Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 01:33 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,292,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Even in the hotter states the temperature six feet under is relatively cool.
I wasn't referring to underground burial.

In New Orleans the plots are all above ground. "The ovens" (creepy term, i know) are mostly in rows and have been in use for a v-e-r-y long time.

See link for a photos. And, yes, this practice is still used.

New Orleans, Louisiana

However, they still wouldn't work in anywhere but the southern states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 01:36 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times
There is an old cemetery in my city, long since closed to "new business", but at City Counsel meetings this subject has come up before. There is a need for a new one in the vicinity but so far it's been no go.

I would hate to see the cemetery removed. It's open space after all, adds interest to the community, and a reminder to us all of what awaits.

I'm going to be cremated.

Old 08-09-2009, 01:42 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,565,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
I wasn't referring to underground burial.

In New Orleans the plots are all above ground. "The ovens" (creepy term, i know) are mostly in rows and have been in use for a v-e-r-y long time.

See link for a photos. And, yes, this practice is still used.

New Orleans, Louisiana

However, they still wouldn't work in anywhere but the southern states.
I suppose they could function as an "oven", but that's not their purpose. The water table in New Orleans is very high, so often buried caskets would literally pop out of the ground when it rained a lot. The above ground graves were a solution to that problem.

New Orleans cemeteries--"Cities of the Dead"--History of our Above-Ground Tombs

Old 08-09-2009, 01:53 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,520,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Have you ever heard of "dust to dust"? What do you think is down there, beneath those 100-uear old gravestones?
bones, which take far longer than 100 yrs to turn to dust?

just a guess.

Old 08-09-2009, 01:57 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,375,785 times
I honestly don't see any shortage of land for cemeteries.

I want to be cremated, I see no reason to buy a plot of land for a body that will decomposed long after I'm gone. 200 years from the time I'm dead, I doubt anyone will know who I was, or care about who that headstone represents.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:02 PM

8,474 posts, read 6,875,465 times
This has already happend in the small nation state of Singapore. There is currently just one cemetary open and this for families whose religion stipulates burial. Everyone else, the vast majority, are cremated. With the exception of the one cemetary noted, all other cemetaries were dug up, the remains cremated and the land returned to private and commercial use. Cremated remains can be returned to the family or stored in government run ash storage facilities. The one exisiting cemetary leases plots for 15 years. When the lease expires these remains are also creamated.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:07 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,464,507 times
Burial at sea...

Old 08-09-2009, 07:21 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,189,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyse View Post
I dont know why this popped into my head, but what will happen when there is no more space for bodies? Will cremation become standard? And when do you think it will come to this?
Cremation is the answer, then throw the ashes to the wind to help the wildflowers grow.....full circle!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies