there. Set up a free gmail account.

Last edited by Reads2MUCH; 08-09-2009 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: edited for orphaned material

Old 08-09-2009, 11:44 AM

3,923 posts, read 3,644,965 times
All quotes by Einstein's Ghost
Quote:
People deserve the right to hear the truth. I want misinformation and lies to be addressed, and more so when they affect me, If we knew each other in person, and I spread rumors about you (based on lies/misinformation), would you want to know what they are? Would you want to confront and discuss? May be not.
They don't need you to tattle on your neighbor to know what rumors are circulating out there. It's right in their face. This isn't a secret plot, this is a vocal, public outcry. And they are asking for what you are asking for. An end to misinformation coming out of the White House. See, you are operating based on the idea that it is the opponents of the bill that are misrepresenting everything. Problem is, we think it's on the other end. And since many of us have read the bill, and people like Obama and most of Congress have not, I'd say we are probably a better judge of exactly what is misinformation. And as far as confronting and discussing, it looks to me like they are simply running and hiding. Cancelling town meetings left and right, I have yet to see Obama try to address the people opposed to the bill with anything tangible. All he does it get up there, tell you it's good, then talks tough for his supporters and tells you to Fight the Right!(wing) The man doesn't have a clue what those 1000 plus pages actually say, he is just telling you what he has been told and you are gobbling it up then yelling at regular people who have read the bill, calling them liars. This is the madness that is the current liberal argument.

Quote:
There's no greater danger to a country where lies and misinformation cannot be challenged, in fact condoned towards political and financial advantage of a few. Xenophobia and lies, are perfect recipe for chaos and guess who benefits the most from it.
No one said you are yours cannot "challenge" the words of the opposition. We are opposed to the tactics being employed. The greater danger is when you continue to put more power in the hands of the government, allowing them more and more rope to gain more and more ground. And in the end, it is the ones in control who benefit from chaos my friend, because it opens up a whole new world of control. Sure, let the country spiral out of control. All that much more easy to declare martial law, suspend elections, and turn the country into a police state ruled under a single "all powerful" government ring. Your recipe is right on target, but your aim is a little too far to the right.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:47 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Desperate times call for desperate measures. The guy was not going to work to turn the place around so he had to go. Happy Texan and anifani, youre right about the Board, I apologize -- but those are turnaround experts, not Obama goons.

anifani, you're right about we'll see. He's only been in 1/2 of one day, if a term can equal 4 days. Rome =/= built in 1/2 day
I do agree that desperate times call for desperate measures and it's possible there was no other choice. But they should call a spade a spade and not obfuscate what really happened with GM. I'm for reality and swift actions to prevent a collapse but I am not for the illusion of green shoots and happy talk. Yes, I understand it's a confidence game but sometimes people need a dose of reality to really wake them up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies