Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 10:39 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorock99 View Post
I've never seen this before, but i have not been living in this country that long. I'm not a repub or demo, but it is sickening me to see how many people would rather we fail economically as a country. This is crazy.

I remember there were people that wanted the war efforts to fail, but i have never seen people well American citizens hoping the economy fails and they are out of a job etc.

Has this happened before? I know the CD posters that post this stuff, are not a good representations of the majority of Americans, but the fact that we have a rather sizable population of people that want to see us fail is alarming. I mean I'd estimate this group is at least 20% or more of the population.

The better the news gets the more rowdy they get, the more crazy they become, the more insane their scare tactics become. This is why i fear they will stop at nothing to internally destroy the economy and they will stop at nothing to inflict acts of terrorism on their fellow citizens. They've done it before and they'll do it again.

My words of warning "YOU AIN"T SEEN NOTHING YET"

I think these are the same people that bombed churches, kill abortion doctors, etc. They are freaking nuts! I hope the radio host that support their terrorism go to jail when they start their war on American citizens and this country.
You're kidding, right?

You think we ordinary folk out here on the street were happy to see our 401Ks chopped in half (or worse) b/c of this economic debacle?

You think we are happy that 13% (where I live) of our citizens are out of work?

You think we are happy that our jobs have been shipped to China and India?

This is a joke, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 12:46 PM

1,902 posts, read 2,468,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkins Well View Post
My dad is a commercial real estate developer in the Denver area, and currently his only business is with public projects that are receiving funding from the stimulus package. He has seen zero business from the private sector since last September. Just shows that this can be a good thing for certain private industries right now and I'm looking forward to see what happens when states actually spend all their stimulus money. What is it right now, around 10% of all stimulus money that has been allocated so far?

I think that's about right. The rest they are saving for buying votes during election year.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:25 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,733,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
My thoughts - I'd rather they didn't put up the signs, since the signs cost money that could be used for more construction/repair projects. But.....

I think this is a clear case of, damned if you do, and damned if you don't. People have been complaining that they don't know or can't see where any of the stimulus money is going ... but if they start putting up signs telling you where some of it's going, people whine about that.

I just got back from a vacation in Maine - 2,000 miles round trip, with a couple of side trips thrown in. And I saw such signs in several different locations. The first one surprised me - I didn't know they were doing that.

Oh, and in each case where there was a sign, there was actual work being done - no announcing of future or planned work, but actual current work.
I'm from Maine and I know a little something about the crumbling infrastructure here. For 40 years the Dems have dominated state government and have spent every dime they could get their hands on to placate and buy every speical interest that would vote for them. They robbed the Highway Trust Fund to pay for their largesse and let the roads and bridges crumble. Roads don't vote, you see. Our roads desparately need repair. But why should the people of Georgia or Wyoming pay to repair our roads? Why should Maine's profligacy, or California's for that matter, be cured by the more prudent citizens of other states?

Old 08-10-2009, 02:45 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,948,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot05 View Post
I'm sitting at work and look out of the window and saw the stimulus package at work today. It put 3 guys to work for 1 1/2 hours each.

They were putting a sign up next to a road that would be having construction done sometime in the future. The sign said something like "funded by the American Recovery Act".

How stupid is the federal govt? I wonder how much money they are wasting putting these permanant signs up at every road they will do construction on. The construction wont probably start until all of their advertising is up in the form of these road signs.
I just returned from Big Bear this weekend. Driving home I passed one of those signs. It was odd because there was no construction anywhere. It stuck me at how fitting that was, as that's about amounts to what the stimulus package actually stimulated: NOTHING.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:52 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,029,439 times
for every sign they put up they can claim yet another shovel ready project

Old 08-20-2009, 04:23 PM

34 posts, read 119,184 times
It is true that 10% of the $800 billion stimulus money will be allocated this year, but one also needs to keep in mind that we have already allocated $200 billion + in the form of tax cuts, and $200 billion + from the stimulus money left by the Bush administration.

So, it is a decent amount of spending already. While there is always wastage with government spending, keep in mind that Japan, Germany, and some other countries have emerged from the recession via government spending. It usually takes time for fiscal policy to work. Also, remember that if we spend all of the stimulus money this year, we could end up with too much inflation.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:27 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Quote:
I'm sitting at work and look out of the window and saw the stimulus package at work today. It put 3 guys to work for 1 1/2 hours each.

They were putting a sign up next to a road that would be having construction done sometime in the future. The sign said something like "funded by the American Recovery Act".

How stupid is the federal govt? I wonder how much money they are wasting putting these permanant signs up at every road they will do construction on. The construction wont probably start until all of their advertising is up in the form of these road signs.
Basically its PR... public relations... its so they can cram other bad things down your throat and point to the sign and saying what a good job they did... distract and conquer...

Old 08-20-2009, 04:39 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,349,669 times
Quote:

There's a sign on my street saying "Undergrounding of Overhead Power Lines, 1997-1999" It still hasn't started yet...

Old 08-20-2009, 04:42 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:

Most of the ones here are being worked on at night. People ride by I-575 and see the sign and the idle equipment and think nobody is working but they work all night on it. The sign lets you know that the Recovery Act is providing jobs and projects in your area.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:43 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
You're kidding, right?

You think we ordinary folk out here on the street were happy to see our 401Ks chopped in half (or worse) b/c of this economic debacle?

You think we are happy that 13% (where I live) of our citizens are out of work?

You think we are happy that our jobs have been shipped to China and India?

This is a joke, right?
You are not blaming Obama for this are you? I hope not. Bad things tend to happen when people vote Republican!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies