Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Am I a racist?
Yes, and I agree with your statements about race. 10 4.44%
Yes, and I disagree with your statements about race. 100 44.44%
No, I wouldn't call you a racist, but I agree with your statements about race. 72 32.00%
No, I wouldn't call you a racist. I also disagree with your statements about race. 43 19.11%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 05:24 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,456,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by checking out View Post
Why would you say this? And then change your mind? Double talk is all to common these days.
You misunderstood me.
What I meant is that the original term changed its meaning. Racism spoke about difference between human races, considering one race superior to others. If you belonged to an "inferior" race it was in your gens and couldn't get away by any means. There was nothing you could do to better your situation. Changing your culture didn't help. Even if you spoke excellent German with a local accent, converted to be a Protestant, got the best german education and assimilated in the german society, nothing mattered. Furthermore, your children were also doomed, without any hope even in the future. Your only duty in life was to serve the superior race. Much was spoken about Hitler and Jews, but not everyone knows that he also considered slavs to be inferior. When he invaded Russia in 1941 he planned to make millions into slaves (to the superior Arian race) and starve the others to death by taking away their food resources. Polish, Bulgarians, Czechs and many others were in the same category.
Today the term "racist" changed its meaning and it refers to cultural/ ethnic differences. If I don't like your culture I am a "racist", if you dislike mine, you are the "racist".

Last edited by oberon_1; 08-09-2009 at 05:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 06:50 PM

12,953 posts, read 13,665,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
No, that would be called memory. Intelligence is more of an ability to understand more difficult concepts. Remembering facts is different. That just means you have a good memory.

- Reel
The evidence between memory and Intelligence is still not clear as to if you can have one with out the other. maybe a savant can have a good memory and not be capable of intelligence,

Old 08-09-2009, 08:26 PM

825 posts, read 3,160,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I believe there are differences between the races. For example, I believe that, on average, Asians are more intelligent than Whites, Whites are more intelligent than Latinos, and Latinos are more intelligent than Blacks.

With that said, I don't believe that any one race is superior to others in all areas. For example, I believe that Blacks are more athletic than Whites, on average.

I'm in favor of treating everyone equally under the law. I just think it's foolish to try to pretend that there aren't differences between groups of people who evolved in very different environments over many thousands of years.

So, would you define me as a racist?
Your statements have some truth to them. You also have balls to openly express them like that, most people wouldn't take kindly if you told them that another race was more intelligent than their own race. I wouldn't say your a racist, because you specifically said that you don't think one race is superior to another, and you are not openly expressing any hate towards other races.

When you say Asians are smarter than whites, I feel like you have to do a breakdown of the different ethnicities (Korean, Chinese, Japanese, etc.) I have visited Japan and the Japanese are some of the most intelligent people I ever met. They tend to be very creative and ingenuitive people, they are so smart. I would have to say that they are smarter than most whites, but that's just my opinion.

A lot of people though think the Chinese are smart though. Now I've never been to China, but over 20% of the world's population is Chinese. So I would say that I've had to deal with a fair number of Chinese people and quite honestly, they don't seem that smart. They are extremely hard-working though, probably some of the most hard-working group of people I have ever met. Hardworkingness seems to be a common trait amongst Chinese folks. That's why they appear to be smart.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:12 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,485,684 times
Quote:
I find it interesting that you agree there are many differences between the races except for intellectual differences. The differences you agree to include behavioral differences, emotional differences and physical differences. On average blacks have higher testosterone levels than whites. Increased testosterone levels account for many emotional and behavioral differences. Its the major reason for the bahvioral and emotional differences between men and women. Yet for some reason, according to you, the brain and intellectual differences are somehow exempt. There are many differences except for intellectual differences. This is awfully naive don't you think?

The difference in athletic ability and some genetic diseases is due to the higher testosterone levels in blacks than whites. Higher testosterone levels also affect behavior and emotions. Testosterone will allow blacks to become much bigger and stronger through workouts than whites. That is why many athletes use hormones. It increases athletic ability. A higher testosterone level will also make one more aggressive in general and more sexually aggressive in particular.

- Reel
So high levels of testosterone are to blame.

What a pathetic excuse for lack of self control for ANY race, color or creed.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:49 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,205,685 times
I agree with this (except the Latino part, since Latinos can be of any race) but the reason why this will always cause controversy is that these statements rarely have any closure to them. In other words, those who disagree will continue to ask, "Why does it actually matter to make these statements when we are all seen as equal anyway?"

I think answering the question is absolutely necessary when stating that intelligence differs among different types of humans. Otherwise, these statements will continue to be seen by those who disagree as just fuel for the race supremacists to voice their opinions.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:32 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
The evidence between memory and Intelligence is still not clear as to if you can have one with out the other. maybe a savant can have a good memory and not be capable of intelligence,
Wouldn't assessing a measure of intelligence not just how well a person can learn but also how well they can apply the knowledge?
That covers savants,memory,etc.
It can also allow for environmental and formal education factors.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:19 AM

284 posts, read 542,679 times
Quote:
NO, THE ORIGINAL POSTER IS NOT A RACIST.

Recognizing that there are differences between the various races is not sufficient for the definition of racism. Otherwise recognizing that blacks are black and whites are white would be considered racist.

- Reel
Wrong sir.
You will see that my post does not speak to normal recognized differences of the races concerning physical traits. I was speaking to what the poster claimed to be recognized innate superiorities of one race over another in terms of intelligence, reasoning, and basic brain functions. That would be racism. You should try a little harder to defend racism than by quoting me out of context. I said that the OP was a racist in my opinion, and gave my reasons, which were pretty solid in backing up said opinion. You just blatantly came to his defense and said "NO HE IS NOT," without giving any solid reasoning to back it up; as if to say that your opinion intrinsically holds more weight in it's essence than mine. That might not automatically make you a racist but it proves that you are one or more of the following: a bigot, a zealot, non-cogitative, obdurate.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:55 AM

I'm sure the OP has a list of reputable, scholars, books, research, studies, academic programs, journals or articles to back up his claim that genetic differences between ethnic groups affects Innate Human Behavior, and establish once and for all a causal relationship between ethnic groups and behavior related to genetics............... Pamphlets from those Camps don't count.
I will give you :
Franz Boas, 1858-1942. Along with his student Alfred Kroeber, Franz Boas was one of the principal founders of modern American Anthropology and Ethnology

Not just black and white: historical ... - Google Books

PEP Web - Race: Science and Politics: By Ruth Benedict. New York: Modern Age Books, 1940. 274 pp.

Race Science is a field of politics that has no scientific merit or application to science.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:02 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,298,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWARK MAGIC View Post
Wrong sir.
You will see that my post does not speak to normal recognized differences of the races concerning physical traits. I was speaking to what the poster claimed to be recognized innate superiorities of one race over another in terms of intelligence, reasoning, and basic brain functions. That would be racism. You should try a little harder to defend racism than by quoting me out of context. I said that the OP was a racist in my opinion, and gave my reasons, which were pretty solid in backing up said opinion. You just blatantly came to his defense and said "NO HE IS NOT," without giving any solid reasoning to back it up; as if to say that your opinion intrinsically holds more weight in it's essence than mine. That might not automatically make you a racist but it proves that you are one or more of the following: a bigot, a zealot, non-cogitative, obdurate.
The various races ARE different. The differences DO extend beyond physical traits. Recognizing this fact is not sufficient for the definition of racism. The OP went out of his way to say that he didn't think any race was superior to any other race. He went out of his way to say that all races should be treated equal. That is not racist. I'm sorry but you are incorrect.

- Reel

Old 08-10-2009, 10:47 AM

Based on the OP's theory of “race science”, would it be fair to in the Olympics to make the White "races" line up next to Black "races" in the 50 or 100 yard dash? After all they are competing with individuals genetically inclined to win.
How can you treat people the same if you know they are not evenly matched?

A well known African American track coach who was hired to coach White runners went on record saying he clocked his white runners literally slowing down as they were approached by a black runner.
That is how pervasive race science is, none of them (the white runners) realized that they were doing this subconsciously .

Last edited by thriftylefty; 08-10-2009 at 10:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies