U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 09:52 AM

68,609 posts, read 57,269,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
Sorry tomcox, as you can see nothing raises the ire of the libbies more than a person having a belief system or practicing personal accountability.
You are now just another piñata for them to swing at.
What the H***? You live in Illinois, no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 09:52 AM

35,000 posts, read 22,282,433 times
it's conceivable that not one person who would benefit from tomocox's motel and food money in IL and NV supports Harry Reid or Obama. Southern IL especially, and there are conservative neighborhoods of LV where he could stay.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:03 AM

10,061 posts, read 9,469,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
YOU GOT THE POINT PERFECTLY... Its a terrible business decision, but once upon a time in America, integrity and courage to stand for something had value.

If my dollars are going to the benefit of something I don't believe in, then it may cost me. Simply the price of freedom.
You sound like a communist:
"Who cares about profits, as long as we stand for something"

Not investing in Illinois has nothing to do with "the price of freedom"
same way as not shopping in Walmart has nothing todo with "the price of freedom"

Old 08-08-2009, 10:05 AM

11,905 posts, read 5,968,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post

same way as not shopping in Walmart has nothing todo with "the price of freedom"

As a rule, I dont step foot in a Walmart.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:06 AM

35,000 posts, read 22,282,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post

the payoff is being sanctimonious.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:09 AM

3,194 posts, read 2,462,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What the H***? You live in Illinois, no?
I respect tomcox's right to spend his money how and where he wants.
Odd that the "liberals" wouldn't agree

Old 08-08-2009, 10:20 AM

22,038 posts, read 16,883,434 times
Quote:
I won't be coming to visit you. So long as you elect and recommend people such as your US Senators, elect mobsters such as your immediate past governor, and lay claim to anti-liberty people such a those staffing the third greatest symbol of freedom in the entire history of the Earth. Suffice it to be said that we could argue which is greater, the US Capitol or the Statue of Liberty, the White House would be # 3.

Oh, yeah, I am missing a very important conference. My business will suffer because I can't be there. Missing the Las Vegas International Convention in March due to my standards of giving money to anyone who would support Senator Harry Reid, either.

Fire the bums if you want any of my money.
The real question is why do they elect them? Why do people vote for corrupt politicians? I could see people thinking some sleazeball's personal daliance's not impacting them but corrupt politicians actually hurt them personally. Is it laziness? They vote for the name they know. Or is it that the opposition isn't much better?

Old 08-08-2009, 10:35 AM

11,905 posts, read 5,968,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The real question is why do they elect them? Why do people vote for corrupt politicians? I could see people thinking some sleazeball's personal daliance's not impacting them but corrupt politicians actually hurt them personally. Is it laziness? They vote for the name they know. Or is it that the opposition isn't much better?
Elections in this country come down to two people, essentially. There is little to no chance a viable third party candidate emerges in these elections, and if neither candidate offers any real vision, substance, experience or personal attributes in the race, it often is the best of two bad choices. I've seen it in elections for Governors as well as Congressman. Illinois has a history of statewide corruption, the Governor before Blago was a Republican and is in PRISON (George Ryan)

Then you have the media to consider, and their role in the promotion of two potential candidates, often excluding third party candidates (I saw it personally in 2008 here in my district) and the money to pay for campaigns, but at the end of the day, its still a choice between only 2 people

Old 08-08-2009, 11:35 AM

16,249 posts, read 11,051,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Chicago is a wonderful town no matter who is President. Most first time visitors there are blown away with what a great city it is. I just heard someone on the radio the other day commenting they wanted to move there after their first visit. It's gotten increasingly pricey in that location, however, as the burbs have grown for miles in all directions. Mucho cheaper downstate but it offers nothing by comparison (obviously)
I know. Lived there for many years. Sister and brother live there now.

Old 08-08-2009, 01:40 PM

9,806 posts, read 7,578,743 times
Quote:
I won't be coming to visit you. So long as you elect and recommend people such as your US Senators, elect mobsters such as your immediate past governor, and lay claim to anti-liberty people such a those staffing the third greatest symbol of freedom in the entire history of the Earth. Suffice it to be said that we could argue which is greater, the US Capitol or the Statue of Liberty, the White House would be # 3.

Oh, yeah, I am missing a very important conference. My business will suffer because I can't be there. Missing the Las Vegas International Convention in March due to my standards of giving money to anyone who would support Senator Harry Reid, either.

Fire the bums if you want any of my money.
I don't recall inviting you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies