Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 09:49 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkins Well View Post
Your predictions intrigue me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Admittedly it is not really going out on a limb since support for Obamacare is falling fast. And the generic Congressional polls are going the GOPs way as well as the Virginia and NJ governors races.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 10:07 PM

485 posts, read 1,455,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Have those Republicans been working to get the important parts of their bill into the House and/or Senate bills?
Do you have some reason to believe that they have not? I don't think that Pelosi has shown any interest in working with Republicans - in fact just the opposite appears to be true.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:15 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post

Thank you Jill for sending the emails to your representatives.
You're welcome. We all deserve answers to honest questions about this bill, and we'd be foolish not to ask any.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:16 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
That's really a shame as the Republican introduced a bill earlier this year but, the Democratic leadership in the House will not let it go for a committee hearing.

Obviously, Pelosi is afraid that the American public might think it makes too much sense -
Maybe it was too little too late.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:26 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
EXACTLY what are they doing to the constitution?
Stomping on it. This healthplan is unconstitutional. You figure it out for yourself. I already know it. I bet the AARP are putting together their lawsuit at this moment. At least I hope they are.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:28 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
If you've tuned into the news in the past few days, it's clear that the debate about health insurance reform has heated up as Senators and Representatives return to their home states and districts. A troubling trend has also emerged: as more people become engaged in the issue, defenders of the status quo have responded by muddying the waters with more wild rumors and scare tactics.

It's time for a reality check.

Today the White House is rolling out a new website that focuses on what reform really means for you and your family, debunks some common myths along the way and provides you with online tools and content to share the facts with friends, family and anyone else in your social network.

The White House - Blog Post - Reality Check
This is the site: Get the facts about the stability and security you get from health insurance reform | Health Insurance Reform Reality Check

How sad that the idiot rumors and lies are such a blizzard that they have to do this -- but they had to during the campaign, too.

I'm not sure how the White House can say anything with any certainty. From another post of mine in another thread:

There is no House bill.

"Legislation from three House committees will have to be blended; and the House bill will have to be reconciled with still-evolving legislation in the Senate."

"House Democratic leaders have yet to resolve the differences among bills passed by three House committees."

Democrats struggle to sell an undecided health plan - Los Angeles Times August 8, 2009

Democrats struggle to sell an undecided health plan - Los Angeles Times

That's why the Town Hall meeting politicians are shooting blanks and don't know what the heck they're talking about further pissing off citizens. They're answering questions on a bill that doesn't exist yet. They don't even know what will make the cut or be modified. So, it truly behooves citizens to let them know what parts of healthcare reform being bandied about that they don't like.

Everyone expected that at Obama's last press conference he would say which bill he supported and why he did so people could go and read that particular one. Instead he was up in the clouds with high falootin' visionary healthcare rhetoric instead of being down with the details and saying "I support the John Doe/Jack Smith bill" and what's in it regarding A, B, C and D.

I heard the AARP guy back peddling tonight by adding caveats like "...well, if that's actually in the bill, we wouldn't support that."

Old 08-10-2009, 10:30 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marysally View Post
Do you have some reason to believe that they have not? I don't think that Pelosi has shown any interest in working with Republicans - in fact just the opposite appears to be true.
I don't know why the Republicans would want to work with her in any way. How did we get from no government healthcare to wanting Republicans to work on a healthcare plan. I told Pelosi that she should throw out this healthcare plan and not start another one. This, "which healthcare plan do you want" mind control does not work with me. I don't want any new healthcare plan that involves the government and taxes to pay for it.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:47 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marysally View Post
In other words, you dont know. Surely it's possible to find information about it, if it's true.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I'm not sure how the White House can say anything with any certainty. From another post of mine in another thread:

There is no House bill.

"Legislation from three House committees will have to be blended; and the House bill will have to be reconciled with still-evolving legislation in the Senate."

"House Democratic leaders have yet to resolve the differences among bills passed by three House committees."

Democrats struggle to sell an undecided health plan - Los Angeles Times August 8, 2009

Democrats struggle to sell an undecided health plan - Los Angeles Times

That's why the Town Hall meeting politicians are shooting blanks and don't know what the heck they're talking about further pissing off citizens. They're answering questions on a bill that doesn't exist yet. They don't even know what will make the cut or be modified. So, it truly behooves citizens to let them know what parts of healthcare reform being bandied about that they don't like.

Everyone expected that at Obama's last press conference he would say which bill he supported and why he did so people could go and read that particular one. Instead he was up in the clouds with high falootin' visionary healthcare rhetoric instead of being down with the details and saying "I support the John Doe/Jack Smith bill" and what's in it regarding A, B, C and D.

I heard the AARP guy back peddling tonight by adding caveats like "...well, if that's actually in the bill, we wouldn't support that."
The purpose of the realitycheck FAQ is to debunk the crazy lies and rumors that are being fed and fed and fed to susceptible people until they're in hysterics. Somewhere there is a responsible nonpartisan summary of the House bill; it's not being kept a secret, it is finite collection of information. It's possible to keep up with news from the committees that are contributing to the Senate bill.

For people who say they only want to learn the facts, the Town Hall people certainly dont seem interested in researching.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Stomping on it. This healthplan is unconstitutional. You figure it out for yourself. I already know it. I bet the AARP are putting together their lawsuit at this moment. At least I hope they are.
How is it unconstitutional?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies