Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 01:46 PM

20,263 posts, read 19,850,330 times

Advertisements

If one is breaking the law, particulary a law that could be deadly to citzens, I have no problem with informants.

Same as with drug dealers, violent predators and the like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 02:04 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,444,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
These have begun popping up around my county.

Now the "gun" part of it isnt so much the issue with me, so no need to turn this into another thread on 2nd amendment rights.

The "gun" issue as stated here could be replaced with anything really...even something like, "know someone that isnt down with UHC? We'll pay for that information"

Basically, this is conditioning, and recruiting for informants, as a way to make an income, isnt it? Is this the "stimulus" at work?
Do I have a problem with illegal guns being taken off the street and a hotline in order to expedite the process? Nope.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:19 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,769,662 times
Quote:
Unwarrented? I dont think so. Yes, I would be happy to report a crime, in which there is a clear victim involved. Most of those things you listed would be on my list. The simple act of owning a (unregistered) gun,(and how would one know if it is registered or not) does not make anybody a victim. Neither would my opinion on a variety of issues.
And neither does owning a prostitution ring where adults consent. Or, drugs under possession with no "victims" around. But then, you seem to be just fine with those.

Or, wait... did you say nothing can be illegal unless there's a victim?

Old 08-11-2009, 02:24 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,712,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Do I have a problem with illegal guns being taken off the street and a hotline in order to expedite the process? Nope.

Nice answer, but that wasnt the question, was it?

Lets try it this way.....Would you feel differently if the billboard asked for informants to identify persons with the word "punk" in their C-D user name, so they could be properly persecu...., er prosecuted? Because the "punk" might cause some type of problem in the future?

Old 08-11-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
And neither does owning a prostitution ring where adults consent. Or, drugs under possession with no "victims" around. But then, you seem to be just fine with those.

Or, wait... did you say nothing can be illegal unless there's a victim?
Not what I said, sorry if it is what you came away with, from your comprehension of it.....

Old 08-11-2009, 02:34 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,838,666 times
Those who support this,could you post what an 'illegal gun' looks like so we can all know what to report?

Thanks ever so much.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Not what I said, sorry if it is what you came away with, from your comprehension of it.....
That is exactly what you said. If no victims involved, there is no reason to report. If you still disagree, answer:

Would you report possession of (illegal) drugs in your neighborhood? Would you report illegal immigrants?

Old 08-11-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:

Would you report possession of (illegal) drugs in your neighborhood? Would you report illegal immigrants?

I would very likely not know, first hand of illegal drugs in my neighborhood, as I do not associate with that particular element. I could only "speculate" that is what is happening, as I dialed the phone to report any resulting disturbance in my neighborhood. Not a call I could make, any more than one could make the same call regarding an "illegal" gun. How could I know? I could only suspect.....see the difference?

As too illegal immigrants, yes. I consider the Tax payers of the USA to be their direct victims. But you see, that is my opinion, and perhaps not yours.
Perhaps when you see the bulletin board asking for informants, to inform on "illegal alien" informants, you can cash in on the knowledge I just imparted to you.

Starting to understand what the gist of the actual conversation is about here?

Old 08-11-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
As too illegal immigrants, yes. I consider the Tax payers of the USA to be their direct victims. But you see, that is my opinion, and perhaps not yours.
Perhaps when you see the bulletin board asking for informants, to inform on "illegal alien" informants, you can cash in on the knowledge I just imparted to you.

Starting to understand what the gist of the actual conversation is about here?
So you're fine with "selective" bulletin boards like these, as long as they bode well with your whim. Nice! And just what I expected.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
So you're fine with "selective" bulletin boards like these, as long as they bode well with your whim. Nice! And just what I expected.

Didnt say I was fine with any billboards like this. In fact I gave examples of WHY I am not fine with it. In a case, where no crime has been directly witnessed by someone, how can the "informant" even be certain that a crime was commited?

But your continued line of questioning regarding anything but the subject matter will allow you to spin whatever it is you are trying to spin, within your own mind. Your comprehension problems are none of my own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies