Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 08:51 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,843,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Personal responsibility is a great thing. Your scope is very simplistic and limited, tunnel vision. Personal responsibility of changing life style will not prevent all diseases. For example: breast cancer in women, heart problems, various conditions which affect vital organs. Most children under 10 don't smoke, but can still suffer from cancer.
Getting a better job may help to buy healthcare. But not everyone will be able (regardless of efforts) to get a better job. So, would you then agree, that those who can't afford healthcare shouldn't even bother to get check-ups?
I also wonder how a person with a serious health problem would get a better job?
I understand that Visvaldi. Your question was why should anyone go to get a physical when the results from that physical could indicate much more cost to that person by way of a catastrophic diagnosis
I replied by saying that physicals usually show nothing and often show problematic results which can be addressed by lifestyle changes. Therefore going to get a physical is always a good idea no matter what your current coverage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 08:55 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
I understand that Visvaldi. Your question was why should anyone go to get a physical when the results from that physical could indicate much more cost to that person by way of a catastrophic diagnosis
I replied by saying that physicals usually show nothing and often show problematic results which can be addressed by lifestyle changes. Therefore going to get a physical is always a good idea no matter what your current coverage.
If you can afford to do so...............

Old 08-11-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
This is the most honest response. It should be made the official response of those opposing healthcare reform. Anything else would be much too phony and pretentious.
"Medical problem, No healthcare? Go freak yourself."
My point?
Why am I covered? Why is it that I am not asking you to pay for my healthcare? What is my obligation to pay for the healthcare of someone who I have never met in my life.
To be honest, I would never actually go to that length of not caring. I believe that there are certainly people out there who need a leg up once in a while. A helping hand. There are also just as many people out there who do not deserve the help. Do not deserve to get my money. Those people I do not want to help.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
If you can afford to do so...............
Then don't!

Old 08-11-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Then don't!
exactly.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
My point?
Why am I covered? Why is it that I am not asking you to pay for my healthcare? What is my obligation to pay for the healthcare of someone who I have never met in my life.
You are covered because you are fortunate enough to be covered. Ultimately, you, and the rest of us, do end up paying for those who are uninsured and go to emergency rooms with preventable illnesses that would have been arrested early on in their progression if they could have had affordable access to a doctor, or those who simply go there because they have no other options.

Does your insurance cover severe myopia?

Old 08-11-2009, 09:10 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
[quote=Sunil's Dad;10220913]You are covered because you are fortunate enough to be covered. Ultimately, you, and the rest of us, do end up paying for those who are uninsured and go to emergency rooms with preventable illnesses that would have been arrested early on in their progression if they could have had affordable access to a doctor, or those who simply go there because they have no other options.

Does your insurance cover severe myopia?[/quote]

Does Medicare, Medicaid or the currently proposed plan?
Not for adults.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:12 AM

[quote=old_cold;10220998]
Quote:
You are covered because you are fortunate enough to be covered. Ultimately, you, and the rest of us, do end up paying for those who are uninsured and go to emergency rooms with preventable illnesses that would have been arrested early on in their progression if they could have had affordable access to a doctor, or those who simply go there because they have no other options.

Does your insurance cover severe myopia?[/quote]

Does Medicare, Medicaid or the currently proposed plan?
Not for adults.
That's a problem.............

Old 08-11-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
exactly.
Thus, not my problem.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Thus, not my problem.
That's what you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies