Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 09:45 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowolves View Post
yes, my van WILL PROTECT ME AND MY CHILDREN. DUH. ARE YOU DISPUTING THAT PHOTO? IF SO, YOU ARE AN ID*OT.
Quote:
what a lame-ass argument. anyone can buy different wheels for any car. duh.

You are aware that name calling and profanity are in violation of the TOS, right? Not a very good example to set for children who might happen upon this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 09:47 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
It seems to me, based on the size and shape of a Smart Car that if that were a Smart Car, it would have been shoved underneath the black dumptruck.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:49 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,564,932 times
Did anyone pause to think that perhaps YOU are the danger on the road? You w/your huge hummer, SUV, van, etc. just to feel safe on the road? You know, if YOU happened to get in an accident w/a smaller car, how do you think you'd feel knowing your oversized vehicle is what killed or hurt the people in the smaller car? But how silly of me, people like you don't think of others.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:54 AM

189 posts, read 335,671 times
Here's a crazy idea for all the Democrats and Republicans out there...

How about people make their OWN choices about what kind of vehicles they are "allowed" to drive?

We already have VERY energy-efficient vehicles that are also not nearly as safe as others. They are called MOTORCYCLES. These are legal. But if I wanted to take similar risks of my own safety without getting wet or cold during the winter while driving one of many super-efficient cars that exist outside America, or build my own, it would be ILLEGAL, because the government thinks it has to ensure my safety.

Of course, pointing out the stupidity of government regulation of transportation won't stop all the democrats and republicans around here arguing about which version of the nanny-state is better.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:01 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,244,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
So you believe that he is for things he never stated based on what you see as ulterior motives based on the fact you already hate him? What was that old statement? When you assume you make an a** of u and me?
As I just said there, smart cars don't get good mileage...there are a number of cars that get better mileage that are larger and safer. Being for more fuel efficiency doesn't translate to you have to buy one car (that was never stated), that doesn't even get good mileage based on secret TV waves only you seem to hear...I think that's called delusion.
Not quite. What I'm saying is that I don't believe he or Congress are being intellectually honest about their proposals. For instance, let's take healthcare. I know we're talking about cars, but I'm using it as an illustration. regardless that they keep hammering away at the fact that if you like your insurance plan or doctor, you can keep it and nothing will change, this most likely will NOT be the case OVER TIME. Businesses will offload their insurance plans for the "cheaper" government plan. A friend of mine who owns a small business said he would do just this, as it would save him about $400 per employee. Ask yourself this: If the current system is so horrible and so broken, then WHY would you have the option to keep your own doctor and coverage in the first place?

That aside, HOW does it work that the public option will cover more people for less money and be deficit neutral? It just doesn't wash. My best friend is a nurse. My cousin is a GP. Both say that the system is already overburdened and there is a shortage of health care practitioners. How do we add, say 40 million people without increasing the staff? Where does this money come from? How much does it cost? Who decides how much these doctors make? Where do these doctors and practioners come from? Too many questions and not enough answers and specifics. People are asking these hard questions and their getting canned, generalized answers, and they don't deserve that. I've worked in and for Govt for a number of years, and I can tell you that when you need to renovate or repair the living room of your house, the Govt's answer is to tear down the whole house. Not cost effective. Not even logical. We're talking about 17% of the economy and there should NOT be a rush in this. There should be a healthy debate and feedback as long as it takes so that we do this right. If there is a rush, then I have to believe this is intellectually dishonest.

Now, I know there isn't a car bill or anything like that, but I can't help to think about what I have seen already and draw it to a number of possible, logical conclusions regarding cars and transportation.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:06 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
yes, my van WILL PROTECT ME AND MY CHILDREN. DUH. ARE YOU DISPUTING THAT PHOTO? IF SO, YOU ARE AN ID*OT.
That photo doesn't appear to show a Smart car.
Your van would be crushed, as well.
President Obama never asked anyone to buy a Smart car.

Apart from that, great post!

Old 08-11-2009, 10:07 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
This whole argument is pretty silly. Newton's law and simple physics (F=ma) dictates that a smaller and lighter vehicle will receive more force in an accident than a heavier and larger vehicle. Of course other factors such as speed and direction of impact will be important, but all other things being equal a Smart Car will receive much worse damage in a crash when compared to a normal sized vehicle. This is not a political statement but just a fact.

Now you may choose a Smart Car for political or economic reasons, but accept that it is less safe.

Personally I find them ridiculous and wouldn't be caught alive in one, let alone dead.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:26 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,828,864 times
Oh Noes...Hussein wants me to drive a question mark?
Huh?
This thread fails

Old 08-11-2009, 10:27 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,931 times
Quote:

Father, daughter killed in I-10 wreck (http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/95477 - broken link)

Those are/were my cousins. They were in an SUV. Their vehicle was sheared in half, and so destroyed it didn't even resemble a car anymore.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:37 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,451,966 times
I am sorry to hear that Jill. That is very sad. We are not invincible simply because we drive SUVs or trucks, etc.

But I am certainly never going to buy a tiny deathtrap like the smartcar. (does that marketing get under anyone else's skin too? SMARTcar, SMART grid? Good thing most of us are not easily brainwashed. The victims of these deathtraps will likely be those with an attraction to labels which help us to compensate for intellectual deficits. Or public school graduates who have been fully indoctrinated into the cult of global warming at the expense of the quality of human life.

Hey, Greg, which of these guys are you? My guess is that you are the guy with the pimp hat.
iowahawk: Lemon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies