Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 11:30 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Why don't you answer the question? I suspect you cannot, but try anyway with dodging it.

To repeat: If labeling dissent as Un-American during the Bush years was wrong, why is it acceptable for Democrats (and you) to do so now?
Speaking of Repeating!

NO ONE has labeled dissent as being un-American. The quote was, drowning out the voices of others is un-American.

Surely this can't be this difficult?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 11:32 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It is not acceptable for Democrats or anyone else to label dissent as Un-American. And that is not what Pelosi and her cohorts have done.

Please. Pelosi has implied dissenters are Nazis while Barbara Boxer and White House officials have criticized <gasp!> the way people are dressed. Add to that the legions of mindless leftists, many of whom post on this site, who tag any criticism of Obama as racist. I cannot imagine the level of a mind that equates a desire for fiscal sanity with racism. Yet, that is where we are.

Protesting is noble if one is on the left. But should the other side, excercise the same rights, then it is tagged deplorable, bogus, Nazi, and yes, Un-American.

Universal Health Care at warp speed? Not in my name!

Old 08-10-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Speaking of Repeating!

NO ONE has labeled dissent as being un-American. The quote was, drowning out the voices of others is un-American.

Surely this can't be this difficult?
When someone can say it better than I:

If only we’d stuck to the president’s August timetable and passed a gazillion-page health-care reform entirely unread by the House of Representatives or the Senate (the world’s greatest deliberative body) in nothing flat, we’d now have all the time in the world to sit around having a “serious discussion” and “real debate” on whatever it was we just did to one-sixth of the economy.

Talk about drowning out!

Old 08-10-2009, 11:50 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,550,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
There is no "final bill" right now.

In fact, there is no single bill; there are several bills coming out of different committees, all of which are still a work in progress.

I have a suggestion. If you have a specific question that you can't find the answer to, call your representative's office and ask. If you don't know how to reach them, let me know who they are and I will get their phone number(s) for you.
Would that be something like the action a group of seniors took in try to see their senator, Barbara Boxer? She refused to see them and called the cops on them.

Really ready to deal with the voters there, Babs.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:52 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Please. Pelosi has implied dissenters are Nazis while Barbara Boxer and White House officials have criticized <gasp!> the way people are dressed. Add to that the legions of mindless leftists, many of whom post on this site, who tag any criticism of Obama as racist. I cannot imagine the level of a mind that equates a desire for fiscal sanity with racism. Yet, that is where we are.

Protesting is noble if one is on the left. But should the other side, excercise the same rights, then it is tagged deplorable, bogus, Nazi, and yes, Un-American.

Universal Health Care at warp speed? Not in my name!
No, this is evidently what you want to see. Pelosi has noted seeing Nazi symbols on protesters' signs and placards. The swastika has been depicted on several signs, not because the protesters are pro-Nazi, but because they are trying to protest what they see as fascism. But there is nothing fascist about the health care plan, so it leaves the question open as to why the protesters are making that connection.

Our current health care system is NOT the best in the world. But it does have some of the best services available to those who can afford it. Unfortunately, as a people, Americans are paying more for healthcare than anyone else in the world as a percentage of our GNP, and that is hurting our country economically. Health care costs have to reigned in, and that's what this debate is about. Unfortunately, the pharmaceuticals and other medical manufacturers who've been reaping incredibly high profits don't want to see this happen. And insurance companies are siding with them, not because they don't want to reign in health care costs, but because they want to be the ones in control of that process. They have nothing to lose, because they can now choose who to insure and who is too costly to insure, and the people with the most expensive conditions or people too poor to pay are already being subsidized by the government. Certainly, this is not a simple issue, and there is a lot of misinformation going around. But the town meetings that our Congressional representatives are trying to hold are meant to be two-way streets to help constituents understand what is being proposed (a subject of a great deal of misinformation as exampled by Palin's weekend twitter) as well as to help Congress understand what issues are most important to constituents and what their concerns are regarding the proposed legislation.

Again, going to a town meeting where the point is supposed to be an exchange, and subverting that exchange, is a subversion of the Democratic process. People who are attending those town meetings with the intention of silencing the representatives by shouting him down are not serving a Democratic agenda. They aren't. There is no way they could be, because in a democracy, people are supposed to be heard on different issues, not silenced.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
No, this is evidently what you want to see. Pelosi has noted seeing Nazi symbols on protesters' signs and placards. The swastika has been depicted on several signs, not because the protesters are pro-Nazi, but because they are trying to protest what they see as fascism. But there is nothing fascist about the health care plan, so it leaves the question open as to why the protesters are making that connection.

Our current health care system is NOT the best in the world. But it does have some of the best services available to those who can afford it. Unfortunately, as a people, Americans are paying more for healthcare than anyone else in the world as a percentage of our GNP, and that is hurting our country economically. Health care costs have to reigned in, and that's what this debate is about. Unfortunately, the pharmaceuticals and other medical manufacturers who've been reaping incredibly high profits don't want to see this happen. And insurance companies are siding with them, not because they don't want to reign in health care costs, but because they want to be the ones in control of that process. They have nothing to lose, because they can now choose who to insure and who is too costly to insure, and the people with the most expensive conditions or people too poor to pay are already being subsidized by the government. Certainly, this is not a simple issue, and there is a lot of misinformation going around. But the town meetings that our Congressional representatives are trying to hold are meant to be two-way streets to help constituents understand what is being proposed (a subject of a great deal of misinformation as exampled by Palin's weekend twitter) as well as to help Congress understand what issues are most important to constituents and what their concerns are regarding the proposed legislation.

Again, going to a town meeting where the point is supposed to be an exchange, and subverting that exchange, is a subversion of the Democratic process. People who are attending those town meetings with the intention of silencing the representatives by shouting him down are not serving a Democratic agenda. They aren't. There is no way they could be, because in a democracy, people are supposed to be heard on different issues, not silenced.
If the use of swastikas by protestors is so abhorrent to you and Speaker Pelosi, then why in the name of hell was it perfectly acceptable to tag George Bush a Nazi, create images of him in full stormtrooper regalia, and broadcast the completely moronic notion that he was somehow "worse than Hitler."?

Somehow I doubt you were rushing in to dissuade your buddies on the left from such loathsome behavior.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:21 PM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times
“Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson

Old 08-10-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
If the use of swastikas by protestors is so abhorrent to you and Speaker Pelosi, then why in the name of hell was it perfectly acceptable to tag George Bush a Nazi, create images of him in full stormtrooper regalia, and broadcast the completely moronic notion that he was somehow "worse than Hitler."?

Somehow I doubt you were rushing in to dissuade your buddies on the left from such loathsome behavior.
It wasn't perfectly acceptable. I've never called President Bush a name, and I've gone to lengths to understand why he did the things he did. Which would be why I mentioned in my post the explanation of Bush's comments about war protesters. And I am on record for frequently rushing in when "my buddies on the left" have attacked Palin. And you can verify this repeatedly right on this forum.

In the meantime, is your sudden decision to wage a personal attack an acknowledgment that the people who've attended the town meetings with the intention of disrupting those meetings are indeed behaving badly?

Old 08-10-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
“Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
This is a misattribution. I love the sentiment. But Jefferson experts dispute that this is actually a quote of his.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
It wasn't perfectly acceptable. I've never called President Bush a name, and I've gone to lengths to understand why he did the things he did. Which would be why I mentioned in my post the explanation of Bush's comments about war protesters. And I am on record for frequently rushing in when "my buddies on the left" have attacked Palin. And you can verify this repeatedly right on this forum.

In the meantime, is your sudden decision to wage a personal attack an acknowledgment that the people who've attended the town meetings with the intention of disrupting those meetings are indeed behaving badly?
Behaving badly? LOL! Perhaps it is a legitimate response to the half-assed way Congress and the Executive Branch have approached this issue. Perhaps people cry foul when someone proposes spending trillions yet speaks of cost containment in the same paragraph. Or perhaps they are tired of being branded racist when they simply disagree.

Seems to me Pelosi & Co are feeling the heat and are doing what cornered rats to- leap and bite. Everybody wants some kind of health care reform. If they had taken the high road, very few people would be opossing them with such venom. They reap what they sow.

But I will agree the use of swastikas is a bit tastless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies