Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 09:10 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
Well please, tell us all.

I was a member of SEIU (Service Employees International Union) while working at a Seattle-area hospital--as a medical coder. In fact, most of us within medical records were members of the union.

Was it mandatory?

Absolutely not.

Did the union bring down the hospital?

No. They fought for better wages, which we got--twice. When I began working there, that hospital was one of the worst for medical record pay, and within 4 years they were just shy of industry standard. During that same time, the hospital added a new wing.

I worked at two other hospitals that had the option to join the Office and Professional Employees International Union (OPEIU), and one that used to have OPEIU. The two that currently had OPEIU had the best benefits and pay, and the one that did not was near the bottom for both.

One caveat: all hospitals I've worked at with union presence eliminated our option to strike. Many other unions do not have the power they once had to effect change.
No, it was a legitimate question. I know the S stand for service but I don't know what kind of service. You are talking about hospital workers and I was thinking waiters and doormen. Whatever it is, the vision (not mine) for America is to totally make us a "service" workforce not a manufacturing workforce and I'm just intimating that SEIU is THE union that dovetails with that vision, hence, the power that they are now experiencing is by design by the Democrats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 09:18 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,903,605 times
It must be a pretty embarrassing thing to be beat up by, or threatened by, bus boys, wait staff, and car hops ..

Old 08-10-2009, 09:21 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
at least someone made this helpful warning sign-

the RNs in michigan certainly could have used it.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:34 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,228,724 times
SEIU Local 2001 (http://www.weeklystandard.com/weblogs/TWSFP/SEIU%20memo.asp - broken link)

Quote:
It is critical that our members with real, personal stories about the need for access to quality, affordable care come out in strong numbers to drown out their voices.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
SEIU Local 2001 (http://www.weeklystandard.com/weblogs/TWSFP/SEIU%20memo.asp - broken link)
It's not even a very big Union at that ... um .. 2 million or so?

They better bring their bull horns .... 'cause 30 million can absolutely make a bigger noise than these guys could.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:18 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,735,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
No, it was a legitimate question. I know the S stand for service but I don't know what kind of service. You are talking about hospital workers and I was thinking waiters and doormen. Whatever it is, the vision (not mine) for America is to totally make us a "service" workforce not a manufacturing workforce and I'm just intimating that SEIU is THE union that dovetails with that vision, hence, the power that they are now experiencing is by design by the Democrats.
Sorry, but you're really making a stretch here.

SEIU has members in medical records, nursing, food service, and other healthcare positions...as to other industries, I do not know specifics.

If it is your opinion that jobs in healthcare are somehow beneath those in manufacturing, I just do not know what to say to you.

SEIU and other similar organizations help to KEEP our jobs in America with contracts giving us priority.

To intimate something cryptic and ludicrous is laughable.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:20 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,735,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
It must be a pretty embarrassing thing to be beat up by, or threatened by, bus boys, wait staff, and car hops ..

Do you EVER write a post based on facts???

Old 08-10-2009, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
Do you EVER write a post based on facts???
Bus boys and wait staff aren't a part of the service industry? Since when?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies