Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2009, 03:06 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,732,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
The more important question is why you accept at face value the "findings" of a group that has an agenda? What if the insurance industry had published a study that showed that everything was fine with our health care system? Would you accept that at face value? Who are these people without health insurance dying every 12 minutes? How many are gang bangers arriving in the ER all shot up? Or junkies dying from an over dose? Or winos dying on the street of hypothermia? Don't blame "our country" because there people don't have insurance. I'm not accepting blame for their lifestyle choices. The fact is that you can pass all the "reform" you want but such people will continue to die prematurely.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:19 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,785,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What's "crock" about that statement ?
Insurers ARE a private business free to do what they want.
The part about paying for it by yourself.
Sure I could pay for my own health care but that would put my family into serious debt.

People pay their insurance company to pay their medical bills for them. Sure they're a private business but they have an obligation to their policyholders.

No one buys health insurance under the expectation that they just might be killed because the CEO wants a new summer home.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:21 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,785,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
The more important question is why you accept at face value the "findings" of a group that has an agenda? What if the insurance industry had published a study that showed that everything was fine with our health care system? Would you accept that at face value? Who are these people without health insurance dying every 12 minutes? How many are gang bangers arriving in the ER all shot up? Or junkies dying from an over dose? Or winos dying on the street of hypothermia? Don't blame "our country" because there people don't have insurance. I'm not accepting blame for their lifestyle choices. The fact is that you can pass all the "reform" you want but such people will continue to die prematurely.
Okay...keep thinking everyone who doesn't have health insurance is just some bum.
Okay...

You do realize more businesses are going to start passing on the cost of health care to their employees and many are considering not even offering it?

Sure people can buy an individual policy but a lot of times these are expensive and there aren't as many protections for those in the individual insurance market.

Of course some people will always die prematurely but we can greatly reduce those numbers by having a better health care system.

Every group has an agenda and one of the last industries I'd trust is the health insurance industry, or at least a health insurance industry that has profit at heart.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:46 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,014,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
I already do. My marginal rate is far higher than 10%. My point is that everyone has a responsibility for their own well-being, even under a government plan.

You demonize the rich, but expect them to pay for everything. Assume you are successful in eliminating the rich - who is going to pay the tab then?
You cannot possibly expect someone who's IQ is below even 80 to be able to "be responsible for their own well-being." Nor an elderly widow with macular degeneration, nor a homeless veteran without adequate treatment because the VA can't afford it. There are simply too many people who have disabilities or illnesses that render them unable to follow your directive. If Stephen Hawking had been raised under the American health care system, the world would have an institutionalized genius and the world would have lost a treasure.
I do not demonize the rich, nor do I advocate "eliminating" them. What is unseemly is avarice, not wealth. What is needed is simply a return to the tax rates as they existed before Bush 43 cut them; most wealthy people seem to have done quite well, and would no doubt do well if the rates are changed to be more equitable. You can't keep raising taxes on the middle
and poor classes and cutting what the wealthiest pay, particularly without
mandating a higher minimum wage to help those who are unfairly burdened.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:51 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,308,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
You cannot possibly expect someone who's IQ is below even 80 to be able to "be responsible for their own well-being." Nor an elderly widow with macular degeneration, nor a homeless veteran without adequate treatment because the VA can't afford it. There are simply too many people who have disabilities or illnesses that render them unable to follow your directive. If Stephen Hawking had been raised under the American health care system, the world would have an institutionalized genius and the world would have lost a treasure.
I do not demonize the rich, nor do I advocate "eliminating" them. What is unseemly is avarice, not wealth. What is needed is simply a return to the tax rates as they existed before Bush 43 cut them; most wealthy people seem to have done quite well, and would no doubt do well if the rates are changed to be more equitable. You can't keep raising taxes on the middle
and poor classes and cutting what the wealthiest pay, particularly without
mandating a higher minimum wage to help those who are unfairly burdened.
If you had read any of my prior posts on this matter you would know that I advocate free medical care for the mentally disabled. Below-80 IQ is developmentally disabled, and I would take care of them also. There are people who cannot take care of themselves. There are many others who choose not to take responsibility for themselves.

sidebar: which Republian senator was a huge advocate for the mentally disabled?

Old 10-11-2009, 03:59 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
Quote:
How many of the uninsured are drug addicts or alcohol addicts? Howmany of them are uninsured but can afford health insurence because they don't want to pay for it but make over $ 75K a year?

Another left wing try to convince us wo are already paying!

Old 10-11-2009, 04:11 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,844,267 times
Quote:
Have you asked why medicad is the one that denies the most treatments? Why not fix that 1st before we add something else

Old 10-11-2009, 04:20 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
The part about paying for it by yourself.
Sure I could pay for my own health care but that would put my family into serious debt.

People pay their insurance company to pay their medical bills for them. Sure they're a private business but they have an obligation to their policyholders.

No one buys health insurance under the expectation that they just might be killed because the CEO wants a new summer home.
Ok..I didn't get which part you called a crock.
I agree with you on that..insurance outside of group coverage is sky high.

Old 10-11-2009, 04:21 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,945,935 times
Quote:
I don't mind paying higher taxes.
Famous words of someone likely living paycheck-to-paycheck paying little in taxes to begin with.

Old 10-11-2009, 04:55 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,014,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
If you had read any of my prior posts on this matter you would know that I advocate free medical care for the mentally disabled. Below-80 IQ is developmentally disabled, and I would take care of them also. There are people who cannot take care of themselves. There are many others who choose not to take responsibility for themselves.

sidebar: which Republian senator was a huge advocate for the mentally disabled?
I'm happy to read that, GOPATTA2D. Now extend that largesse to anyone who needs medical attention that they cannot afford.
Easy question: Pete Domenici. I used to live in N.M.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies