Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 09:33 AM

486 posts, read 1,035,485 times

Advertisements

I think many people who support health reform would be nervous about even showing up to these forums. That's the danger. Some of these people seem to be going to extremes to drown out, or stifle people who have a different vision. They're supposed to be town hall conversations or discussions. No one's saying people who don't want reform don't have the right to voice their opinions. But come on, shouting people down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 09:38 AM

628 posts, read 1,315,944 times
Its going to backfire on any message the Dems have to further the health care bill. The people against this bill dont want another government run/funded/controlled program. They wonder why some unions are exempt and dont approve of that aspect. They wonder why Congress is exempt and dont approve of that aspect. They dont want illegal immigrants in the plan. They dont want any tax increases to support it and most of all...they dont want it passed RIGHT NOW. The vote can wait a few months for the bill to be illuminated and dissected for all to see just what it contains. By sending in union members to shout down the shouters will just increase the determination of the right to defeat the bill. If this health care bill is rammed down the throats of America it will cost the Dems dearly in 2010.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:41 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muman View Post
Do you think there's a danger for the GOP of mainstream America seeing these mobs shouting down Congressmen/women as dangerous wing-nuts rather than contributors to constructive dialogues about health care?
Will the town hall shouting match strategy backfire?

YES!

Old 08-08-2009, 09:47 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
I know how dare the UNion members do that and then use violence knocking people down and getting locked up.. When will those union members learn that americans have a right to be there and voice their opinions and ask questions without those union thugs doing things like that that causes them to be locked up
Those "union members" aren't even going to participate in UHC..they get to keep their own insurance like Congress. They shouldn't even be at these meetings.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:51 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Those "union members" aren't even going to participate in UHC..they get to keep their own insurance like Congress. They shouldn't even be at these meetings.
That shows how scared the Dem. are of people asking a decend and honest question!

Old 08-08-2009, 09:54 AM

Now the "real" town hall meetings are happening. Not the nice ones you see on TV full of "chosen" audience members. From my little place in the world it is backfiring as normal Joe's are fed up with the government, both parties based on the name calling and fear mongering going on in the press.
And this is coming from our elected officials and our President and his administration.

Even Obama cannot or will not address the "misinformation and lies" and offer the correct information:

Healthcare critics make outlandish claims, Obama says - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090808/pl_nm/us_usa_healthcare_obama_2 - broken link)
""Let me explain what reform will mean for you. And let me start by dispelling the outlandish rumors that reform will promote euthanasia, cut Medicaid or bring about a government takeover of health care. That's simply not true," Obama said in his Saturday address."

Now he did NOT say what the bill IS DOING. He did not dispel the rumors with truth; he just said "they're not true". Then tell us WHAT IS TRUE, MR. PRESIDENT, TELL US.

Someone needs to tell him that medicaid WILL be cut back with UHC. Even the President doesn't have the correct information. Should we turn him into the government website that wants sources of misinformation ?

Old 08-08-2009, 09:58 AM

486 posts, read 1,035,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
That shows how scared the Dem. are of people asking a decend and honest question!
Are these people simply 'asking a decent and honest question'? Or are they screaming, yelling, and flailing their arms? What comes next with these people?

Old 08-08-2009, 09:58 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
Quote:
Originally posted by kevcrawford
We're not allowed to have constructive conversation with them. They don't want to have a conversation. They don't care anything about the public. Being loud and in their face is the only way to get across the point that we're mad as hell and won't stand for it anymore. Maybe then they'll start thinking about the only thing that matters to them...re-election.

That's all they care about and if they start seeing that if they keep this garbage up, they're out on their tail, THEN maybe they'll listen. But right now congress has such a sense of entitlement that they're going to do what they want to do.

Sitting down and having a friendly conversation won't work if only one party wants to do it. It's time to get in their face and demand that they start listening to their bosses...US!
Silly, don't you know rule number one in conflict?: Yelling at someone shuts the other guy down. They won't listen to you. Would you try to listen to someone if they were screaming at you? I can't respect people who scream to make themselves heard.

I think a letter writing/email campaign would work better. You can still show your anger in writing, and at the same time articulate your problem. If you get your friends and neighbors involved, and you all write, your congressman will think "A lot of my constituents are against this health reform bill. I think I'll vote against it"

But you won't listen to this sensible advice because it's "not as effective" Oh well.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:59 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
It's not honest questions though, those that want to are being forced out. The people in there are screaming at the top of their lungs and throwing punches. When people allow bad behavior just because it furthers their cause, and refuse to see the violence, there is something seriously wrong with political debate....and not with their opposition.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muman View Post
Are these people simply 'asking a decent and honest question'? Or are they screaming, yelling, and flailing their arms? What comes next with these people?
I think what you are seeing on YouTube are only snippets of the real meetings.

I can only tell you about the Doggett meeting in Austin Texas.
Doggett spoke for 45 minutes - normal town hall meeting,no screaming and interuptions. Question was asked if Doggett would vote NO if the majority of his constituents did not want this healthcare bill passed and Doggett said he was voting YES. That's when the "Just say No" chanting started.

In the case of Spector, I understand he spoke for some time and the question he was asked was if he read the bill and he brushed that off with "no time and it has to be passed right away" type of answer. Then his audience started chanting.

The YouTubes are only capturing a portion of these meetings.
More of the propaganda and lies being spread BY BOTH SIDES.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies