Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 01:11 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,062,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Thats simply not true. Sooner or later it will match the price of gasoline, think of it this way.

Right now, Electricity is low, Oil prices are high.

As demand increases for Electricity, the price will go up. The more electricity that is being used for cars, means that less oil is being used. As the demand for oil decreases, the price will also decrease.

Sooner or later, those two will reach an equilibrium where the prices will be about the same.

I'm in favor of using electric, its less harmful for the environment, and its home grown power. I'm just pointing out a true fact, that will happen. It may not be in our lifetime, but I think that it will.
The price of electricity has historically not increased with demand. Over the long haul it's tended to fall as scale economies and technology improves. Such will likely be the future for electricity as wind, solar, and other renewable technologies mature. Further, electric cars are expected to charge at night. Electric utilities could double their energy deliver from the existing plant infrastructure, if they could control when that energy is delivered i.e. at night.

The price of oil and the price of natural gas used to track. They no longer do. For two prices through the force of markets to converge they have to be fungible. There's no credible scenario where gasoline and electricity become replacements for each other. Electricity will simply take market share from oil, but electricity will remain a largely cost-based industry, especially off peak when cars will be recharged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 06:56 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compJockey View Post
Bleh, lol.
I had a whole day of being happy with american innovation (even though the battery technology came from international company's help).

Thanks Purple.
(disappointed sarcasm smiley)

I like the Volt concept look - not as happy with the production look (I've attached images of both).

Images from:
Chevy Volt | Auto Spectator
http://blog.autoworld.com.my/wp-cont...8/09/volt1.jpg
I actually like the production look. The concept look was too masculine for my taste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies